Practice in ATTI mode

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed. The search function for this forum is not very intuitive.

Any tips on practicing in ATTI mode? Had my Pro slip into ATTI mode recently. Want to practice in ATTI and RTH.

Find a nice open space, and a bit of a breezy (but not windy) day.
Start with the phantom facing away from you, in ATTI mode.
  1. Take off and try to hover at around 4 feet high, keeping the phantom in the same location as best as you can. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  2. Repeat with the phantom facing left, 4' high and in the same location. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  3. Repeat with the phantom facing right, 4' high and in the same location. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  4. Repeat with the phantom facing towards you, 4' high and in the same location. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  5. Take some flour and mark a couple of 5' diameter circles, 20-30' apart.
  6. With the phantom facing away from you, take off from the first circle to an altitude of 4' and fly to and land in the second circle. Perform this maneuver several times until you are comfortable, keeping the aircraft pointed away from you.
  7. Now repeat step 6 with the aircraft facing left, then right, and finally toward you, until each of these moves are comfortable.
  8. Fly the aircraft away from you 20-50 feet, then bring it back to land next to you, without rotating the aircraft. do this until it is comfortable.
  9. Repeat step 8 with the aircraft in various orientations, including point directly at you.
  10. Repeat step 8 while changing the orientation of the aircraft in-flight. (e.g. Fly away front-first, but fly back with the nose pointed left) Get comfortable.
  11. Start increasing your altitude and the distance between your circles, and do steps 5-10 all over again.
This (or pretty close to this) is how I got comfortable with it.

Last edited:
What is ATTI mode, no gps ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Find a nice open space, and a bit of a breezy (but not windy) day.
Start with the phantom facing away from you, in P-ATTI mode.
  1. Take off and try to hover at around 4 feet high, keeping the phantom in the same location as best as you can. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  2. Repeat with the phantom facing left, 4' high and in the same location. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  3. Repeat with the phantom facing right, 4' high and in the same location. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  4. Repeat with the phantom facing towards you, 4' high and in the same location. Do this until you are comfortable, but at least 5 minutes.
  5. Take some flour and mark a couple of 5' diameter circles, 20-30' apart.
  6. With the phantom facing away from you, take off from the first circle to an altitude of 4' and fly to and land in the second circle. Perform this maneuver several times until you are comfortable, keeping the aircraft pointed away from you.
  7. Now repeat step 6 with the aircraft facing left, then right, and finally toward you, until each of these moves are comfortable.
  8. Fly the aircraft away from you 20-50 feet, then bring it back to land next to you, without rotating the aircraft. do this until it is comfortable.
  9. Repeat step 8 with the aircraft in various orientations, including point directly at you.
  10. Repeat step 8 while changing the orientation of the aircraft in-flight. (e.g. Fly away front-first, but fly back with the nose pointed left) Get comfortable.
  11. Start increasing your altitude and the distance between your circles, and do steps 5-10 all over again.
This (or pretty close to this) is how I got comfortable with it.
Good approach. My question: I bought a syma X8C as a way to familiarize myself with my now ordered P3A. I believe the P3A will maintain constant altitude in ATTI mode, correct? If so, and I am able to handle the X8C like this, I should be good to go with the P3A?

Good approach. My question: I bought a syma X8C as a way to familiarize myself with my now ordered P3A. I believe the P3A will maintain constant altitude in ATTI mode, correct? If so, and I am able to handle the X8C like this, I should be good to go with the P3A?

I think they are a little different or at least I fly them different. I had a syma with camera I would push it pretty hard and do more tricks.

Since not trying to do flips or any trick flying on a P3 I think it might be easier. Also a lot more quality. My only crash with my syma was when the thumb stick broke off... it was not a great landing but I made it.

I think you will be pretty happy with it. I am still pretty new P3P owner and am waiting for rain to dry so I feel a little more comfortable to try more.

I think they are a little different or at least I fly them different. I had a syma with camera I would push it pretty hard and do more tricks.

Since not trying to do flips or any trick flying on a P3 I think it might be easier. Also a lot more quality. My only crash with my syma was when the thumb stick broke off... it was not a great landing but I made it.

I think you will be pretty happy with it. I am still pretty new P3P owner and am waiting for rain to dry so I feel a little more comfortable to try more.
I feel like I am doing considerable research and prep to minimize the risk. I would also think that the P3A would handle better, of course. I have had two other small quads, one Hubsan X4 and some micro thing but I lost those both (granted my fault). The micro one was taking it outside and just messing around with it too much, going too far so you can't really see it, and then having it go in a neighbors vineyard. The Hubsan, similar story, messing around in a much to windy day (knowing this but also not caring if I lost it and not posing a risk for anyone), took it over a pond, lost orientation and was fighting the wind to try to get it back but lost it to the pond when the battery died. Both of those are things that won't happen with my new bird and also I would not have risked if I wasn't trying to pretty much loose the bird.

What is ATTI mode, no gps ?
i-cc3dZfs-L.jpg

I believe the P3A will maintain constant altitude in ATTI mode, correct? If so, and I am able to handle the X8C like this, I should be good to go with the P3A?
The P3 is packed with sensors and clever programming that make it much easier to handle than any of the cheaper trainer drones.

Reactions: SergeantJoKer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20