Problem with 3.06 and compass calibration

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought this might warrant its own thread. First, let me say I have NEVER experienced this problem before 3.06, and I now know its not a 1 time fluke. When I go to do my field compass calibration, I get 1 green light and then 2 flashing red lights. I looked for the pattern on my stickers on the controller but couldn't find out what they mean. Its taking me about 5 tries or more to get it flashing green. And, I'm not sure if its a problem or my imagination, but I was flying pretty far out and went to use my home lock and it appeared to me to go off about 90 degress from where it should have. I switched off home lock and proceeded to use the radar to get the aircraft back home to me. Landed, changed batteries, (tried another calibration, same problem), and this time it flew fine, home lock and fail safe worked as they should. Can someone tell me what 1 green and 2 red flashes are and if anyone else has had this problem when field calibrating the compass. As I said, it all started after 3.06 was installed. Many thanks.

J.

Compass calibration is unrelated to GPS.
The aircraft lights normally indicate GPS information. Green Red Red Red means you have less then 5 satellites. Green Red Red = 5. Green Red = 6. Green only = more than 6, and you can fly in GPS mode. (all assuming Naza Mode)

Compass Calibration is entirely different and the system must be changed to compass calibration mode. Do the two dances successfully, the yellow changes to green and drops out of compass calibration mode, returning to GPS indication. While you were doing the compass dance, GPS sync may have dropped one or more satellites, so you might be back at the green red sequence. But it depends on where your are and how you were holding aircraft during the dance.

GPS and Compass are separate things. See http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

You use it the same way as before. It just saves wear and tear on the switch, and is a nice feature.

Fritz said:
You use it the same way as before. It just saves wear and tear on the switch, and is a nice feature.

Not quite, the second part of "the dance" is different now. Follow the instructions in the app.

I don't follow you. The cal is the same. Manual says" 360 degrees Rotate the aircraft vertically (Nose downward)." App says "Hold Multi rotor vertically and rotate it (its nose is downward) around the vertical axis (about 360 degrees)."

I'm not at home right now but can someone please tell me where the compass calibration button is at?

JWarren said:
I'm not at home right now but can someone please tell me where the compass calibration button is at?

Within settings of the DJI app.

DCGOO said:
Compass calibration is unrelated to GPS.
The aircraft lights normally indicate GPS information. Green Red Red Red means you have less then 5 satellites. Green Red Red = 5. Green Red = 6. Green only = more than 6, and you can fly in GPS mode. (all assuming Naza Mode)

Compass Calibration is entirely different and the system must be changed to compass calibration mode. Do the two dances successfully, the yellow changes to green and drops out of compass calibration mode, returning to GPS indication. While you were doing the compass dance, GPS sync may have dropped one or more satellites, so you might be back at the green red sequence. But it depends on where your are and how you were holding aircraft during the dance.

GPS and Compass are separate things. See http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

Thank you for this information, but I had 9 satallites when I attempted field calibration. Could the one green flash perhaps mean the calibration was successful? I can find no reason for the green, red, red occurring after a field compass calibration. I'm sure it has to do with updating to 3.06, but I sure would like to know what the hell is going on or how to get back to 3.04 if I can't get an explanation.

DCGOO said:
Do the two dances successfully, the yellow changes to green and drops out of compass calibration mode, returning to GPS indication. While you were doing the compass dance, GPS sync may have dropped one or more satellites, so you might be back at the green red sequence.

This is interesting. I've recently been having difficulties with my compass calibration in the field. What you have said makes perfect sense. SO, the question is, how can one be sure if the field calibration was actually successful if the LED lights change patterns suddenly due to a drop in GPS reception and while in the middle of doing the compass calibration?

For the record, my values in the assistant software are within normal parameters, BUT, I'm still having issues with the compass for some reason. I do still need to do some more testing as well, but I'm interested in your further thoughts.

BJames said:
While we're talking compass cal, are the updated values saved in any way through a battery change?

Well you certainly don't need do it again with each change of battery so must be.
If flying in the same general area - and not seeing any problems in flight - you could go for many flights without doing it at all.

JWarren said:
Thank you for this information, but I had 9 satallites when I attempted field calibration. Could the one green flash perhaps mean the calibration was successful? I can find no reason for the green, red, red occurring after a field compass calibration. I'm sure it has to do with updating to 3.06, but I sure would like to know what the hell is going on or how to get back to 3.04 if I can't get an explanation.
Consider a few things:
  • The act of doing the "compass dance" is likely to cause a loss of satellites. If you stand over the top of the Phantom or cover the top with your hand, satellite contact is likely drop substantially. The same thing is likely to happen when you turn it on end. You may have to wait a bit after returning the Phantom to the ground, with the top unobstructed, before satellite contact returns.
  • The compass calibration LED signals don't blink. Solid yellow is the starting point. Doing the horizontal spin correctly will result in solid green. Doing the vertical spin correctly will cause the LED signal to return to the current GPS status, and at that point, the LED signal has nothing to do with compass calibration. If the compass fails to calibrate, then you will have an alternating red-yellow blink.

JWarren said:
Sorry, I thought this might warrant its own thread. First, let me say I have NEVER experienced this problem before 3.06, and I now know its not a 1 time fluke. When I go to do my field compass calibration, I get 1 green light and then 2 flashing red lights. I looked for the pattern on my stickers on the controller but couldn't find out what they mean. Its taking me about 5 tries or more to get it flashing green. And, I'm not sure if its a problem or my imagination, but I was flying pretty far out and went to use my home lock and it appeared to me to go off about 90 degress from where it should have. I switched off home lock and proceeded to use the radar to get the aircraft back home to me. Landed, changed batteries, (tried another calibration, same problem), and this time it flew fine, home lock and fail safe worked as they should. Can someone tell me what 1 green and 2 red flashes are and if anyone else has had this problem when field calibrating the compass. As I said, it all started after 3.06 was installed. Many thanks.

J.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that you recently switched to NAZA mode? Remember that the light sequences for Phantom mode and NAZA mode are quite different. You won't find the light sequences on that little printed card that came with the controller if you have switched to NAZA.

Werz said:
JWarren said:
Consider a few things:
  • The act of doing the "compass dance" is likely to cause a loss of satellites. If you stand over the top of the Phantom or cover the top with your hand, satellite contact is likely drop substantially. The same thing is likely to happen when you turn it on end. You may have to wait a bit after returning the Phantom to the ground, with the top unobstructed, before satellite contact returns.
  • The compass calibration LED signals don't blink. Solid yellow is the starting point. Doing the horizontal spin correctly will result in solid green. Doing the vertical spin correctly will cause the LED signal to return to the current GPS status, and at that point, the LED signal has nothing to do with compass calibration. If the compass fails to calibrate, then you will have an alternating red-yellow blink.

Happydays, yes I did recently switch to NAZA. Werz, if I understand you correctly, after I do the "compass dance", even if I'm getting the green red red blinking, my calibration is still OK because I'm not getting the red yellow? Thank you very much for your help.

I don't fly NAZA but it appears it has a countdown light sequence to receiving 6 or more satellites. green, red, red, red, green, red, red, green, red, green.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik