Premature Failsafe

Reaction score
I am experiencing a maddening problem with one of my P2's. It's running 3.08 firmware, and I am using the Futaba 14SG radio, Ian Wood's profile (with one mod for Manual mode lockout) and stock receiver. For the past couple months I have been experiencing a growing rash of premature failsafe incidents. One over water nearly cost me the bird, were it not for fast and accurate boat driving as the P2 was landing in the middle of nowhere. It's happened at least a dozen times the past two months, and about 30% of my total flights it's randomly going into FS GHome mode. In a small percentage of those cases, toggling between GPS and ATTI will get it out of GHome, but most often, it no longer listens to me. Sometimes, including just now, it boots up in ATTI/FS, with flashing yellow lights. Once GPS warms up, it goes into GPS/FS, and then sometimes out of FS into normal GPS with flashing green lights. Also, possible clue, gimbal tilt no longer works once it goes into GHome, but maybe that's expected. I first thought it might be the GPS connector (based on some reading here), so last time I had the shell opened, I put a small patch of electrical tape on one side of the male connector, to firm up the connection. I also checked all physical connections, and buttoned her up. Since the problem first started, I have done deep IMU calibration, recalibrated the radio and P2, and compass dance every time I fly somewhere new. I've never had problems getting good sats, and never launch with less than 6, typically 9 to 12, and always manually set home location before launching, clear of nearby obstructions since it now seems to want to come home often. It just kicked in again less than 100m away. This is a bird that has gone 4km, so something is clearly wrong. I have the same payload as always: H3-3D, Hero3+, iOSD Mini, and ImmersionRC vTx (either 250mW or 600mW).

Possible voodoo tactics I am considering:
1) Re-binding to the radio. I confess I have no idea if there is a problem running multiple P2's from the same 14SG.
2) Downgrade to an earlier firmware, on the theory that the issue is with the latest firmware (but then why aren't others having this problem?)
3) Toggle the Failsafe setting in the Assistant to Landing then back to Go-Home and Landing (don't want to leave it in "Landing" only, for obvious reasons, including frequent flights over water)
4) Opening shell and searching for other possible connection issues
5) Re-routing antennas on legs, to get them away from possible noise sources? (Though they're in same position as stock, which has never been a problem.)

Open to any ideas any of you might have.

Kelly

Well, I am new to this but, you say the bird is running v3.10.......
That version was pulled by dji and everyone was advised roll back to v3.08....... Plug the quad in and update back to v3.08 before you fly again......

I would agree to get off 3.10 but it sounds like it was doing it before that came out.

Battery issues possibly? Any indications it's doing it due to low battery?

My mistake. I was on v3.10 firmware, but downgraded to 3.08 some time ago. Today it's on v3.08, and problem still persists. I will edit the original post to avoid further confusion.

Kelly

I agree on battery possibility, I have one acting up and I use it only for close in flying now..

I have 2 phantoms , a plus and p2v1, I installed the 4mm gps antenna on both and both are just rock solid in short time and STAY locked.

I have been flying at ground level inside park in valley with snow on ground and trees with light snow and heavy clouds and never drop sat lock with either quads.

mendezl said:
What is manual mode lock out mod?

It's a feature on one of the Futaba 14SG profiles, that enables Manual Mode only when you hold the SH momentary switch, which springs back when you release it, putting you quickly back in ATTI mode when things get hairy on the descent.

Kelly

nycmagician said:
My guess is that it's a battery issue.

Agree. This puppy is now quite sick. When I go to CSC, I get rapid flashing red lights, and no motor start. I tried my DJI and NukeRC and Limefuel batteries. No joy with any of them. I put it on the Assistant, and it says non DJI intelligent battery. Great...

nycmagician said:
There is a whole thread devoted to Phantom Battery issues and premature landing.

Been there, but not recently. Will read up on it. In the mean time HAL, please open the f*cking pod bay doors.

Kelly

Since it doesn't see any of your battery as legitimate I would check and clean the battery terminal and data contacts on battery and quad. Good contact cleaner, deox, alchohol, etc.

Plug the Phantom into the assistant and confirm the flight mode isn't stuck or intermittently flipping into failsafe. Give both remote and bird a good jiggle while watching the flight mode.

If it doesn't show failsafe, then something else is at play.

If you're getting non-intelligent battery messages all of a sudden, check the two small pins that go to the battery. That plastic clip that holds them is prone to cracking and could result in a bad contact.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I just confirmed today that all 8 batteries work just fine on my other P2' and I am definitely getting the non intelligent battery error in Assistant. Will check data pins, and clean contacts.

Ian and Kirk get the Columbo award on this one. I checked the data pins, and sure enough one was recessed further into its receptacle than the other. I gently pulled it back out to same distance as other pin, inserted a battery that had refused to start last week, and viola.

This now explains, I think, the premature GHome/FS behavior I've been seeing on this ship the past few months. I am speculating that some amount of vibration/movement/power/G's breaks the gap on the problematic pin, and Naza decides "let's go home". What's recommended PM on those pins in terms of lube of choice and frequency?

Anyone know the availability of replacement battery connection module?

Kelly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers