Precision Landing - any info or video?

Reaction score
So I really have a question that isn't related to the P4 or the Karma. Enough of that trash already. I want to know if anyone has seen the Mavic's precision landing work like they claim? I ask because I live in New Mexico every landing will be in dirt, sand or in close quarters. With the profile of the AC being so low to the ground and no legs to catch I'm constructing a landing pad. Would be really cool to hit return to home and see it land on the mat.

I can land it I'm just curious if there is any proof that this thing can really land within centimeters of its launch position.. I have yet to see anyone test it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

So I really have a question that isn't related to the P4 or the Karma. Enough of that trash already. I want to know if anyone has seen the Mavic's precision landing work like they claim? I ask because I live in New Mexico every landing will be in dirt, sand or in close quarters. With the profile of the AC being so low to the ground and no legs to catch I'm constructing a landing pad. Would be really cool to hit return to home and see it land on the mat.

I can land it I'm just curious if there is any proof that this thing can really land within centimeters of its launch position.. I have yet to see anyone test it.

Any pics of the landing pad design. I'm looking to buy one for my mavic

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Not yet. I'm going to build one or buy something that keeps it off the ground though. I don't think I want to try hand catching this one.

Reactions: Damager
I have a piece of carpet that I bring with me. I do beach launches and want to keep the sand off the gimbal area. 2'x2' and it works perfect, its heavy enough not to move due to water proof rubberized outdoor carpet.
Or you can do a catch launch/landing

Make sure your landing pad has some unique pattern on it and isn't just a flat color. The Mavic takes a photo on launch and tries to line it up upon landing, so giving it something to actually line up will give you the best results.

PGY Landing Pad for Drones

I bought one of them for about $27 including shipping from China. Pretty good material and I sprayed it with ScotchGuard which helps in shaking the dirt off it. If you can't hit it landing, you need practice as it's pretty big for a P4. Pops open, and folds down to maybe an 18" circle that goes into the supplied bag.

Wish it was gray and white though as I could use it to set white balance and color by pointing the camera down when coming in or taking off. Oh well...

[...]Wish it was gray and white though as I could use it to set white balance and color by pointing the camera down when coming in or taking off. Oh well...

Interesting idea. For the Mavic, an asymmetrical pattern that the cameras can orient to easily would be helpful, too. Print that grey and white and count me in

Last edited:
Interesting idea. For the Mavic, an asymmetrical pattern that the cameras can orient to easily would be helpful, too. Print that grey and white and count me in

I thought of that too since the P4 uses a checkerboard in Assist 2 for the underbelly camera calibration. Checkerboard black and white "H" with an 18% gray outer border for exposure? Any silkscreeners here?

Make sure your landing pad has some unique pattern on it and isn't just a flat color. The Mavic takes a photo on launch and tries to line it up upon landing, so giving it something to actually line up will give you the best results.
Can anyone confirm this?

Can anyone confirm this?
Confirm what, that the Mavic takes a picture on launch? It's been discussed several times here, but: Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads (Under 'Vision' -> 4. Conditions required for Precision Landing)

Interesting, I like the rubberized carpet/mat idea. Still, have any of the early reviews verified the accuracy of the precision landing. Or is this just another gimmick that in real conditions does not work.

Still, have any of the early reviews verified the accuracy of the precision landing.
Out of every video I've seen, only one has specifically tested the precision landing. It admittedly didn't do so hot compared to the claims, but it was still more accurate (on a single pass) than either of my Phantoms.

Hope to see more tests this week as adver-users get more familiar with it and explore those capabilities.

They did it wrong. DJI states that the first few moments of ascension should be slow so that the Mavic can take adequate pictures of the landing spot. Those guys gunned the takeoff.
I wouldn't have called that gunning it, and they did hold position at about 10m, it would be interesting to see it working though, I wonder how slow for how long?

Interesting, I like the rubberized carpet/mat idea. Still, have any of the early reviews verified the accuracy of the precision landing. Or is this just another gimmick that in real conditions does not work.

If it's just contrast it needs most people will have some kind of backpack with them anyway, maybe you could just mark a contrasting x on the back of it..and use the pack.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers