Preview: RC-Drones.com DJI Phantom Gimbals

Reaction score
I've been reading about two gimbals which should be coming to the market soon. One is from Tony of RC-Drones.com, the other is from Bo Lorentzen.

In this post I'll explain the RC-Drones.com gimbal. Tony will offer two versions, one is a one-axis version (which means the gimbal will only tilt the camera forward and backward as it needs to) and also a two axis. A two axis gimbal will tilt forward and backward (also known as pitch) but will also roll "side to side". Currently, the pricing is $175 for the one axis and $250 for the two axis and this does include servos. Both gimbals are made from lightweight Carbon Fiber.

15hjxc3.jpg

aouhyw.jpg

Here is a video showing the gimbal in action, but it has been stabilized with software:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cPjwbSpdh0[/youtube]

And without software stabilization:
https://vimeo.com/57679483

I'm pretty sure the gimbal will function from the Naza gimbal outputs without any additional TX channels. I know on Tony's (RC-Drones) there is an option to switch out the tx/rx to add channels so that you can control the camera to make it move straight down, etc....

The gimbal looks nice. What type of servos are included? Also, would it be possible to flip the camera tray and tilt servo in order to get the GoPro lens closer to the roll axis?

Install tutorial video for the PhantoMount Carbon Fiber 2-Axis Gimbal for the Phantom that they are selling here for $250.

To answer the above questions, it uses Hitec HS-5245MG Digital Servos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD9r1I-zaBo[/youtube]

Got mine today, installing it now. Be sure to read the caption to his video on youtube. Includes some important info left out of the video itself.

globalcop said:
Got mine today, installing it now. Be sure to read the caption to his video on youtube. Includes some important info left out of the video itself.

How's it working?

MX45OR said:
Baritony said:
What stabilization software did you use?
The Naza software, its plug and play (with some minor tweaking on your comp.)

So with the gimbal, the camera is always facing forward and level.

what if you wanted to tilt it downward in flight? . guess it would require a new Tx ?.
and is that still adjusted simply using the Naza software?

Gizmo3000 said:
So with the gimbal, the camera is always facing forward and level.
what if you wanted to tilt it downward in flight? . guess it would require a new Tx ?.
and is that still adjusted simply using the Naza software?
I was under the impression that it maintains the position the gimbal was set at.

So if you mount your camera and adjust the gimbal platform to point down at 30 degrees (relative to the Phantom) it maintains that during flight.

But I'm just guessing based on the video and pictures of the mount.

I would like to take photos with the camera facing directly downwards, do you reckon I could set the gimbal to that position and the imu would maintain it in the horizontal plane?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.