Private airports

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an airplane pilot, I would highly recommend you steer clear of the airport. Drones this small would be nearly impossible to see until it's too late.
I agree. But I would add that it is obviously not the responsibility of an aircraft pilot to see and avoid a drone. Rather it is the drone pilots responsibility to NOT BE THERE when it comes to any type of airport.

Reactions: Skidz
I agree. But I would add that it is obviously not the responsibility of an aircraft pilot to see and avoid a drone. Rather it is the drone pilots responsibility to NOT BE THERE when it comes to any type of airport.
I think that was pretty much his point. Who has the right of way..the craft with a human being sitting in it! Lol

Download the app and look at the map. It will show a radius of where you can fly. I'm also close to an airport. I get a warning nearing no fly zone every time I take off from home. It doesn't effect anything. Just be cautious of what's around you.

Download the app and look at the map. It will show a radius of where you can fly. I'm also close to an airport. I get a warning nearing no fly zone every time I take off from home. It doesn't effect anything. Just be cautious of what's around you.

As mentioned before, the app has only a small fraction of airports in it. Using the app isn't enough to show you where you should or shouldn't fly.

So what happens if you start flying and then end up going into restricted airspace?

Sorry for the slightly off topic post

So what happens if you start flying and then end up going into restricted airspace?

Sorry for the slightly off topic post

Then you would be in "Restricted" air space....Hello....RESTRICTED.... :)

I fly light sport airplanes. One airport I fly in and out of has a area (taxiway) set up for modelers to fly rc planes. There is a agreement in place that if you land and they are flying to just back taxi on the runway. SOOOO to say a airport is a airport may not be so true.
The fact that there is an agreement with the airport manager and the RC club only shows that the airport manager has been notified. This fulfills the FAA guideline.

To clarify some of the issues regarding airports and the National Airspace System, the FAA has classified the airspace into the following areas:

Class A: Is the Airspace including and above 18,000ft MSL. The most restricted airspace. Requires IFR rating and a clearance from Air Traffic Control (ATC) There are no airports in this class.

Class B: The biggest airports in the world. LAX, MIA, JFK, CYYZ, etc. Pilots must have a clearance, two way communication and there are aircraft equipment requirements.

Class C: Not as big as Class A, but airports with still a lot of traffic such as KSMF Sacramento, KCOS Colorado Springs, KALB Albany. Pilots must establish two way communication before entering and there are aircraft equipment requirements.

Class D: Smaller than Class C but still have an operational control tower. Pilots must establish and maintain two way communication.

Class B, C and D airports, have Control Towers and those are the people responsible for the airport. If you are within five miles of these airports you would need to call and get authorization before you could fly your Phantom anywhere near it. My guess is that considering the current status and opinion about drones around these airports, you would not get permission to fly a quadcopter within the 5 miles. These are the airport that show up as red circles in the DJI Maps.

Class E airspace is that which lies around Class A, B, C and D.
No operating towers. No two way communication required.

Class G is the left over airspace that is not within any of the prior mentioned classes. Definitely uncontrolled and not operating towers.

This website explains better the NAS: http://www.vatusa.net/training/tiki-index.php?page=the_national_airspace_system

Most small airports are either city, county or state public airports or privately owned airports and airstrips. They are usually located in Class E or G for the most part but not necessarily.
These small airport do not show up in the DJI maps but according to the FAA they are still airports and you are still required to obtain permission. You would need to contact the owner of the airport and get permission to fly at or within the 5 miles of the center. There is a good chance that you could get permission to fly your Quadcopter in this class airports if you can convince them that you would not be a risk to the general aviation airplanes that use it.

A good website that has name and phone numbers for the owners of the airports is www.airnav.com

I agree.
Area 51 isn't even on the list.

But it is on the map you know.

A-51.jpg

Then you would be in "Restricted" air space....Hello....RESTRICTED.... :)

So you still have full control over the drone? I ask as i live right on the edge of a no fly zone. I'm not really planning on flying around here but have noticed half of the park is covered and the other part isn't.

I fly glider at a private airport here in Georgia, definitely would not want to see a drone when I come in as I only get one shot at landing. I think your best option is to get a handheld radio to communicate with the airport, which will definitely have their own radio freq to manage traffic. Most of time these airports are very quiet, you just have to let them know where you're flying and when. If any traffic coming you'll be the first to know as well.
The aviation handheld radios can be bought on amazon or sporty's, i got a Yaesu for $200.

Don't have total confidence in the hand held radios, especially at a smaller airport there are people that just taxi out and take off, or just get in the pattern and land, and never announce themself.

I saw a situation two weeks ago where we were very close to a private airstrip, had someone with a handheld to notify if anything was close, and a guy came flying about 100' AGL above the runway,,, he lived there and just figured he didn't need to announce himself.. we couldn't hear him until he was overhead

Excellent point Andy. Your experience shows there are idiots at every level, including licensed pilots. The more reason for us UAV flyers to be cautious and follow the rules, er "guidelines".

ps-I hold a commercial pilot's license and assure you there are plenty of fools flying up there.:eek:

Excellent point Andy. Your experience shows there are idiots at every level, including licensed pilots. The more reason for us UAV flyers to be cautious and follow the rules, er "guidelines".

ps-I hold a commercial pilot's license and assure you there are plenty of fools flying up there.:eek:

I'm a private pilot,,,I know about flying fools,,not as many as there are flying drones, but still there are some

There is no requirement for non-controlled airport to use a radio. It is highly recommended though. Many airports around the country have plenty of aircrafts (Piper J-3, Taylocraft, etc.) without electrical systems and therefore no radios. They are called "NORDO" their pilots often do not even carry a handheld.
So I would not assume that a radio will provide you with any kind of safety.

These small airport do not show up in the DJI maps but according to the FAA they are still airports and you are still required to obtain permission. You would need to contact the owner of the airport and get permission to fly at or within the 5 miles of the center. There is a good chance that you could get permission to fly your Quadcopter in this class airports if you can convince them that you would not be a risk to the general aviation airplanes that use it.
Not correct. You contact ATC or the airport manager to advise them of your intended flight. There is no requirement to ask permission.

I fly glider at a private airport here in Georgia, definitely would not want to see a drone when I come in as I only get one shot at landing. I think your best option is to get a handheld radio to communicate with the airport, which will definitely have their own radio freq to manage traffic. Most of time these airports are very quiet, you just have to let them know where you're flying and when. If any traffic coming you'll be the first to know as well.
The aviation handheld radios can be bought on amazon or sporty's, i got a Yaesu for $200.
Illegal to transmit without a station license from the FCC.

Your right there, makes me wonder about the big boys that are comming down and are at 1500 ft flying at 300-500 MPH and look out the cockpit and see a drone 100 under their wing. Fantastic eyeballs I would say. Especially at that speed. Some may be true sightings But... Makes you wonder!

Commercial or private aircraft don't usually fly at those speeds under 10,000', even less at 1,500'. Under 10,000 you are supposed to maintain 250 knots or below. I agree, it's very very difficult to spot a quadcopter like that phantom from a fast moving aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4