Pro vs Adv 2.7k video

Reaction score
I am sorry if this is answered somewhere but I can't find anything specifically about this. I understand that the Pro has an extra onboard chip to handle the 4k but is the camera and lenses and sensor identical otherwise. I was impressed by my PSA video at first but now am just disappointed in general. I have messed around with settings and post and even the output files. It just seems most everyone else's 2.7k and 1080p video looks better than mine though most people have the P3P and thus my question. I live in Vermont and it is winter so colors are pretty much nonexistent, everything is brown. This video is taken at 2.7k 30fps. Saturation, contrast, and sharpness all set to -2. Exposure at 5000k. High bitrate file exported to HD1080p 30fps in Adobe Premiere. Every other import setting I've tried looks worse.

Thanks for your time.

Mind you this one is a little dark because I was exposing for the sky.

Last edited:
Did you do any color grading or other adjustments in post? Looks like this what came straight off the camera. Most of the best footage, especially in low light, was improved in post.

It is difficult to tell from your video.
A) you compressed the original when you added music
B) Google compressed it again.

I have a P3A and the videos are great. There is a big difference in how they are recompressed.
The blurriness of those trees is exactly what I get with poor compressoin.

I downloaded your highest resolution video from youtube.
It is showing a video bitrate of 2592 Kbps (low)

The p3p and p3a has the exact same camera lens / sensor / etc. The difference is that in the gimbal board the p3p has a dedicated DSP. The advanced has a shared one.
feab5ffa896b2b7417ac034aea6469f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm noticing my videos from my P3A look worse compared to the P3P. 1080p60fps for both. Most of my latest videos are 20+ min flights, sped up to run about 3-3:30 along with a song. I even tried exporting with a higher bitrate using different software because FCP likes to dumb it down the Apple way and chose the bitrate for you. It looks fine in the master files but once YouTube gets it, it goes to ****. I think YouTube has some sort of analysis that determines when it can compress the crap out if files. In my case, I'm flying over water mostly so I think it sees the solid color/image of the water and compresses so bad you see pixilation instead of the fine detail of the waves.

I frankly can't tell the difference between my P3P and my P3A at 2.7k. I don't have a device that can display 4K though so it is probably just be me. Living in Arizona I have an abundance of bright even harsh light year round. I suspect your lower quality is in part due to the low light. It has to take longer exposures to get the same saturation, which might affect frame rate and / or compression. Try lowering the frame rate and see if that makes a difference.

I am sorry if this is answered somewhere but I can't find anything specifically about this. I understand that the Pro has an extra onboard chip to handle the 4k but is the camera and lenses and sensor identical otherwise. I was impressed by my PSA video at first but now am just disappointed in general. I have messed around with settings and post and even the output files. It just seems most everyone else's 2.7k and 1080p video looks better than mine though most people have the P3P and thus my question. I live in Vermont and it is winter so colors are pretty much nonexistent, everything is brown. This video is taken at 2.7k 30fps. Saturation, contrast, and sharpness all set to -2. Exposure at 5000k. High bitrate file exported to HD1080p 30fps in Adobe Premiere. Every other import setting I've tried looks worse.

Thanks for your time.

Mind you this one is a little dark because I was exposing for the sky.
That vid looks "soft" to me....maybe condensation and moisture on the lens....

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 20.53.02.png
Unfortunately videos on youtube loose clarity.

When I compare my uploads to the original file, its chalk and cheese.

see this screen capture, youtube on left and video on right through media player.

uploaded at 1080p

Last edited:
View attachment 45907 Unfortunately videos on youtube loose clarity.

When I compare my uploads to the original file, its chalk and cheese.

see this screen capture, youtube on left and video on right through media player.
Yes, I know that. But even just comparing some P3P footage vs P3A footage in similar conditions the P3A looks worse...I don't know...My P3A isn't for shooting quality so I'm not gonna waste effort trying to figure it out. I know it shoots fine it's just the YouTube compression for some reason with P3A videos.

I think I figured it out. I looked on a map and you live in the north east. Very brown and very cold there. Sorry..

So I just want to thank everyone for their input. I am uploading some more video samples to YouTube as we speak. They are all before any post. I understand what YouTube does to videos upon upload but to that I have two things to say about that. My videos, fresh off the bird, look no better than they do after upload to YouTube and also I'm just comparing to what I see everyday on YouTube. Most videos look totally fine to me, mine don't. Also I have streamed them to my Chromecast and also plugged my laptop into my TV and they still looks bad to me.

As I said before, I have set all of the camera settings to -2. I agree with MikeB2308, my videos just look soft. In post, if I touch sharpness at all, I get some moire coming into play, which I know this camera is prone to. My point is, I can't adjust sharpness on the camera itself or in post anymore than it already has been. .

I am pretty new to the entire still and video game but I have also jumped in with both feet studying as much as I can in a short time. I have watched countless hours of tutorials, both on YouTube and Udemy, trying to learn. Criticism at any point is welcome. I just want to make sure I am playing with a full deck here. I'll link the other videos soon.

I should add, all of these videos are samples of long Litchi missions. The exposure at take off isn't what it could be if I were only shooting a few subject from a couple angles. I was attempting to get as much as possible in the acceptable range for exposure.

Last edited:
Did you do any color grading or other adjustments in post? Looks like this what came straight off the camera. Most of the best footage, especially in low light, was improved in post.
I am posting more videos soon, that certainly wasn't the best example. Yes, though, that was adjusted in post, very quickly. I say very quickly because all I have been concerned with in the past few days is getting the clarity usable. I had suspected moisture of some sort, but this has span weeks now. I'm constantly cleaning the lens and filters. I am posting a clip from that video before post shortly.

I frankly can't tell the difference between my P3P and my P3A at 2.7k. I don't have a device that can display 4K though so it is probably just be me. Living in Arizona I have an abundance of bright even harsh light year round. I suspect your lower quality is in part due to the low light. It has to take longer exposures to get the same saturation, which might affect frame rate and / or compression. Try lowering the frame rate and see if that makes a difference.
I had been shooting 24fps and I just changed to 30fps hoping that would help.

Last edited:
The p3p and p3a has the exact same camera lens / sensor / etc. The difference is that in the gimbal board the p3p has a dedicated DSP. The advanced has a shared one.
feab5ffa896b2b7417ac034aea6469f3.jpg

Actually the sensors are different. 4k uses the sony EXMOR, advanced is panasonic. I suspect the lens optics and Ir filter are shared.

Theoretically they both use the same lens and the same sensor, the 4k camera just has more hardware to be able to process 4k footage.
On both 1080p and 2k the footage should be very identical. Probably there's some differences bitrate wise but the footage should be identical if recorded on the same settings.

Actually the sensors are different. 4k uses the sony EXMOR, advanced is panasonic. I suspect the lens optics and Ir filter are shared.

No the pro and advanced both the Sony sensor .. The standard uses the Panasonic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4