Private airports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and to UAS. I live close to a private airport (very small) and was wondering if the 5 mile rule pertained to all airports or just class A and B airports. Thanks for any feed back.

Err on the side of safety.

bbfpv has posted good info.

Keep in mind it is not DJI's responsibility to determine if you are permitted to fly at any given location.

The FAA information/guidelines makes no distinction on airport type.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

As those planes take off or are on approach they get low to the ground and under the 400 ft level. Droping a drone through a windshield could bankrupt you not to mention what it could do to the pilot. There are also ultra lights and other small aircraft that are low flyers. Best to safely keep the distance. Ultralight fly from 500 ft to max of 1200 ft. So if we are at. Max of 400 ft that a hundred ft buffer between us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sammynels
Hi all,

New to the forum and to UAS. I live close to a private airport (very small) and was wondering if the 5 mile rule pertained to all airports or just class A and B airports. Thanks for any feed back.[/QUOT

where I work at is very close to a major Air Port and If I go to my DJI Pilot app and go on google map it has a red 5 mile circle showing you the 5 mile range. You should be able to do the same in your area.

It's also a question of airspace type, not just airport type. If it's a small private airport (like at a ranch or private company) which is not part of the NAS (National Airspace System), then while it may be depicted on charts (as a private field or strip) it may be completely in uncontrolled airspace. If that is the case there may be no protection or "no-fly zones" depicted on any web sites or built in to the Phantoms firmware/app. That doesn't mean it's any safer to fly your quad-copter near the airport. There may still be aircraft coming and going and flying there still poses the same exact safety issues. But...that leaves you with the option of talking with the owner and possibly getting permission to fly when it is known there is no air traffic. Unlike a public airport, you can't just land or use the private airport without prior permission normally unless you have an emergency and need to put your plane on the ground... but that could be anywhere.
As III%Steve stated, there are also many public airports not listed as no fly zones on the web or incorporated into the no-fly zones built into the software so knowing the area where you plan on flying is the key.

Your right there, makes me wonder about the big boys that are comming down and are at 1500 ft flying at 300-500 MPH and look out the cockpit and see a drone 100 under their wing. Fantastic eyeballs I would say. Especially at that speed. Some may be true sightings But... Makes you wonder!

Hi all,

New to the forum and to UAS. I live close to a private airport (very small) and was wondering if the 5 mile rule pertained to all airports or just class A and B airports. Thanks for any feed back.
Well of course the 5 Mile Rule does not apply. It's a small airport with small planes and private nothing at all you should be concerned with.

Sorry I am going to have to say this..."How far up do you have your head" Man, we are going to see you in the news next. No common sense.

Hi all,

The 5 mile rule doesn't apply to the Phantom 3 series only the Phantom 1 and 2. They changed how no fly zones work on the P3. It now only restricts your altitude starting from the edges of the airport limiting you from about 65 feet to 400 feet only up to a mile. From there you're unlimited unless you count the 1640 foot built in alt limit no matter where you fly.

If you know you will be flying in the vicinity of a small, private airstrip, I highly recommend getting an inexpensive air radio, even one that can just "listen". All pilots will broadcast their intent to take off or land, so you can land when you hear they will be nearby.

Also, contact the control for that airport. It may be calling your local air traffic control center, or calling Jim because it is Jim's strip. Keeping pilots informed of your presence (especially if for commercial reasons), is very important to safety.

To answer the OP's question. An airport is an airport and the FAA guideline is to notify the ATC facility or airport manager of your intended flight.

The size or ownership of the facility doesn't matter. It can have a takeoff or landing every three minutes or once a week. It can be privately owned or public. It doesn't matter. An airport is an airport.

If the airport is really small and infrequently used then you can probably get a permanent COA (Certificate of Authorization) in the form of a letter from the airport manager to operate your drone in a specific area.

Reactions: Codabass
Well of course the 5 Mile Rule does not apply. It's a small airport with small planes and private nothing at all you should be concerned with.

Sorry I am going to have to say this..."How far up do you have your head" Man, we are going to see you in the news next. No common sense.

A guy comes to the forums to seek out information about a small airport and instead of helping him, you choose to insult him. Yeah, lets drive off people willing to get good information and fly within recommended guidelines.

When you just pointed your finger at him and said, "No common sense", you had three more pointing back at YOU. SMDH.

I fly light sport airplanes. One airport I fly in and out of has a area (taxiway) set up for modelers to fly rc planes. There is a agreement in place that if you land and they are flying to just back taxi on the runway. SOOOO to say a airport is a airport may not be so true.

Regulations, rules, mathematics etc etc leave all of that out of it and use common sense. The fact that you are questioning it says it's not a good fly spot. Hop in the car (or bike) and explore a new area with no air traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj