Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Preloading Maps

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by stealthbomber, Nov 3, 2015.

1. stealthbomber

Wondering if it's possible to preload a map of a flying area while at home on wifi so they can be viewed on my non GPS iPad while flying? Thought I read here somewhere that it could be done. Maybe I dreamt that! If it can be done- how?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes, it's known as "caching" the map. Do the following:
    1. Open the DJI GO app (while connected to the Internet).
    2. Move the map to the location where you'll be flying (at the zoom level you'll be flying).
    3. Move around on the map by touching it and dragging your finger to show all areas where you're going to fly.
    That'll allow those map images to download to your iPad and be saved for offline use.

3. stealthbomber

So it's that easy? No magic button? No iPad setting? Why would there be a need for a GPS unit other than using follow me and waypoints- two features that will only be used once by anyone just to say how cool it works? The one feature that is practical is the POI and it doesn't need a GPS tablet to work. I'm thinking pretty much everyone knows where they are gonna fly before leaving home and cache the appropriate area map?! Hmmmmmm can't wait to give this a try. Thanks

clivek_77 likes this.
  4. 4wd

4wd

In practice you can't always be sure how your day will pan out, maps only stay cached for a few days - a month at most.
    You might even find that a full shut down to conserve battery deletes the cache.
    Here there is very limited mobile service and hardly any 3G so it's cache before or do without most times.
    Having said that on Android (at least) there is an onboard rather crude map which shows roads and major features - it's better than nothing.

5. clivek_77

Just to clarify as I've not got my p3 yet, if you want to use a mobile device tablet etc other than using this method it has to be 3g etc capable?

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not at all. There is no need at all for any mobile phone connectivity to happily and safely fly your Phantom 3.

clivek_77 likes this.