Pretty sure I just lost my drone to Mexican customs.

Ok so when you get you next Quad what are you going to get? A new P3P or a P4? That is really truly the only unanswered question.
Im thinking about a P4 but the P3P can be had again relatively cheap.

I would get some cash. You make be paying the bribe on the back end. Likely called a storage fee.
I spoke with a local who said exactly this. He told me to have cash and ill probably get it back.

So here's a thought. Does it have an FAA number on it? This could be used in your favor to get it back maybe, or be a problem if someone does something illegal with it.......

Reactions: Phantom fool
Hmmm. Ok so they took is drone and told him they couldn't give him a receipt and some of you think he's getting it back? Really? Puff puff pass!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Just saw a Phantom drone fly over the border from Mexico. Looked weird, had a small bag attached from one of the legs...

Sure you did! Why do people have to make things up in order to make a point?

Yes. But even that really would not help. The dude is flying it right now. Why not ask for supervisior. You have not committed crime.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yea Tony but many places have so much corruption it is unbelievable. And a lot of the Far East is notorious for it so be careful when there.
About 10 years ago I went to Mexico volunteering building a church. About 20 miles over the border we got stopped for speeding. We were all together, 2 vehicles with WI license plates and our translator who was a native of Mexico. Said the 2 WI vehicles were speeding. Then our translator shows up and said that was impossible as we were all together. They told him he was speeding as well. They initially wanted $200/car = $600. Translator asked to see the chief of police. They said he was out til Tuesday so we could hang around town and wait to see him, this was like Thursday. So they negotiated and we ended up paying $20 cash per car for a total of $60. Funny thing is we went to the inner most part of Mexico and back and never got stopped again.

And once an extremely close friend was on a cruise and stopped in Mexico. They walked around and got something to eat at a restaurant. He orders a shrimp cocktail and when he got the bill instead of being like $5 or $10 it was like $50 or $100. When he complained the manager told him the price was per shrimp. He was told to either pay or they would call the police and they guaranteed he would miss the cruise departure. So what do you do? You're in their country and if it has a reputation of being corrupt you just have to do the best. And yes, most are looking to get their palms greased.

In Mexico, it's usually the politicians who are corrupt. In the United States you have Bernie Madoff and the rest of the Wall Stree
Yes. But even that really would not help. The dude is flying it right now. Why not ask for supervisior. You have not committed crime.

In Mexico, you can request for a supervisor to come out but you risk being detained for at-least 24 hours. Cops will even tell you that if you want to contest anything you have the right to go see the "judge" but that you will be detained. It's all ********! Not worth the hassle. Slip the cop a $20 bill and you'll be let go.

Again.. What will you be buying next, P4 or that new Yuneec? Cuz this ship has sailed.

Again.. What will you be buying next, P4 or that new Yuneec? Cuz this ship has sailed.
I've got an eye on the roll-out of the new Typhoon H. Looks like a nice bird. Waiting to see what transpires and how it performs.

Take it Ez mojo. Hehehe:) this thread has convinced me. I will take my charger out and let it travel with my other luggage when I leave country. Wished I could put a password on the drone. But if they take it. I be damned if they will be able to charge it. Buy your own.

Reactions: sshephard
Yea Tony but many places have so much corruption it is unbelievable. And a lot of the Far East is notorious for it so be careful when there.
About 10 years ago I went to Mexico volunteering building a church. About 20 miles over the border we got stopped for speeding. We were all together, 2 vehicles with WI license plates and our translator who was a native of Mexico. Said the 2 WI vehicles were speeding. Then our translator shows up and said that was impossible as we were all together. They told him he was speeding as well. They initially wanted $200/car = $600. Translator asked to see the chief of police. They said he was out til Tuesday so we could hang around town and wait to see him, this was like Thursday. So they negotiated and we ended up paying $20 cash per car for a total of $60. Funny thing is we went to the inner most part of Mexico and back and never got stopped again.

And once an extremely close friend was on a cruise and stopped in Mexico. They walked around and got something to eat at a restaurant. He orders a shrimp cocktail and when he got the bill instead of being like $5 or $10 it was like $50 or $100. When he complained the manager told him the price was per shrimp. He was told to either pay or they would call the police and they guaranteed he would miss the cruise departure. So what do you do? You're in their country and if it has a reputation of being corrupt you just have to do the best. And yes, most are looking to get their palms greased.
For sure. In the Philippines. Very corrupt. I say. Just bring your wallet. :)

Sorry man that sucks but thank you for posting and sharing your misfortune. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. I certainly have and I will try to be better prepared for our Cancun trip in December. I looked up 'Mexican drone' laws and currently there is no law banning drones in their air space other than at night. Take care and good luck!

I don't man. I've found Mexican people to be one of the nicest people. I've been to Cancun 4 times with my drone. Have it flown it all over the islands there. Never had any problem...
I'm not Mexican by the way. I'm sure there are some crooked people there but the general public is very nice.

Reactions: chapsrlz
They need them drones to fly drugs over the border, the Cartel pays big money for them.
Don't think a phantom can carry much. If they needed it for that. They can order direct from China. It's not like this Is some top secret hardware.

Yup, next time be sure to have cash with you and ask if the $25 transportation fee applies. If it does not, follow-up by asking about the $50 transportation fee ... and so on. Make sure it sounds like an official fee rather than a bribe.

Reactions: JBJO and PEEFA
Yup, next time be sure to have cash with you and ask if the $25 transportation fee applies. If it does not, follow-up by asking about the $50 transportation fee ... and so on. Make sure it sounds like an official fee rather than a bribe.

This is the right way around it.

Reactions: sshephard
I spoke with a local who said exactly this. He told me to have cash and ill probably get it back.
I hope you're right. However, it sounds like they already had that discussion, and decided they preferred your drone over the "tax."

Reactions: Tony Cowan
And my block & brick layer replied with this:
View attachment 49942
But we're wishing you, all the good luck and many best wishes... Of its return to you, in one piece. ;-)

RedHotPoker
had stress cracks, new drone thyme? :D
throw fit at border anyway especially if you see the flake that held it hostage.
if my drone had a crack I would purge it, just saying. cool job you got there.

Reactions: mmee1992

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers