Pro or Advanced Camer

I was thinking of getting the P3A since I really only wanted to shoot 1080 and liked the 1080-60 that my old GoPro used to shoot on my P2. But I went ahead and bought the P3P for the hell of it.

For the first couple of months (other than a sample to see it worked) I just shot 1080-60 but then I decided to try 4k and really loved it. My computer can edit it fine (not fast, renders at 0.1x) and the result is superior. Then we got a couple of 4k TVs at work, 65" and 70" and WOW - amazing. I am so glad I went with the P3P - worth the extra for me. 2.7k works nicely on P3P now and looks good on my 2.5k monitor. But nowadays I shoot 4k for everything except long distance flights. Even my phone shoots gorgeous 4k - things have progressed a lot. I probably have to spring for a real 4k monitor for working on these files eventually but haven't done it yet.
Exactly: P3P is worth only if you really need 4k.
Otherwise:
- picture resolution is the same;
- P3A has 2.7k so you'll still have the chance to crop and zoom (not as much as P3P but still...);
- it's difficult to perceive the limited bandwidth of the P3A under sunlight;
- reamember 4k videos needs huge amount of memory to store them (I ended keeping the lo res videos saved by th Pilot/Go app)
- editing 4k videos need time and powerful pc

Reamember that once you'll buy your P3 (whatever the flavour) you'll soon spend extra money to buy (at least) one extra battery and a backpack (or hard case): don't forget to involve your wallet in the choice ;).

Personally, I went for the P3A and I am VERY happy with it.

Exactly: P3P is worth only if you really need 4k.
Otherwise:
- picture resolution is the same;
- P3A has 2.7k so you'll still have the chance to crop and zoom (not as much as P3P but still...);
- it's difficult to perceive the limited bandwidth of the P3A under sunlight;
- reamember 4k videos needs huge amount of memory to store them (I ended keeping the lo res videos saved by th Pilot/Go app)
- editing 4k videos need time and powerful pc

Reamember that once you'll buy your P3 (whatever the flavour) you'll soon spend extra money to buy (at least) one extra battery and a backpack (or hard case): don't forget to involve your wallet in the choice ;).

Personally, I went for the P3A and I am VERY happy with it.
I have a p3a and I'm exactly with what Andrea said.

I have heard it said that the Pro and the Advanced both use exactly the same camera but the firmware locks out 4K in the ADV.
I've also read that the Pro has an additional DSP that allows it to handle video encoding at a higher bit-rate than the Adv. If the DSP is a separate chip, it should be easy to see on the camera circuit board. It is possible that the DSP is present as an extra core or co-processor on the main camera MCU, and in that case it might not be easy to verify.
Does anyone know for sure?

I've also read that the Pro has an additional DSP that allows it to handle video encoding at a higher bit-rate than the Adv. If the DSP is a separate chip, it should be easy to see on the camera circuit board. It is possible that the DSP is present as an extra core or co-processor on the main camera MCU, and in that case it might not be easy to verify.
Does anyone know for sure?
A quick search confirms that there is additional video processing hardware in the Pro.
Here's a photo that shows the Pro board. The chips within the outlined area are not present in the Adv version.

If only needing 1080p I fully think you'd be much better off with the Advanced. Also keep in mind the Advanced can now shoot at 2.7K so you still have a higher option.

The PRO does not currently have the 2.7K option (For some reason).

The still images are the same between those two models.

You can play 4K on a non4K TV you just won't experience the true benefit of 4K. Although 4K does allow some more options (great screen capture from video) but I still find 1080p to be my main option 95% of the time.

I wish I had gone Advanced and just the extra $$ to get batteries.
A non4k tv will NOT play 4K video... I have tried on several brands. Unless you have viewed the P3P's 4K video on a 4K tv, you don't know what you are missing...4x the resolution of 1080.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers