Powerlines - how close is too close?

Reaction score
I read over and over don't fly near powerlines and especially don't calibrate your compass near powerlines.
How close is too close? This theory is way too vague for me. In the typical city there are powerlines everywhere. I am talking about the "standard" ones not the mega huge high voltage ones.
Please give me some rules of thumb! After loosing my first Phantom within 2 weeks of buying it I plan to be extra cautious in the future.

Nice flight GSSP! Russianfront I too have the same fear as you. The dreaded "flyaway" is not an exact science (sadly) so many flyaways may or may not have been because of powerlines. I have noticed on youtube several flyaways where the ground stations (homepoint) were near power lines. I don't think anyone will have a definitive answer, if so I would love to be corrected. I personally will not risk it at this time until data exists that supports one way or the other.

No-one will be able to specify an exact distance that is/isn't safe.
There are way too many variables - particularly the voltage and current in the lines in question..
But the safe distances for radio interference that are likely to be much less than you are imagining.

If you see sparks, a small explosion.... You were too close.... Just making a joke, Merry XMAS.

It's not a matter of all power lines. It's a matter of a power line that has somehow degraded shielding for one reason or another. You can fly within a few feet of most power lines. On the other hand, if there is some old powerlines, there are videos of someone getting signal problems when they are literally 100+ feet away, with nothing else around, either. Just some old power lines.

Correct, powerlines do not have shielding. They are bare. And I too have a very large main distribution set running behind our place. Flown within about 20-30 ft no problems.

witold said:
It's not a matter of all power lines. It's a matter of a power line that has somehow degraded shielding for one reason or another. You can fly within a few feet of most power lines. On the other hand, if there is some old powerlines, there are videos of someone getting signal problems when they are literally 100+ feet away, with nothing else around, either. Just some old power lines.
The high voltage transmission lines are bare. Insulation would do them no good and just add weight. The house drops are insulated to protect the homeowner from hitting it with a ladder or some tools. But wire insulation doesn't shield anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl