Practical Uses

___

Reaction score
I am looking to justify the expense (you can guess to whom) and was hoping to reach out to you guys and gals on possible and practical uses for a camera mounted drone. I am eying a PV2+.

I live in a somewhat rural small tourists town (pop. ~18,000) near a river, with active train traffic.

Suggest away!

Thanks,

Sean

fun!

and aerial video, thats all.

Tell her you need to inspect the roof before the winter storms and it is to dangerous to climb up there. Fortunately in my situation justification isn't required. Nor does she have to justify her qty of shoes, purses, jewelry, clothes etc.... If we did I think I would loose the battle. My P2 is one of my least expensive hobbies. :D

I've had a few people willng to pay for aerial shots of their property. Also I seen something in the paper about drones getting popular with agricultural work which could also get you some extra cash. I've even talked to a few people around my area that said it would be great to find hunting spots as well and I'm sure you could also profit off of that idea too. However, with the FAA watching us at the moment, I'd try to be careful with using your phantom for profit. However, I personally enjoy flying it just because it's simply fun to fly, and captures pictures and video from an angle that's just facinating to me. Granted, this hobby simply isn't for everyone, but I highly encourage you to give it a try anyways. I'm 96.3333334% sure you'll absolutely love it!

I have a P2V ( not plus )
I do agree ( if this is your first quad ) P2V+ might be too fragile for you?
1 decent wreck you loose your $700 gimbal! Just a thought!
( you could remove camera / gimbal ) learn to fly then reattach when comfortable
With your flying skills!
The
P2V+ ( 5.8GHz transmitter, 2.4 GHz Wifi )
A bit fragile, but GORGEOUS PICTURES! 3 axis gimbal
( up/down, side/side, and roll ) shots are still. You can change
Modes, to get a superman flying kind of effect in video.

P2V: ( 5.8 GHz transmitter, 2.4 GHz wifi )
( tough in a crash )
Is very tough, but only has only 1 axis camera ( up/down ) uses phantom as ( side/side ) motion
You get a superman flying kind of effect in video.

P2 w ( HD-2d gimbal ) 2.4 GHz transmitter, 5.8 GHz FPV
( fragile in a crash )
Requires go-pro camera, and FPV setup.
( 2 axis gimbal ) up/down, and roll, uses phantom as ( side/side motion )
Good quality smoothness of video good still shots.

P2 w ( HD-3d gimbal ) 2.4 GHz transmitter, 5.8 GHz FPV
( fragile in a crash )
Requires go-pro camera , and FPV setup.
( 3axis gimbal ) same as + very smooth video very still image.

I use mine to video family gatherings/parties. I also tape my sons baseball games from above,
As well as front yard basketball games with neighborhood kids!
I also inspect my roof gutters ( for debris ) as well as my roof shingles!
I have even run off a raccoon from my trash with it ( lol ).
Most of all it is GREAT for vacation footage, and just PLAIN FUN to fly!

No matter what model you choose, I think you will be VERY HAPPY!
I'm saving up for a plus right now, but I have over 300 flights now,
With only 1 hard landing ( my fault ). So I think I'm a good enough
Pilot to move to the + ( I was only wanting to fly for fun in the beginning,
But now I'm getting in to photography, and videography! So I think the +,
Will meet my needs better than the vision, but I do still LOVE my vision!
And will continue to fly it, regardless! I'll use the plus, to film events, or things I
Want to edit or post! I live in sunny Sarasota, Florida! We have white beaches,
Orange groves, cow fields, watermelon groves, and tons of rural areas, oceans, and lakes!
Only things we don't have, are mountains, and snow!
But that is what vAcations are for! Lol!

Good luck my friend, hope to see you here soon as a fellow pilot!

Ps: get at least 1 extra battery, and prop guards! You will want them!
Also place your phone number on Tx , and phantom ( if lost )
And finally ( a mobile tracking device ) in case of fly-a-way, or distant crash )
Like a GLOBAL TRACKER TK-102b.

Take care, Fly safe!

I recreate historic photos. Some of these were taken from structures that are no longer present. A quad is the most economical method to get a camera into the same position when the 7-story building is gone and there's now a parking lot.

Excellent. Is it easy to remove the gimbal and camera on the vision plus? If so, that is an excellent suggestion!

___ said:
Excellent. Is it easy to remove the gimbal and camera on the vision plus? If so, that is an excellent suggestion!

LOL...Was thinking of exactly the same idea as I understand the Gimbal really was the most fragile part of the whole deal if it crashes?.....any expert with answer to this?....thanks :)

It makes a great (but expensive) fan for hot days :) If you do use it to cool off your SO (sig other), just be careful not to aim it at them and let go or the medical bills might be 5x the cost of the Quad. LMAO.

All kidding aside, until you can legitimately earn money for using it, there's not really any justification for it other than it's fun as hell. With that said, with my experience - oddly enough, women tended to want to see it and were impressed by it than men. Some of the guys minds immediately went dark and were talking about how you could spy on people or harass them and I would end up shaking my head thinking dude - go sit down and have another beer.

He or she might be just impressed with the ability to just see the vistas you can't from the ground an then the still photo/video product you get from it is pretty sweet. That may be enough to get your foot in the door and then you tell them, at some point sooner or later, the FAA will allow commercial use and you'll be trained up by then - ready to go.

As far as worries about crashes with the P2V+ and destroying gimbal a simple answer is don't crash :) You actually can avoid most hard landings by learning the behaviors of the quad. In the air above 15-20 feet you generally don't have any issues with the Phantom being bounced around - but it realistically is 4 pretty powerful fans pushing some serious air to get lift and maneuver. Once it gets close to the ground all the rotor wash is going to make it a flying ping pong ball when you get down to 5-10 ft. Lower the Phantom slowly and let it settle itself down before you land it. That cut about 95% of all landing fails and flips. Just be gentle on your landings - let the Phantom blow out the cushion of air underneath it before landing AND if all else fails - throttle up - get some altitude and try again. Unless you ran your Phantom battery to the bone, you still have a few minutes juice left.

And a legit alternative if you're having troubles and thinking you're going to faceplant your Phantom is lower it to just above head level - walk up and grab the skid - hold it tight and then use the RC to shut the motors down. Works like a charm.

ProfessorStein said:
Really... the only thing I had to tell my wife was "it sure beats a psychiatrist".

:lol:

Hello,
YES, you CAN remove camera/gimbal from your P2V+,
And learn to fly without it attatched!

I borrowed this post from a friend!
His post is a big help!
( DDMSTEVE ) thank Steve, not me!
Here is his post:

Hi guys,

Thought I would try to contribute to this forum. We are expecting delivery of the P2V+ Camera Assemblies this week and have had numerous people asking how to remove and replace the camera assembly. Below is a step by step guide with photos on how to do this. If you have any more questions just ask.

• Use some diagonal cutters to "snip" the anti drop disc on the REAR
  • Snip off the tip of the FRONT anti drop pin
  • Gently remove the silicone dampeners from the camera assembly top.
  • Remove the three ribbon cable connectors. The small one on the side needs to have the little tab "pinched" for removal. The front two just need a gentle tug.
  • New anti drop pins/discs are in your spare parts bag. You will only need one of each
  • You will need to bind the camera to the Phantom through the DJI app (this is in the manual)

mTL9hXx.jpg

kqpxqVe.jpg

iZqDdPd.jpg

cjUENso.jpg

Hope this helps!
Take care, fly safe!

I'm being asked more and more to take photos. Today for instance a farmers asked me to look for Black grass weeds in a wheat crop. Sure does offset the cost of quads and gopros ;)

Attachments

• 104-001.JPG
    104-001.JPG
    729.1 KB · Views: 466

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers