Pretty much can't fly drones in Cali now

Reaction score
Ok, so before I bought my P3A a couple days ago, I did a ton of research on where I can fly (mostly in Socal and I also emailed the NPS to get some clarification on flying in a state park and they said it was fine. Here's the email....

"Thank you for your email. The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is a complex area, because many parks are owned by different agencies like the National Park Service, California State Parks, Mountains, Recreation, and Conservation Authority, among other, including private property. The park sites that are owned by the National Park Service do not allow drones at all. Mountains, Recreation, and Conservation Authority also do not allow drones on their land. California State Parks do allow drones, as long as you do not harass or interfere with wild animals. On this link: https://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/maps.htm, it shows you which park site is managed by who."

So recently on my right before my second flight with the P3A I got stopped by a park ranger and he said I could not fly in that area. I told him that this was a state park and I got told from THE NPS THAT IT WAS OK, but he said it wasn't and showed me two papers that stated you can't fly in state parks. (I attached the photos of the document) So know I can fly virtually no where close by and I'll probably be selling my P3A very soon. :( What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_8728.JPG
    IMG_8728.JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 1,826
  • IMG_8729.JPG
    IMG_8729.JPG
    806.9 KB · Views: 1,693
Same thing happened to me in a Nevada state park. No point in arguing with the ranger so I packed up my stuff and I left.

Reactions: Droneflyer500
Same thing happened to me in a Nevada state park. No point in arguing with the ranger so I packed up my stuff and I left.
Yup good chance I'll just sell my drone now since I'm surrounded by beautiful state parks that I can't fly in! :(

There are still plenty of places you can fly in Socal. If you want, you can always take off and land outside of the park boundaries and fly over and around the park. The state may own the land, but the airspace belongs to the FAA, and as long as long as they say you can use their airspace, you're legal.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is not news.
Claiming you can't fly in Cali. is sensationalizing a known restriction.

Sit back, settle down, and review the current laws applicable to r/c aircraft in your locale.

State Parks are'nt National Parks.
Rules can be and are different in many States.

Last edited:
Ok, so before I bought my P3A a couple days ago, I did a ton of research on where I can fly (mostly in Socal and I also emailed the NPS to get some clarification on flying in a state park and they said it was fine. Here's the email....

"Thank you for your email. The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is a complex area, because many parks are owned by different agencies like the National Park Service, California State Parks, Mountains, Recreation, and Conservation Authority, among other, including private property. The park sites that are owned by the National Park Service do not allow drones at all. Mountains, Recreation, and Conservation Authority also do not allow drones on their land. California State Parks do allow drones, as long as you do not harass or interfere with wild animals. On this link: Maps - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service), it shows you which park site is managed by who."

So recently on my right before my second flight with the P3A I got stopped by a park ranger and he said I could not fly in that area. I told him that this was a state park and I got told from THE NPS THAT IT WAS OK, but he said it wasn't and showed me two papers that stated you can't fly in state parks. (I attached the photos of the document) So know I can fly virtually no where close by and I'll probably be selling my P3A very soon. :( What do you guys think?

Don't despair... Get creative if you're serious! There are many beautiful places to fly in the state... just gotta research, and get on your horse and head out.

Reactions: Bigdz
This is not news.
Claiming you can't fly in Cali. is sensationalizing a known restriction.

Sit back, settle down, and review the current laws applicable to r/c aircraft in your locale.
Lol read it again before flying and buying the drone I emailed the NPS and they said it was ok to fly in state parks, then 6 days later I got stopped

Get used to change.
Arrogant, entitled, narcissistic operators will continue to precipitate further restrictions.
Some find it OK to do anything not currently restricted despite the possible lack of respect for others.

I emailed the NPS and they said it was ok to fly in state parks, then 6 days later I got stopped
Don't rely on what the National Park Service says about state parks. They aren't going to be up on the latest rules. Contact the relevant agencies directly.

Seriously 500,

You live in the nanniest of nanny states and I run a close second here in Jersey! But Massachusetts and NY are killing each other for that coveted #2 seat, lol... but I digress..

Don't get discouraged and don't do anything rash. Unfortunately for you, and all of us, videographing some of CA's beautiful offerings presents a challenge, but it's not insurmountable.

Please take some time to learn and understand fed, state, and local regs. They can be you worst enemy or your best friend!! Let's pull the "best friend" thread...if you've done your research (an undue burden, we all understand), and have all fed, state, and local regs on hand (hardcopy please, preferably downloaded from all applicable websites), and you are operating your UAV in accordance with all applicable regs, then enjoy your flight(s), as long as you are operating legally. Safe Flights & Good Sights, we'd love to see the vids...
When operating legally, kindly activate your body cam when Barney Fife shows up to shut you down! Not only will you make a fortune on YouTube, but you'll win your civil suit as well! The law cuts BOTH ways my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Seriously 500,

You live in the nanniest of nanny states and I run a close second here in Jersey! But Massachusetts and NY are killing each other for that coveted #2 seat, lol... but I digress..

Don't get discouraged and don't do anything rash. Unfortunately for you, and all of us, videographing some of CA's beautiful offerings presents a challenge, but it's not insurmountable.

Please take some time to learn and understand fed, state, and local regs. They can be you worst enemy or your best friend!! Let's pull the "best friend" thread...if you've done your research (an undue burden, we all understand), and have all fed, state, and local regs on hand (hardcopy please, preferably downloaded from all applicable websites), and you are operating your UAV in accordance with all applicable regs, then enjoy your flight(s), as long as you are operating legally. Safe Flights & Good Sights, we'd love to see the vids...
When operating legally, kindly activate your body cam when Barney Fife shows up to shut you down! Not only will you make a fortune on YouTube, but you'll win your civil suit as well! The law cuts BOTH ways my friend!

It'

I'd pay a dollar to watch you, on your body cam, break out your binder full of all applicable regs and flummox said law enforcement officer into citing you, just to save his/her pride and assert their "law enforcement" authority... it's kinda like a perpetual free lottery ticket, bub [emoji3]

Don't despair... Get creative if you're serious! There are many beautiful places to fly in the state... just gotta research, and get on your horse and head out.

AMEN to that. If you get stopped by a ranger then you are flying in the wrong place--legal or not. The inland empire of Socal is huge--access is unlimited if you can walk. The best places are NOT in parks--by definition. A lifetime of flying would not be enough time to experience Socal outside of the park system. In case you didn't know "park" is short for "parking lot". and you pay for the privilege. (my tongue is only part way in my cheek)

California is a beautiful state but with ugly laws all around, it doesn't matter what your hobby is, its pretty much restricted in CA it seems like. CA seems to be like its own little country. Its a shame. You can't fly in state parks, you can't fly in a lot of city environments due to local ordinances, airports and such. My best guess is just go out in the desert way the XXXX away from people and fly. It can be done, there is a lot of wide open desert out there far from the prying eyes of park rangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.