Probably not a good ideal to fly when cloudy

Reaction score
Day 2 with my P3 I lost GPS and it took off and flew into a tree. It's cloudy here today that's the only thing I can see that could be wrong. Good news that I didn't break anything, the battery popped out and I have to clean her up but other than that good to go.

It calibrate when it pick up GPS signals before take off right? I was in Beginner mode it had enough signal to take off.

Those pesky clouds I tell ya

Clouds do not affect GPS reception.

Multiple layers of heavy clouds can impact GPS. However, at the point they can make an impact, you should be putting the Phantom away and whipping out the umbrella cuz it's gonna rain.

A few weeks ago, I was flying my P2 and I was practicing the zoom in selfie maneuver. I had the P2 about 10 feet off ground and was flying towards me. I was so focused on keeping a good smile on my face that I didn't even see the tree above me and I flew right into the tree! Come to think of it, there were a couple of clouds in the sky that day...

Multiple layers of heavy clouds can impact GPS. However, at the point they can make an impact, you should be putting the Phantom away and whipping out the umbrella cuz it's gonna rain.
It's very heavy cloud coverage but not raining I had 16 or 17 at take off.

It's very heavy cloud coverage but not raining I had 16 or 17 at take off.
If you had 16 at take off, why would you think cloud cover caused your to lose GPS? It was a clear day then all of a sudden there was heavy cloud cover? Considering you crashed in beginner mode, I'd wager that you crashed because you are a beginner.

Or the gov't was spraying aluminum dust into the clouds. Putin said he can control snowfall in Moscow by dropping dust on approaching storms so they would release their precipitation before they reach Moscow. Maybe the us is secretly experimenting that too?

Like I said, most likely bad compass calibration. Only way your GPS would get disabled...

If you had 16 at take off, why would you think cloud cover caused your to lose GPS? It was a clear day then all of a sudden there was heavy cloud cover? Considering you crashed in beginner mode, I'd wager that you crashed because you are a beginner.
On the controller it gave me a GPS warning I couldn't concentrate on that because i was focused on the P3. It literally took off across the street at that point I dropped the altitude but it crashed into a tree before it landed. I am a beginner but that didn't cause it to take off.

I think that's what my compass error looked like too. Something about GPS, but I also switched focus from the screen and flew her back LOS

Reactions: yeaidid
the compass is very sensitive, sometimes you can do a successful calibration, but that calibration was probably done with magnetic interference, so when you start flying and then move away from that magnetic interference it gets confused and gives you compass /gps error and you lose GPS mode...

I would guess there was some other form of interference. When I fly at my house both my P2 and P3 act as if they're in ATTI mode. Shows flying in GPS mode with 16 sats but neither will stay still, they wander. And for some reason they always wander toward the trees!!
I just don't fly there anymore.

I would guess there was some other form of interference. When I fly at my house both my P2 and P3 act as if they're in ATTI mode. Shows flying in GPS mode with 16 sats but neither will stay still, they wander. And for some reason they always wander toward the trees!!
I just don't fly there anymore.
Thanks if it happens again I will go to the park.

Best thing to do is make sure your phone, keys and any metal on you is away from the p3 when you do calibration. Do calibration successfully and fly out to like 100m-200m, if no problems then the calibration was really successful. If you fly within like 10-25miles from that area, you dont really need to do calibration again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20