Predownload Maps or Map Cache?

Reaction score
I have been researching Tablets and might consider a non cellular connected tablet but have GPS. The GPS might be external like a Bad Elf GPS or internal like an IPAD Mini Cellular.

Since I am considering not being connected to a cellular network I have seen the concept of PreDownloading maps or Caching Maps if you will.

Can someone please explain how to Predownload a map for a area I plan to fly in? also How do you use the Predownloaded Map in the App?

TIA (thanks in advance)

Start up the app and enter camera mode. Enlarge the map view and pan to where you will be flying. Zoom in and out around the entire area you plane on flying. Go to location and fly.

Reactions: KRBImaging
If you have an Android device, you should do the above in the Google Maps app instead of the DJI GO app.

Reactions: Ariel@Hivemapper
I haven't bought a Tablet for my P3P yet. I was leaning toward the IPad Mini 4 Cellular as I already have an IPad Air and Iphone 6. Not an issue for me to go to an Android platform as I am not an Apple is all be all type. The reasons I am not using my Ipad air as my main screen is I find it just to big for the controller and it lacks GPS. But I was thinking also about buying a Bad Elf GPS adapter and buy a non-cellular Ipad Mini.

But I was thinking also about buying a Bad Elf GPS adapter and buy a non-cellular Ipad Mini.
If you're only planning on using the Bad Elf with your iPad Mini, then it would probably be best (less hassle) to get the cellular iPad Mini model instead since the price difference is about equal to getting the Wi-Fi only iPad Mini along with a GPS receiver. You don't have to activate the cell service on the iPad Mini in order to use the GPS.

Yea, I was thinking about getting the Mini Cellular since it has GPS in it already but with the Elf I can move it from one device to another if I wanted/needed to. Having just the mini GPS enabled would not allow for my larger Ipad Air to use GPS as well.

Having just the mini GPS enabled would not allow for my larger Ipad Air to use GPS as well.
Well, in that case, I think you know what to do :)

I tried caching the maps but it won't work a with Google Play services disabled. You need that running in order to view the cached maps.

Start up the app and enter camera mode. Enlarge the map view and pan to where you will be flying. Zoom in and out around the entire area you plane on flying. Go to location and fly.

I have used the cached Google maps and it works fine for a few times until one day when the map is no longer there and I have to re-cache on my non-cellular iPad. Is there a time-out on the maps?

I have used the cached Google maps and it works fine for a few times until one day when the map is no longer there and I have to re-cache on my non-cellular iPad. Is there a time-out on the maps?

Yes.. and Google is changing the way maps are cached. So if you ask me for how long a map is cached... I don't know. :)

Another option to consider is getting a pay-as-you-go SIM card from H2O. If you use it exclusively for getting maps while you fly, it might be worthwhile. I believe it's $10 for three months - I can't remember what the data limit is though. But apparently a lot of people are using it for their flytrex 3G.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair