Powering the P2V from a power supply

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a P2V, and I am interested in powering it with a variable voltage power supply. Can someone give any insight towards either direct wiring the P2V, or bypassing the LiPo balancing board to provide signal to the quad to accept input voltage from a regulated supply?
Please help.

You need to do so in tandem with the interface atop the battery. Without proper comm from the battery the unit won't operate. I've never done it and maybe someone else has but I wanted you to understand at least one obstacle you'll need to consider.

Well, I have one disassembled battery with the control board detached to easily input power to the board that will still connect to the quad...just to help

Ok. Not clear... do you see the comm pins separate from the battery supply contacts?

Yeah, I know about the comm pins. I'm not sure how to convince the P2V that the power supply is 'a fully charged battery'

4.2 per cell is max. X3=12.6 vdc
Use 12.4 and you'll be fine.

But the comm input needs a pulsed signal to tell the main board that the last charge was sufficient. It isn't just a voltage signal

You're not understanding me. You supply 12.4 to battery input terminals to simulate battery. The circuit board atop the battery must be in place to comm with the imbedded processor.
No way to operate without 'intelligent board' in place.

No, I understand, but supplying 12.6 VDC to the input, and dividing voltage to the balancing lines does not provide adequate signal to reference the previous charge of the battery (which the board reads)

Have you powered the P2V by a power supply before?

So what you need to understand about what I know and what I have done. I have taken the intelligent battery system off of the cells, and have the comm pins direct wired to the phantom. I have attempted to input 12V to the phantom input and output, and I have also tried to connect the smart battery system to the phantom and input 12V through there. Well, the funny thing is, unless the board reads 3.7V from between each of the LiPo cells, it will not close the circuit to ground allowing appropriate communication between LiPo board and main control board. SO I attempted to supply 12V to the input, and 4V to each of the balancing lines, this still does not work. I understand that there is a 3.3V Digital IO signal being sent between the two PCBs so until the smart battery board realizes that the charge is sufficient, and balanced, it will not receive signal from the phantom to allow operation beyond startup procedures. The real problem is that the battery board stores information on each and every battery charging cycle, and stores it as a previously available mAh value. So applying input power to a board that doesn't demand a certain current draw, but instead reads a currently available current to be utilized removes any ability to power with an external (non-LiPo) supply unless someone can hack the firmware andf then never accept DJI updates.

With that being said, if anyone can still help, correct me, or has insight feel free to comment and see where we go from here. All I want to do is have my phantom 2 powered overhead for extended eriods of time constantly checking on currently pregnant animals, and batteries are not going to give me hours of runs time, and I want to run the phantom nearly all night long tethered in one spot with my panasonic 360 camera system attached. (I dont need help with running that, its golden and I already figured that out on my own.

I'm no expert

Ive seen battery mods where another battery is connected to the existing battery to give extra flight time

Can't you do similar and instead of a battery run your power lead thus recharging the battery in flight ?

Just what I was thinking- send 12 VDC up a cable to the + and - terminals of the birds' battery. The bird doesn't know where the power is coming from- battery or cable.
Either that, or use a helium balloon! :)

Edit*#$&%
this post is Old (sorry I'm new to this site Hello)
couldn't you have the battery portion legit but sneak the wired 12.6V around/bypass batt to main board or even individual esc
found this but swap the extender batteries for your own power supply leads
I did a very simple mod to my P2v+ that Dirty Bum shown me. You don't have to mess with the stock battery. You just solder the leads to the main board with the 2 leads connect. do it to the main board not the other end. run the leads down one of the legs and you have it. I mounted a piece of plastic to strap the battery too. the battery in the picture is a 2700mah. and if you what make a y connector for two batteries.
View attachment 64439
View attachment 64440

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers