Pro or Advanced Camer

Reaction score
Is the pro model really necessary and worth the extra expense if you are only shooting 1080p, are the still shots better quality on the pro and is the video of the same quality on each model at 2.7 K? 4K playback is limited on most TV's and computer monitors. Don't you need a special TV to play 4K video?

If only needing 1080p I fully think you'd be much better off with the Advanced. Also keep in mind the Advanced can now shoot at 2.7K so you still have a higher option.

The PRO does not currently have the 2.7K option (For some reason).

The still images are the same between those two models.

You can play 4K on a non4K TV you just won't experience the true benefit of 4K. Although 4K does allow some more options (great screen capture from video) but I still find 1080p to be my main option 95% of the time.

I wish I had gone Advanced and just the extra $$ to get batteries.

If only needing 1080p I fully think you'd be much better off with the Advanced. Also keep in mind the Advanced can now shoot at 2.7K so you still have a higher option.

The PRO does not currently have the 2.7K option (For some reason).

The still images are the same between those two models.

You can play 4K on a non4K TV you just won't experience the true benefit of 4K. Although 4K does allow some more options (great screen capture from video) but I still find 1080p to be my main option 95% of the time.

I wish I had gone Advanced and just the extra $$ to get batteries.
It does if you use the Android app - otherwise more or less agree.

Reactions: BigAl07
It does if you use the Android app - otherwise more or less agree.
That's news to me. Well dang it. Dang dang dang!

Thanks for the info. Always learning here :)

There was a thread that stated the Pro actually has another advantage that the Advanced does not. It transmits lightbridge in true 720k where the Advanced apparently does not. I don't recall the whole conversation but it was apparent that the Advanced had a difference that is not documented.

Reactions: Dounin Front
There was a thread that stated the Pro actually has another advantage that the Advanced does not. It transmits lightbridge in true 720k where the Advanced apparently does not. I don't recall the whole conversation but it was apparent that the Advanced had a difference that is not documented.
Not true. Both Pro and Adv transmit the live feed in 720p, just that Adv's video bitrate is limited to 2Mbps, so the images are more compressed and pixelated.

Same outcome. The P3A through lightbridge will not look as good through goggles (so users say).
Yep. People who fly with FPV goggles or HDMI output to large TV screen, will notice the pixilation and blockiness more. I only fly with my Samsung S2 tablet so it doesn't bother me.

If you want to crop a video for zoom effect then 4 k is better, other than that you may never know the difference

Crop Zoom from 4K video to 1080p video is very time consuming unless you have software that detects the subject and frames it for you.

And also, gold stickers and 4K printed on the camera - **ck yeah! It gets the girls moist. My mate and I was crossing 2.4Ghz Lightbridge streams in the park. He was flying a Pro and I was on the Advanced. Guess who got laid that night...

Crop Zoom from 4K video to 1080p video is very time consuming unless you have software that detects the subject and frames it for you.
Hehe I wonder who is silly enough to spend their time cropping an entire 20-minute 4K video? I think cropping 4K to 1080p is only for selective few short 10-15 second video clips.

Guess who got laid that night...
The guy on a Harley Davidson?

Remember you can either shoot video OR stills at a given time and you have to wait for the switch to become available again in the app to change. I would prefer to be frame-grabbing stills from a 4K video than from 1080P myself.

2.7k from the P3A video makes a pretty awesome frame grab as well for those of us without 4K equipment.
I have not yet figured out where to set to 2.7k. I'll need to spend some time and look. I'm currently set to 1080p I think.

I was thinking of getting the P3A since I really only wanted to shoot 1080 and liked the 1080-60 that my old GoPro used to shoot on my P2. But I went ahead and bought the P3P for the hell of it.

For the first couple of months (other than a sample to see it worked) I just shot 1080-60 but then I decided to try 4k and really loved it. My computer can edit it fine (not fast, renders at 0.1x) and the result is superior. Then we got a couple of 4k TVs at work, 65" and 70" and WOW - amazing. I am so glad I went with the P3P - worth the extra for me. 2.7k works nicely on P3P now and looks good on my 2.5k monitor. But nowadays I shoot 4k for everything except long distance flights. Even my phone shoots gorgeous 4k - things have progressed a lot. I probably have to spring for a real 4k monitor for working on these files eventually but haven't done it yet.

I have heard it said that the Pro and the Advanced both use exactly the same camera but the firmware locks out 4K in the ADV. If this is true it is another example of manufacturers "holding back" higher specs deliberately so you have to pay more for the "Better" camera. The cameras sure do look the same and the stills are the same Mp, the sensor is the same and the same size. Canon did this holding back for years with the crumby autofocus in the 5D and 6D and kept their very best autofocus for the 1D series until the 5D MK 3.

I have not yet figured out where to set to 2.7k. I'll need to spend some time and look. I'm currently set to 1080p I think.
With the P3 connected, select MENU in camera view, then select the video camera tab and you will see the options. Again the P3 must also be connected.

Capture.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik