Problem starting the Phantom since enabling IOC

Reaction score
Hi, my first post (noob). I've been using my FC40 for just over a week now and it has always started fine, however since I enabled IOC in the Naza Assistant software this morning the motors won't start unless I do the calibration routine - even when I changed battery and launched from the same spot I still had to do the calibration routine before the motors would start - is this normal ?

Any advice appreciated, thanks a lot.

When I enabled IOC it was before my very first flight, but I have never had any problem starting the motors. I normally do the compass calibration before the first flight of the day anyway. It doesn't sound normal to me for the motors to refuse to start unless you have calibrated the compass.
Have you eliminated the possiblility of accidently placing it near a strong magnetic field? Examples could be loudspeakers, magnets on smartphone / tablet cases to switch on phone automatically when cover lifter, or a seriously magnetised car (it can happen).

Are both your switches in the up position ?

Vintage Mark said:
When I enabled IOC it was before my very first flight, but I have never had any problem starting the motors. I normally do the compass calibration before the first flight of the day anyway. It doesn't sound normal to me for the motors to refuse to start unless you have calibrated the compass.
Have you eliminated the possiblility of accidently placing it near a strong magnetic field? Examples could be loudspeakers, magnets on smartphone / tablet cases to switch on phone automatically when cover lifter, or a seriously magnetised car (it can happen).

All occasions today it was clear open land. The Phantom had been transported in my car boot, the same as every other trip so no new or different exposure to magnetic field that I could see.

crash1sttime said:
Are both your switches in the up position ?

Yes both switches were up.

I may try putting it back as it was in the Naza software by disabling IOC to see if this resolves it. Thanks for the replies.

Thought I would post a brief update. I decided not to diable IOC and have kept it enabled and have also now added the failsafe option to S1. The need to calibrate the compass before the motors will start still continues to be hit and miss.

Approximately 4 out of 5 first starts from a new location requires the compass calibration in order to start the motors but subsequent starts from the exact same spot when changing the battery it is approximately 2 out of 5 restarts needing calibration again. The fact that it is not 100% for either scenario confounds me as to whether this is a design feature or just an anomaly with my one, but given that the calibration takes seconds and is good practice for reducing the risk of flyaways I'm happy to live with this quirk either way!

Perhaps your compass is out of whack. There is a way to reset it / recalibrate in the NAZA software. I'd suggest at the very least trying an advanced IMU calibration (look on youtube for how) to see if that improves things.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic