Prepped for Winter Flying

Reaction score
Ok it's super far from being pretty, but I wont be taking it to any Quad Shows anytime soon. :oops:
What is important is a little common sense when it comes to cold air and electronic parts. I took some old stickers I had cut them to size in covering the air vents that only applied to forward flying for now. I'll probably go ahead and cover the remaining vents when I know our weather is past the days of anything above say 35 degrees. As it is now if warm streak should happen I could peel off what I needed to.

Last winter I would have never thought of doing anything like this, and I don't remember reading anyone else during that time either. Had I read something I more then likely set my quad up with covering the vents back then. Is this something that needs to be done, it's not going to hurt doing it as long as the weather is appropriate. Sadly enough, I have already flown in weather cold enough to frost bite my fingers in 12-15 minutes. I could see my tablet didn't do so well in the cold weather either. So I would hate to watch my quad fly away on it's own because the electronic workings could have some precautions.

If anyone can think of any other trick that might help, please share it.

Attachments

• 1dirtquad.jpg
    1dirtquad.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 505
Ya know.... That is something I'd never consider. If the internals frost over you could very well have a fly away, or a catastrophic electronic failure & a motor cut out at altitude.

Airplanes are concerned about frost on the leading edges of the airfoils.... Why shouldn't we be concerned with supercooled air (it's MUCH colder at 100+ feet than on the ground) while airborne?

What temps did you fly in? I curious if you can fly at 0-20 degree F without any problems. That is where I am headed.

With flytrex I log the airtemp and you are right it is cooler the higher you go.

18 degrees is my cutoff temp. This is mostly because I flew with only one glove. With there being the new controller where you have the thumb wheel to guide the camera I would try flying with both gloves on. As for a phone or tablet working very long would be the limiting factor. I know for a fact my tablets screen function would not make it past 15 minutes in those temps.

And I thought my bird looked like a space ship! Awesome flyNfrank!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers