Pretty sure I just lost my drone to Mexican customs.

Reaction score
I have had my P3Pro since the first week that it came out and I love it. The only problem I have had is with stress cracks in the motor mount areas. I was traveling into Puerto Vallarta as the pilot of a private jet and they said that drones are not allowed into the country (which is not true). Then he said that it is a restriction for flight crew members only and that if I was a passenger it would have been fine. He said that they had to confiscate it and keep it in their customs offices until my return to the US on Sunday. When I asked for a receipt showing that I left it with them they said that if they documented it I wouldn't end up getting it back at all. So I am hoping they're being honest with me and they will return it to me on Sunday but I'm not holding my breath. About 1700 dollars worth of stuff in that backpack. The only thing they let me take out of it was my iPad and the gimbal because it was just an "accessory"

well its mexico crap shoot corrupt country good luck but I think it is the last you will see of it

Reactions: mmee1992
Bummer. My guess is they are keeping for themselves. Lame excuse for absconding it. A total abuse of power. I hope I am wrong and that you get it back.

So many 'red flags'.

Best of luck and promise an update too if you would.

use to live in az would go to mexico all the time they make up there own rules

well its mexico crap shoot corrupt country good luck but I think it is the last you will see of it
Thanks. Im not going to get my hopes up. I just feel so helpless. Not really much you can do down here.

use to live in az would go to mexico all the time they make up there own rules
Yep I couldn't find those "rules" anywhere on the internet but who am I to tell a government official with a gun what I can and can't do.

So many 'red flags'.

Best of luck and promise an update too if you would.
I will give an update for sure. Hopefully that I have it back safe and sound. If not, it will be a post that I got a shiny new P4.

crossed border one time in my new 4x4 Mexican police holding there machine guns stop me searched truck said I need to pay 50 dollars for there time payed it drove back to us side complained to border patrol and they just said your lucky that's all they wanted

And what ,you think a poor country is going to pay more than the official makes in a week to ship it to you[emoji41]
Im not sure what you are talking about. Who said anything about shipping?

And what ,you think a poor country is going to pay more than the official makes in a week to ship it to you[emoji41]
I am leaving the country on Sunday back to the US. He said when I leave I can take it then.

My bad 1992, please dont take it personal ( i'm a skeptic at heart)
I must've misread! Its obvious youve had some good times with this p3 and hope they let you go home w/ it!
But if they dont, keep yer cool and be safe!

I took my Phantom 3 Pro to Cabo last November and was ordered to pay a duty tax (anything over $500 per person), but at least I was able to keep it.

I took my Phantom 3 Pro to Cabo last November and was ordered to pay a duty tax (anything over $500 per person), but at least I was able to keep it.
I thought that was the rule and it seemed like they were going to let me do that and then they backed up a bit and said that I couldn't for whatever reason.

I have had my P3Pro since the first week that it came out and I love it. The only problem I have had is with stress cracks in the motor mount areas. I was traveling into Puerto Vallarta as the pilot of a private jet and they said that drones are not allowed into the country (which is not true). Then he said that it is a restriction for flight crew members only and that if I was a passenger it would have been fine. He said that they had to confiscate it and keep it in their customs offices until my return to the US on Sunday. When I asked for a receipt showing that I left it with them they said that if they documented it I wouldn't end up getting it back at all. So I am hoping they're being honest with me and they will return it to me on Sunday but I'm not holding my breath. About 1700 dollars worth of stuff in that **** backpack. The only thing they let me take out of it was my iPad and the gimbal because it was just an "accessory"

Dude, unfortunately you just fell for the oldest trick in the Mexican police book. You pretty much just got jacked! I'm sorry to say but you will not be getting your drone back. Those **** thieves! That would have been a good time to bribe them. That's what they were hoping you'd do. I bet that by now, one of the cops little kid cousins is flying and enjoying his new Phantom. :(

Dude, unfortunately you just fell for the oldest trick in the Mexican police book. You pretty much just got jacked! I'm sorry to say but you will not be getting your drone back. Those **** thieves! That would have been a good time to bribe them. That's what they were hoping you'd do. I bet that by now, one of the cops little kid cousins is flying and enjoying his new Phantom. :(
Yeah I know. I had no cash whatsoever on me otherwise I would have done exactly that.

Sorry man that sucks but thank you for posting and sharing your misfortune. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. I certainly have and I will try to be better prepared for our Cancun trip in December. I looked up 'Mexican drone' laws and currently there is no law banning drones in their air space other than at night. Take care and good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31