Pre Flight Safety ADVICE

Reaction score
For those that are interested, this is my personal pre-flight advice. I’ve put it in several posts throughout the forums, and a small percentage of the feedback I received (shut up, naysayer, etc) was disappointing. I will restrict further comments regarding safe flying to this post.

1. Check the FAA website for TFR’s (temporary flight restrictions) and NOTAM’s (notice to airmen). http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/index.html Call 1-800-WX-BRIEF if you are unsure.
2. Ensure you perform a thorough pre-flight of your multi-rotor
• Propeller inspection
• Engine inspection
• Control inspection
3. Preflight the area you will be flying in. Look for obstacles, people, other aircraft, etc.
4. If possible, monitor and communicate on UNICOM 120.700, 120.725, 120.750 and MULTICOM 123.000 and 120.025.
5. Establish connection and telemetry to/from multi-rotor.
6. Check for GPS acquisition and Home Lock set before starting engines
7. Run up engines. Hover at 5 feet and check stability and control.
8. Maintain visual contact (line of site - LOS). Maintain altitude below 400 feet, per the FAA Advisory (not a law).
• There is no current law that restricts you from flying FPV (without LOS). Use a spotter as a precaution
• There is no current law that restricts you from flying out of visual range, but there is an FAA Advisory that does advises to always maintain line of sight operations. Grey area.

I use skyvector.com on my desktop before heading out to any of my normal practice fields or client locations to look for current flight restrictions. I'd love it if there were an app I could use in the field but haven't found it. Does anyone else have an app that would give info similar to skyvector.com?

Here's my Flight Checklist. I'd be interested in suggestions/comments!

Phantom 2 Vision +

Pre-flight Check
Check condition of all 4 props
Check motors turn freely

Start Sequence
(Do a compass cal if necessary. NOT EVERY TIME! Just when in a MUCH different location)

Check/install Micro SD Card

Install flight battery

Remove camera lens cover and gimbal clamp

P2V+ on ground facing forward (battery facing you)

S1 and S2 in the topmost positions

Power on the Controller first

Power on P2V+ by pressing, releasing, press & hold 2 sec on P2V+ flight battery. Verify charge.

NOW WATCH THE FLIGHT LEDs at rear of P2V+ (small mirror on ground helps you see LEDs)

Slow flashing yellow while acquiring satellites.
WAIT FOR fast flashing green indicating >= 6 satellites. Do not fly without 6 satellites!
WAIT FOR slow flashing green = home position stored, ready to fly. Do not fly without home position stored!
Rapid switching (5) of S2 from position 1 to 3. You will know it got another home position because the lights will flash rapid green then return to slow green.)

Power on Range Extender last. Flashing green System = On/Good.

Find Phantom WiFi on iPad in Settings

Open DJI App on iPad and verify wifi link

Start video recording if desired

Perform the CSC to start motors, and take off quickly to hover position to avoid dust.

Flight Basics

Turn Craft with left stick and always fly Red first

Shutdown Sequence

Perform CSC to stop motors

End video record (video won't play if you don't)

Power off Flight Battery

Power off Range Extender

Power of Tx

Turn off iPad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen