Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Re: Preventative Maintenance checklists

quick point to say that all the p2 and vision craft have a rattle as standard, caused by the rx bind switch, this is normal, and was the cause of me taking mine to pieces , thanks pull up for the info

I tried to have a look under the hood of my P2V today but I failed at the very last screw. I am referring to the very small screws at the tip of the arms. Three came out very well but the 4th failed to budge and I have now managed to damage the head :oops: I am using a good quality screwdriver but my attempt failed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove this screw now that I have damaged the head? Also what size is it so I can get a replacement?

I noticed that all of the bolts and screws were secured by a tiny dab of locktite. What do others do when replacing them, apply more lock tight or just check tightness before each flight?

Anyway, I put my embarrassment out there for the learning of others ........ :oops:

Shrimpfarmer said:
I tried to have a look under the hood of my P2V today but I failed at the very last screw. I am referring to the very small screws at the tip of the arms. Three came out very well but the 4th failed to budge and I have now managed to damage the head :oops: I am using a good quality screwdriver but my attempt failed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove this screw now that I have damaged the head? Also what size is it so I can get a replacement?

I noticed that all of the bolts and screws were secured by a tiny dab of locktite. What do others do when replacing them, apply more lock tight or just check tightness before each flight?

Anyway, I put my embarrassment out there for the learning of others ........ :oops:

Take it in to an auto parts store, like O'reily's or Autozone - They should have some removal bits (almost like a reverse cut drill bit) that will cut/grab into the stripped indention of the screw in question and get it out. I've heard locktite is bad on plastic, which makes me wonder why they used locktite in the first place. Someone (an airplane mechanic) once stated he uses varnish on screws.

TexomaEV said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Take it in to an auto parts store, like O'reily's or Autozone - They should have some removal bits (almost like a reverse cut drill bit) that will cut/grab into the stripped indention of the screw in question and get it out. I've heard locktite is bad on plastic, which makes me wonder why they used locktite in the first place. Someone (an airplane mechanic) once stated he uses varnish on screws.

One brand of screw removal tools that I've always had luck with is "EasyOut" They use locktite on those screws because the screw is going into a metal bushing, not plastic. It's one of the nice things about the fit and finish on Phantoms. :)

-slinger

not sure if they do easy outs that small, if a cross head is stripped, then normally a flat head the right size should get hold and take it out , the screw driver that comes with the phantom is the perfect size for theses screws

shortyuk said:
not sure if they do easy outs that small, if a cross head is stripped, then normally a flat head the right size should get hold and take it out , the screw driver that comes with the phantom is the perfect size for theses screws

Good point. I just took a look at that screw... That'd be one tiny EasyOut... :lol:

Last resort…
May just have to try and drill the head off. Since that's the last screw, once the head is off you should be able to separate the two halves.
That is risky and would require a lot of patience and care.
I would suggest getting a bit slightly little larger than the shaft of the screw and chuck it up in a variable speed Dremel tool. A (dremel drill press would sure be best) Try to get the bit started as near the center of the screw and proceed slowly and cautiously until the head loosens and can be removed.

Thanks for the tips folks. I will let you know how I get on.

Whats the current thinking on the use of lock tight ? Can you keep reapplying it or will it eventually just gum up the works ? Would it be madness not to reapply it and just check tightness of all nuts and bolts before flight ?

Pull_Up said:
I have never reapplied, prefer to check every week...

That is what I was hoping you would say and its good enough for me. I have added the small socket driver to my flight box so I can do a quick check before flying.

Tip for removing the screws on the ends of the arms:
When opening the lid of the phantom, you need to unscrew 12 2mm hex head screw and 4 Phillips head screws, to make it easier to remover the Phillips head screws, undo them BEFORE removing the hex screws, as the hex screw will hold some pressure on the lid and allow the "star" screw to come out easily. Removing the hex screws before the little Phillips one, will put all the pressure from the lid onto those four screws making it harder to remove.

If your stuck trying to get the little screw out still, try putting the two 2mm has screws back in on that arm and then try again, you can get a little pack of replacement screws for the phantom, has most of them, inc the little Phillips head screws for the arm (if your one is damaged etc)

Driffill said:
Removing the hex screws before the little Phillips one, will put all the pressure from the lid onto those four screws making it harder to remove.

I think this was my mistake. I tried to loosen one screw which gave without any problem and then did all the hex screws before coming back to the little terrors.

I will have another go at the little guy thats stuck but this time with the hex screws in place.

I would like to add a maintenance tip but one that may seem a little odd. It actually saved me today whilst out filming.

Take a large clear plastic bag big enough to easily engulf your phantom and transmitter. Just keep it handy with you because when a monster rain cloud strikes and your nowhere near shelter you can throw it over the phantom and Tx and not worry about rain water seeping into your pride and joy.

Reactions: dhsprogis

Shrimpfarmer said:
I would like to add a maintenance tip but one that may seem a little odd. It actually saved me today whilst out filming.

Take a large clear plastic bag big enough to easily engulf your phantom and transmitter. Just keep it handy with you because when a monster rain cloud strikes and your nowhere near shelter you can throw it over the phantom and Tx and not worry about rain water seeping into your pride and joy.

Plastic bag is going into my Phantom case the minute I get home tonight...

Thanks, Shrimp...
-slinger

Shrimpfarmer said:

Nice idea! I wouldn't want to open my flight case and risk the inside of that getting wet in that scenario, so a jury-rigged "Phantom mac" is very useful. :)

Pull_Up said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Nice idea! I wouldn't want to open my flight case and risk the inside of that getting wet in that scenario, so a jury-rigged "Phantom mac" is very useful. :)

Into the pocket it goes on dicey days that could go either way, weather-wise...

hi again pull_up, not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but is there a time when it is advised to change motors, esc etc, or have dji not stated this, also what happens if a motor fails, will it just fall from the sky?

Indeed. Flight with power on just three corners is going to be brief, and mostly of the "negative climb" variety. Hex's and more so octocopters can maintain stability on loss of one motor enough to at least get down in a more civilised manner.

There's no "life" figures that I know of. If I was operating one of these in a commercial setting and I was piling the hours on I'd probably be tempted to swap everything out in any event on an annual basis. Bad for your reputation if it goes during a job, and showing regular preventative maintenance is a requirement of a CAA permission for aerial work...

In our case you can keep an eye on motors by watching/listening for anything unusual and checking them on a regular basis. The only component that can really wear out is the bearings, and apparently these are readily available and it's fairly straightforward to swap out. If your motor shaft starts to get some up and down movement in it then that could be a sign that you need to think about having a look. The ESCs? I think as with most electronics there's likely to be little prior notice of a component failure, but again being vigilant to changes in normal performance is about all you can do.

As these machines are aimed at consumers there's unlikely to be data sheets with the sort of info you've asked for. I don't even know if DJI's pro/prosumer kit has indications of expected component life. It'd all be measured in hours anyway, and again it's the pro users with licence/permission requirements to fulfill who are more likely to keep hours logs of their equipment, both for airworthiness and insurance purposes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik