Pretty unimpressive FPV range

Reaction score
I have the AVL58 with a cloverleaf antenna, using a right-angle connector so it points straight down. I'm using a 5" wireless receiver / monitor / DVR as seen at DroneFly, also equipped with a cloverleaf (this is not a diversity receiver.)

Works fine up close, but I can't even get 300ft. line of sight at about 100' elevation.

Opened up the AVL58 and antenna solder joints seemed good. I was using channel 1. Flipping through the channels at home, channel 4 looked a little better so I'll try that and see if that makes any difference, but I'm starting to think a diversity receiver is the only way to go with these things.

I also have the AVL58 with DJI cloverleaf antenna. My monitor is the Black Pearl diversity. I have the DJI cloverleaf Rx antenna on one post and the standard wipe antenna on the other. I get to about 250 meters before the signal starts to break up. Can someone tell me what 250m's is in feet? And when is DJI going to have a firmware update to the iosd that lets you set feet instead of meters!?

DesertFlyer53 said:
Can someone tell me what 250m's is in feet?

I might be able to help. Can you get to a computer somewhere that has access to the Internet?

Antithetical to the idea of a so-called "knowledge base", I know, but I think sometimes it's actually more helpful to not answer a question. Poor kid is on a computer asking how to convert meters to feet.

Okay. Cool.

So I have the cheap 5" wireless display from DroneFly, which is a no-brand thing known only as "Wireless Mini Camera DVR" and it's mounted to my DJI controller. Come to find out the controller signal interferes with the display a little. Just enough to make the screen jump every now and then, but this interference wreaks more havoc on the display as the video signal gets weaker.
Move the display a couple feet away and things are fine.

Stuff to know if you decide to go the cheap route with your FPV setup.

Eos630 said:
Antithetical to the idea of a so-called "knowledge base", I know, but I think sometimes it's actually more helpful to not answer a question. Poor kid is on a computer asking how to convert meters to feet.

Guess I should have worded that differently. I was being sarcastic... I know I could have looked up the conversion in like 5 seconds. I was basically making a point... why can't there be a standard readout for the iosd?

Some people are just rude. There is a foe feature here I may have to start using. :twisted:

I'm not the only one who didn't see the sarcasm, but please accept my apologies.

There is a standard readout for the iOSD. Just not the American standard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik