Preferred app for long range runs

SA,

For me, it's hands down Litchi (Android with a tablet dedicated to flying). I think I've probably tried just about all of them. Flew alphas and betas for many. About 8 months ago I settled in on Litchi and never looked back. For me, it's been the most stable and the interface is very familiar as it's quite similar to DJI Go.

I've done many 6+ mile runs with it using my P3Pro's (no mods other than a windsurfer) and have even done 5+ mile runs with my P2V+v3 (no mods).

Some of the others you mentioned may be much better today then they were when I used or tested them but I grew tired of constantly testing the next best thing.

Litchi continues to advance its product and communicates very effectively. If you have an idea, throw it to them, usually within 24 hours they'll respond. If they like your idea they'll put it on the list. Early on the record button didn't blink or change color. I asked them if they could change the color to red and make it blink. Two days later a new update was out, the record button was red and blinking. If they don't like your idea or if they don't know if they'll implement it, they'll tell you so.

Litchi is comprised of two individuals the last I was aware, I don't know how or when they sleep. They're completely customer driven. I only fly Litchi now. I use DJI Go for some of the settings that Litchi doesn't provide and I'll do test runs with Go when I've done some updating, short of that its all Litchi.

Just my opinions, of course.

Jerry

Reactions: AL T
A huge advantage of Litchi WP is that it will follow through and complete missions regardless of connectivity. Anything reasonably complex in mountainous terrain is best served by Litchi WP.

Clearly, Autopilot WP does a much better job managing the flight path and in particular smooth camera motions. Problem is, it you lose connectivity all these advantages just went out the window....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

For iOS its FPV Camera for autonomous waypoint flights hands down.

Reactions: PVFlyer
DJI go for long range flights. Definitely not autopilot.

Is there a benefit during long range flights?

Mojo,

Many bennies. First and most importantly, you can sit in your living room and preplan your flights. I have at least 50 flights saved on my tablet and computer that I can re-run any time I choose. If you go out of range and you've set it up to do so, it will continue on it's flight path even if you've lost control. Not as big an issue with the P3Pro as it was with my P2V+v3. Those would be thye two most relevant things regarding Litchi and long range flights. Obviously, it has many other flight modes but that falls outside of the OP's original question.

Jerry

I've flown a couple of long range flights with DJI Go. I was controlling the bird the whole flight. No autopilot. The day I need to use autopilot to fly, I will sell my bird. The whole reason I have it is to fly it and get some video while flying it. However, if I'm not the one flying it, I don't care to have it.
No disrespect to anyone else, just how I feel about mine.

Wheelie,

To each his own. I like to fly all various ways. Manually in ATTI, GPS assisted and in advanced flight modes. Waypoint flying can be a bit like a cable cam. I can set a particular route and manually manipulate my camera and bird rotation as I go or I can have Litchi do that as well. I like to do a lot of different things. You'd have a hard time doing something like this without waypoint flight modes:

Jerry

Mojo,

Many bennies. First and most importantly, you can sit in your living room and preplan your flights. I have at least 50 flights saved on my tablet and computer that I can re-run any time I choose. If you go out of range and you've set it up to do so, it will continue on it's flight path even if you've lost control.

Jerry

I must have misunderstood the point of the thread. Autonomous flight to me is not the same as long range flight. I considered it to mean a flight where you control the bird. In that case I would still say DJI Go..is what I prefer. Here is why, it allows you full control of all manual camera controls and settings. It allows you advanced monitoring of the cells on the battery which is critical during long range flights. Click the button get a real time view of the power on each cell. I don't think Litchi gives you any advantage in long range piloted flights.

Now autonomous flights that's another ballgame.. Litchi would be my preference.

I've flown a couple of long range flights with DJI Go. I was controlling the bird the whole flight. No autopilot. The day I need to use autopilot to fly, I will sell my bird. The whole reason I have it is to fly it and get some video while flying it. However, if I'm not the one flying it, I don't care to have it.
I like both. I do like the idea of plotting long autonomous flights and watching how they play out. I also like going in the middle of nowhere flying the P3 out until the return home kicks in.. They are different ways to fly both are cool.

I must have misunderstood the point of the thread. Autonomous flight to me is not the same as long range flight. I considered it to mean a flight where you control the bird. In that case I would still say DJI Go..is what I prefer. Here is why, it allows you full control of all manual camera controls and settings. It allows you advanced monitoring of the cells on the battery which is critical during long range flights. Click the button get a real time view of the power on each cell. I don't think Litchi gives you any advantage in long range piloted flights.

Now autonomous flights that's another ballgame.. Litchi would be my preference.

That's what I was after. Also is there a stronger connection with DJI Go even with less channels? Ultimate Flight gives you the same battery stats.
I just noticed that most, if not all the videos I watch for long range flights have used DJI go as the flight app.

That's what I was after. Also is there a stronger connection with DJI Go even with less channels? Ultimate Flight gives you the same battery stats.
I just noticed that most, if not all the videos I watch for long range flights have used DJI go as the flight app.
DJI Go app is the only one I've used and I've been out over 2 miles away with it, so very happy with that app.

I've used DJI ultimate flight app out to 2 miles and it was fine. Love the voice command updates it provides so I can focus on more important things with me eyes.

I started with DJI Go app and not too long ago upgraded to Litchi. I say upgrade because I like the features and the way it handles my bird. I use DJI Go mostly to test my bird and ensure all is working properly and litchi for most flights, planned and unplanned.

Reactions: Jtrjr
For all you long range flyers out there, which flight app do you use and why?
GJI GO
Litchi
Ultimate Flight
Autopilot
OTHER?
I have flown almost 180 LITCHI missions with my P3A and most recently P4. I fly almost every evening from the 3rd floor roof deck of my home overlooking the Intercostal Waterway. The sunsets are remarkable. There are vast expanses of marsh on my north and beach to my south...I never get bored with flying here and consequently fly a lot. I run Litchi missions because Litchi flys the bird smoothly at preset altitudes whilst I control the camera and the panning action. It's like having a professional pilot engaged. An intermittent loss of signal is no big deal as the bird keeps flying its prescribed Litchi mission.....no RTH drama....unless you hit the critical 10% low battery threshold...at which time it will probably just try to land. I am always conservative.....my max missions are 14 or less minutes at 30mph. I have had such good experience with Litchi that I have not been motivated to try anything else. I also own most of the other competing apps as well...have given each a cursory look, but never flown them. I am sure some of these other 3rd party products have superior photography capabilities, but for me, Litchi has more than enough capability to keep me engaged....and it has been reliable.....no surprises. Just make darn sure you double check all of your flight plans before setting off. It's easy to add an errant waypoint or negative altitude....either of which could spell CRASH.

Side Note: I routinely upload my Litchi missions to my P3/P4. Once the bird is on mission, I kill the Litchi App and switch over to DJI GO on my iPad. I do this mainly for individual battery cell stats. So, if you like the GO app, you can still use it while the mission is flown.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj