Precision Landing - any info or video?

If it's just contrast it needs most people will have some kind of backpack with them anyway, maybe you could just mark a contrasting x on the back of it..and use the pack.

I don't think I would use a backpack. I want something flat. Maybe with a checkerboard pattern.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

with the carpet
and P3A
I just placed it and landed on it
I bet mavic will just land on where i placed it..
but so what if i have to move it 5 inches..

i was thinking another thing. since the Mavic doesn't have 4 legs. it's landed in the head tilt up and the back tilt down. now under the belly there are 4 sonar sensors. So what happened if you land on top of rock?[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85] i hope 3rd party comes out with extend skid pad.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

We have to think a lot when flying.

You are dealing with an expensive and technological advanced tool.

Plan your flight. That includes, taking off and landing

Even a phanton 4 can be severe damaged if landed on top of a rock.

Drone legs , are not enough to protect it under those circunstances.

My thoughts are that the wider leg stance will allow the mavic to land easier then a Phantom
And most of my take offs are from an area that is safer to land.

I had my Phantom tip over 2 different times when on touch down it just simply tipped over on asphalt

I have been flying quads from remote areas (mostly mountain and ridge tops) that are occasionally dusty/sandy. I just use some cloth held down on the corners by local rocks. The Mavic will be my first DJI drone so right now there is no pattern but I'll definitely go that way. This doesn't give me level surface but does keep blowing dust and debris away and is very light (which is why I use this rather than carpet). Every gram counts when you hike/climb for 8 to 14 hours.

FLiteTest (YouTube) did a test on the landing capability, however, while it didnt land exactly where it took off from (was a foot off) they tried it on top of a garbage can (4 feet off the ground) and even they said they needed to test it more. Too much left in the air (so to speak) on the functionality.

As to a landing pad, I am planning on using an old white/gray card that folds up tiny and will fit in my Mavic bag (when it gets here). I have something akin to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Whi...1475497655&sr=8-2&keywords=whitebalance cards

A foot off is pretty good.

Keep in mind that these guys freely admitted that they hadn't read the manual so who knows what it really can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Keep in mind that these guys freely admitted that they hadn't read the manual so who knows what it really can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There is no manual to read yet. Which bites, I wanna read it, memorize it, and want a DJI Go mode for testing (that doesn't rely on it being connected to a drone.)

My thoughts exactly. Would not have mattered if they were on the ground. Give/take a foot for an automated or return-to-home landing is pretty **** good.

I normally see about 3 feet but on Sunday got about 6 inches from point of takeoff. I use a landing pad but mostly to protect against the grass, so no idea about any VPS stabilisation (on the P4) versus an explicit feature as per Mavic specs.

If you guys are talking about the RC groups Mavic reviewers, over at the saus news site they Rc group reviewers say- On takes off, Mavic's 2 downward stereo cameras take a burst of photos, without you even knowing, to land accurately. For us, the 2 landings were within one inch of take of site.
- 24 minute flight time out of advertised 27 minute.
- Were blown away by build quality & materials.
-Mavics ob. avoidance, packed with features are next level above P-4

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
There is no manual to read yet. Which bites, I wanna read it, memorize it, and want a DJI Go mode for testing (that doesn't rely on it being connected to a drone.)

If you select Mavic in the DJI Go app, then go to the service/support screen and select owners manuals, there are a few there but nothing involved yet, just start-up guides, battery safety, stuff like that. But as soon as they come out with any more detailed manuals, that'll probably be the place to look.

As was mentioned earlier I'm not sure the landing accuracy test in the referenced video is relevant as from what I understand the unit must hover for a few seconds to establish a stereo video image of the landing site. They did hover a bit before moving but I don't think we really understand what the requirements are yet. There will probably need to be some more specific testing required to establish what the real capabilities are.

There is a good demo of precision landing in this video:

Go to 17 minutes if you want to skip the rest. But the whole thing is worth the watch, lot's of features covered in this one that you won't find in the other videos on youTube.

Really cool

There is a good demo of precision landing in this video:

Go to 17 minutes if you want to skip the rest. But the whole thing is worth the watch, lot's of features covered in this one that you won't find in the other videos on youTube.

This guy does really good review. Those Casey videos are completely worthless.

This guy does really good review. Those Casey videos are completely worthless.
Possibly not a bad review but it's level of criticality wont be known until someone with out a vested interest in selling them does a true impartial review...(don't forget to click his affiliated link to order your mavic ;) ) - at least it was not as biased as that tomstech time comparison of the typhoon H agains the P4...

Here is another review that tested Precision landing, although no video. They mention that the Mavic landed in 'exactly the same spot' (whatever that means) except one time with a worst case of a less than 1-foot error. I guess that implies all their other tests were even better than that.

"We also tested out the precise landing. Video is taken while taking off, and when you press and hold the return button, the drone flies to the preset height and returns to the take off location. It rotates until it's facing the same direction as it was for takeoff and slowly descends, landing in exactly the same spot it took off. Only once did it fail, and even then it was less than a foot away from its starting position."

DJI's latest consumer drone is its best yet. Here's why you'll want a Mavic Pro.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl