Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Re: STICKY: Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Checklist saved my Vision again... Found a "micro tear" in one of the props. Couldn't see it until flexing the blade a bit, 'twas torn half-way thru. My guess is this was from an old meeting with one of those ambulatory trees, a knick that over time turned into an invisible crack. Maybe flexing those blades during preflight/post flight ain't a bad idea.

iDrone :?

iDrone said:
Checklist saved my Vision again... Found a "micro tear" in one of the props. Couldn't see it until flexing the blade a bit, 'twas torn half-way thru. My guess is this was from an old meeting with one of those ambulatory trees, a knick that over time turned into an invisible crack. Maybe flexing those blades during preflight/post flight ain't a bad idea.

iDrone :?

Just added that to my checklist. Excellent point.

Thanks...
-slinger

Definitely agree with performing periodic checks and PM. Also, the checklist idea could be extended to pre-flight with GPS warmup, compass calibration, witnessing the green confirmation flashes, etc. Maybe not as a formal check the box, sign, and date, but as a reference card on the Tx. With some flying away and crashing into things it may help with liability if you show you did the best you could.

One other periodic maintenance item would be to connect up the Phantom periodically after flights or charges and see how balanced the cells are. Don't know which is more revealing - after a charge or discharge - and you would want to be consistent to get the earliest warning, but seen too many reports of flights cut short by cells going weak in flight and suddenly going into low battery alarm.

Re: Preventative Maintenance checklists

Shrimpfarmer said:
Also what size is it so I can get a replacement?

The screws retaining the tips of the Phantoms arms are 2mm x .4 mm x 8 mm standard thread.

I noticed that all of the bolts and screws were secured by a tiny dab of locktite. What do others do when replacing them, apply more lock tight or just check tightness before each flight?

Technically, once a locktited screw has been removed or requires re-torquing the old locktite should be removed from the threads and replaced with a new touch of locktite, personally I have found with shell screws I can get away without not bothering to do so but with motor screws I clean and re-locktite them each and every time they are disturbed.

On stock Phantom repaints I replace the tip screws with stainless steel screws as they are considerably less prone to stripping the heads out and on the Black Widows I use black cap screws which blend in rather nicely and being cap screws are not going to strip out ever.

shellscrews.jpg

Wayne

The tiny, black Phillips head screw in the side of the camera behind the white rubber plug
was loose again after a a couple of flying sessions. Pays to check it regularly.

When I first saw it I was at a loss how to tighten it, since at the time I didn't have
a micro screwdriver set. Luckily it turned out that a Leatherman Wave multi-tool
has a micro screwdriver built in - with Phillips and regular tips.

Pull_Up said:
Evening all,

I've been toying with putting together a schedule of preventative maintenance measures to hopefully head-off any physical/mechanical issues at the pass and keep our tallies of landings equalling the take-offs. Comments, criticisms, additions and subtractions welcome.

BEFORE & AFTER EVERY FLIGHT
* Check condition of props (run finger along leading and trailing edges, flex both blades to check for hairline cracks);
* Check motor shafts have no free play (missing E clip? Bad bearings?);
* Check motors move freely when spun by hand;
* Check condition of battery spade connectors and data pins (level, free movement, clean);
* Check camera mounts are secure (and any other attachments, e.g. Flytrex core);
* When powered up and idling confirm no unusual noise or vibration from motors.

EVERY WEEK or EVERY 10 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Visual inspection of shell and other plastic components for cracking/damage (landing skids, camera mounting plates, etc.);
* Check tightness of motor retaining screws and shell retaining screws (both 2.0mm hex);
* Clean data spring pins and battery contact pads with alcohol and swab or proprietary electrical contact cleaner and cycle spring pins several times to check for spring weakness and full unimpeded travel;
* Plug in to Vision Assistant and check tx & IMU calibration state and all battery cells have good balance (repeat for all batteries);
* Check batteries for number of cycles and discharge per DJI recommendations if required.

EVERY MONTH or EVERY 40 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Remove upper shell and check state of all wiring - plugs fully seated, condition of all solder joints, condition of visible circuit boards and wiring runs, internals generally clean and no debris/loose items.
* Remove motors and check security of E clips, condition of bearings and general visual inspection.
* Remove rubber cover from Vision camera servol mounting point and check tightness of the small cross-head screw.

All thoughts welcome...

Hi, just to consider this, it is necessary to apply some drops of oil into the motor bearing? I said that because it´s become a part of the schedule maintenance. is it?

thanks.

I'm no engineer, so don't know if these bearings require lubrication or not. There's nothing from DJI that suggests they do or they don't. To be honest, given the price of a replacement set of bearings I would be tempted to just keep checking and then replace them at the first sight (or sound) of any concern - and possibly replace them with after-market ceramic bearings or something of a similar quality.

Any engineers want to chip in about lubricating these bearings, and even if anyone knows what type the stock bearings are?

Shrimpfarmer said:
I tried to have a look under the hood of my P2V today but I failed at the very last screw. I am referring to the very small screws at the tip of the arms. Three came out very well but the 4th failed to budge and I have now managed to damage the head :oops: I am using a good quality screwdriver but my attempt failed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove this screw now that I have damaged the head? Also what size is it so I can get a replacement?

I noticed that all of the bolts and screws were secured by a tiny dab of locktite. What do others do when replacing them, apply more lock tight or just check tightness before each flight?

Anyway, I put my embarrassment out there for the learning of others ........ :oops:

It's exactly this that makes me scared to ever open mine. I stripped out a screw putting the prop guards on. And I did it with a pretty good metric Allen set. I don't really want to try to open it up any more than I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to share my experience about how the preventive maintenance become an important part for this type of aircraft.

Yesterday at night, I was running my very first time checklist procedures in my P2V, in order to verify that everything is tight and secure...and guess what... one of the motor set screw was not tight by the manufacturer, as a result of this the shaft and it´s bell-housing shows a end-play that it´s not supposed to be.

To correct the situation, the motor bell-housing was removed from the motor in order to check the motor axle for damage in the recessed part (side to put the setscrew), the inspection was successful and the axle and bell-housing was placed back in the correct height, now the aircraft is ready again and I have more confident with it.

I have taken 2 pictures about it, but I can´t up load them.

Thanks for share your preventative maintenance checklist

hello!

newb here been lurking for awhile ive a pv2 as my first drone

great thread learning a lot

how about the motors ? any visual signs on the coils to check?
ive visually checked tonight and i noticed loose coils, they look oddly wound from the rest ,will these matter on the motors performance?

btw do we need clean motors? (electronic contact cleaner)

I like the checklist concept, for newer phantom owners (like myself) this can be very helpful. Thanks. :D

Thank you . I'm new to drone flying and bought a phantom vision. Superb to fly and I love it. After watching some you tube videos I gave the drone a once over . Being honest I checked props etc but that was about it. Gave everything a good check inside and out found a loose wire to one or the motors. No doubt it would have crashed on next flight if this had come away. Thanks for saving me £800+

You're welcome. As I think I said to someone way back who was a bit concerned I was taking this too seriously ("it's not a 747”) it's not about playing airline pilot, it's about some simple insurance because not all of us can afford to just go out and get another one if something fails that we could have prevented.

Nice one Cookie!

Pull_Up said:
All thoughts welcome...

Pull_Up, As a newbie with the DJI birds, I was searching for information and ideas. It seems that whenever I am searching for some knowledge and/or wisdom, your posts and YouTube videos pop up. Frankly, I find your videos entertaining, and very informative. Please accept my gratitude for your informational videos and your contributions here.

P.S.

I have tried the wine you mentioned in one of your videos. Very nice... That you for that too. :)

Ha! You're more than welcome, I enjoyed learning the lessons (ok so the outcome of calibrating the compass in a stupid place wasn't enjoyable and I needed to buy new underwear, but mostly enjoyed) and finding the answers but I was aware it was taking me a lot of time and so I figured I'd just put down some things I would have found useful to know back in the early days.

If I've now moved on to wine recommendations then I must start to show close-ups of labels - and I will definitely have to find someone to sponsor me from that field! :)

Thanks again for the kind words, hope you and others are able to take advantage of some of the offers and prizes I'm doing this week to say "thank you" back.

Thanks to user KG4MXV I've tweaked the first checklist to include the small screw on the motor bell housing that secures it to the armature. His had worked itself loose to the point where there was free play. He only discovered the cause when seeing that the e-clip was still securely fastened. Another one to check that's easily overlook as it's very small.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik