Pre-built from quadcopter.co.uk?

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a DJI phantom 2 to stick my Hero4 on. I want to kit it all out with FPV gear and, especially with the various wire kits which avoid the soldering, I'm sure I'd be perfectly capable of doing this myself.

I however saw that you can get "professionally installed" kits here http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phantom-2-fpv-edition-with-zenmuse-h4-3d-gimbal-1709-p.asp and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and what the assembly quality etc was like.

Thanks

I ordered one of these from quadcopters.co.uk a few weeks ago and I have to say I thought they were excellent. The Phantom came with everything set up and installed. The H4-3D, FPV and also MiniOSD. The install looked really well done and worked straight out of the box.

They have been extremely helpful at every step of the way.

I would also highly recommend them. I did a 360 mile round trip for an hours tuition there and was probably the best £60 I've ever spent.
They're clearly very professional and extremely knowledgable and would recommend the tuition to any newbie before taking to the skies

I bought all my stuff from them when prices were reduced in Feb. I went with their FPV bundle but opted to build myself. I also bought all the pieces seperate too, as it was cheaper than just selecting the build it yourself bundle from that page. (I have the h3-3d, was still cheaper adding pieces seperatly for me).

While I have no comments about how well they build them, I will say you might want to research the parts they offer in the bundle. It was only after I bought it all and built it I joined here and kept reading about the problems people have with the Black Pearl monitor (it's a 32 channel one they sell) and the immersionrc 600 TX. I get a pretty dreadful picture on mine, even when it's close by. I've tried various channels etc, but still only have the stock antennas. This is what most people seem to say. Even Black Pearl themselves say (on their site, I'm on my phone else I'd link you) the 7ch monitor is the one you should get if you're planning to use the IRC 600.

Some people seem to get on just fine, but most people seem to say try and avoid that combo.

In short, make sure you research all the parts before making your decision.

Looking at the h4-3d combo page, they also have an option for a 25mw TX now (they didn't when I bought mine). I have no experience or idea what the difference is so can't say you should get that one instead. Other than its actually legal in the UK and the 600 isn't. I don't know how it would affect range etc.

Found the link I was referring to now.

http://www.rangevideo.com/lcd-scree...-fpv-diversity-rx-58ghz-32ch-slim-design.html

The RP-SMA version is 32 channels and works best with Flysight 5.8GHz transmitters either the 400mW or 1200mW will work great.

The SMA version is 7 channels (BAND F only) specifically designed to have best performance on Fatshark/ImmersionRC frequencies'

-----

Can I use Immersion RC / Fatshark video transmitters with the 32 channel RP-SMA BlackPearl?

YES ! You can, but the performance (range) will not be as good as with the dedicated 7 channel SMA Black Pearl.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I'd heard about the problem with the 32-bit screen but didn't realise that's the one they provided in this package. Good to know. I've been looking at ordering it all separately.

Would people still recommend the combination of equipment in that package then? And is this the right cable I need to be able to just plug it all in with my gopro:
https://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables/iosd-mini-gopro-transmitter-cable

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.

I'd heard about the problem with the 32-bit screen but didn't realise that's the one they provided in this package. Good to know. I've been looking at ordering it all separately.

Would people still recommend the combination of equipment in that package then? And is this the right cable I need to be able to just plug it all in with my gopro:
https://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables/iosd-mini-gopro-transmitter-cable

Thanks again.

I think most people seem to go for the IRC 600, so if you're thinking about that one then yes, it should be a good combo, as long as you get the right screen.

If you're now also thinking about getting the parts separate, you can make sure you match it up with the 7ch monitor instead of the 32ch. Firstpersonview sell that one (only place i could find in the UK)- https://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/screens/black-pearl-7-channel-monitor
I actually bought one myself from them on Saturday, and some new antenna, so I'll be selling the 32 when it arrives.

That's the correct cable as well, if you're wanting to put the Mini iOSD in there too, which you should.

Building it all yourself isn't that hard, and it's good to know what's under the hood and see where things go in case you have to repair or replace anything later. There's loads of really good guides around.
Just make sure you have the correct size screwdrivers, as the one's on the end of the arms are brittle and the supplied screwdriver isn't a perfect fit. It'll work, but I managed to strip mine and had to order spares delaying my first flight by a week or so.

BUT WAIT!

There's a DJI event in a few days, you might want to wait a little bit longer to see what they release before making a decision on all of this. It might just be better. :)

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure I get the 7ch screen.

I was certainly planning on getting an iOSD. I built my first computer when I was around 10 so I should be alright plugging everything in. Just wanted to avoid soldering tbh. I had the same thought as you though; that it would be good to get to know how it all works a bit.

I'll wait for the event incase it lowers the price of the phantom 2 :) Thanks for the heads up. Do you know off the top of your head a good place to see what comes out of it?

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure I get the 7ch screen.

I was certainly planning on getting an iOSD. I built my first computer when I was around 10 so I should be alright plugging everything in. Just wanted to avoid soldering tbh. I had the same thought as you though; that it would be good to get to know how it all works a bit.

I'll wait for the event incase it lowers the price of the phantom 2 :) Thanks for the heads up. Do you know off the top of your head a good place to see what comes out of it?

They're going to be live streaming the event itself, not sure on a URL though. Probably their YouTube channel.

And as for a round up and discussions about what they release, here is probably your best bet too :)

Thanks for the heads-up. Big dodge there =)

The P3 and now the 3DR Solo as well have definitely given more to consider.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj