Problem with Fat Shark FPV and GoPro H3

Reaction score
I've had my FS Predator FPV set up for about two weeks and have been trying to link my Hero 3 Black to it. The first adapter cord I got did not work with the H3. http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=11272

Assuming it was a bad cord, I bought a different style of cord. http://www.gothelirc.com/images/fpv/FPVGOPRO3.gif

The second cord, same problem. I checked to make sure the pins were in the proper order, still nothing. I then tried a friend's H3 White - voila success! My question is, is there something I need to set up on the H3 Black or do I have a camera with a bad USB socket? I've used the camera several times on the Phantom (without FPV) and it has worked just fine. I've also hooked it up to my TV using the HDMI cord and an image came through just fine.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

DaveT1 said:
I then tried a friend's H3 White - voila success! My question is, is there something I need to set up on the H3 Black or do I have a camera with a bad USB socket?

Page 45 of the GoPro manual mentions turning OSD on or off. perhaps that might be it (tho it defaults to being on)

If it works on a friends Hero3 (even tho it's the white model), then it shows that the cables are ok to use and should work on yours as well.
If things still don't work, perhaps try on another Hero3 Black to determine if your video out might be bad

I too have had this problem only I've bought the ReadymadeRC cable from the link above. I've tried with and without the red wire.

I'm using a HERO3 Black (not the 3+) and am using the 250mW transmitter that came with the FatShark Predator V2 kit. Fortunately since I'm using this kit, it came with one of those small CMOS cameras and that works beautifully so it validates the working status of the transmitter, goggles, antennas, batteries, etc.

Also checking the wiring colors, everything looks right. I've emailed [email protected] but haven't heard back from them. I'm going to try and find another HERO3 to test but looks like this is a fairly common problem. http://youtu.be/cm95GkLd8Ms

Things I've tried:

1) With and without the red wire
2) Turning OSD on and off
3) Recording a test video and playing something out
4) Changing the video resolution and framerate
5) Changing NTSC/PAL
6) Rebooting various pieces of hw

The only solution I see at this point is to get a new cable.

FlyingFanta said:

That's the next thing I would try, or creating one yourself. I have that same video cable from readymaderc, and it's worked like a charm from the very first time I bench tested it w/my GP3B (not +) and Immersion 600mW Tx. I have not disabled the power lead yet though.

OI Photography said:
FlyingFanta said:

That's the next thing I would try, or creating one yourself. I have that same video cable from readymaderc, and it's worked like a charm from the very first time I bench tested it w/my GP3B (not +) and Immersion 600mW Tx. I have not disabled the power lead yet though.

ReadymadeRC has just responded by shipping a new cable to me. Though the cable is fairly straightforward. Other than a small resister on the USB end, the pin mapping is pretty hard to screw up. The transmitter makes it very clear in both documentation and labeling where video, ground, mono/left audio leads go.

I should add that I've just updated the HERO3 with the latest firmware just in case. Though I was only a small revision behind. I was at 03.03.02.39 and am now at 03.03.03.00 or something.

Though I have a nagging suspicion that it's still a GoPro issue. Check out this video of a guy with the same video/transmitter/cable and two GoPros. One works, the other does not.

http://youtu.be/cm95GkLd8Ms

BruceTS said:
have you tried connecting a standard video out cable to the GoPro to see if the problem is in the camera itself?

I would like to do that but unfortunately I don't have one. Other than waiting for the new cable, I'd like to try with a friend's HERO3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20