Powering a GoPro

Reaction score
A few novice questions before I take my Hero 3+ flying for the first time tomorrow.

I'm not running any kind of FPV system at the moment, so is it necessary to attach Phantom 2 power to the camera as long as the camera battery is fully charged?

Conversely, if I supply Phantom 2 power to the camera, can I remove the GoPro battery? I realize this one might not fly due to balance issues (but it would be good for reducing weight).

Installed the gimbal and camera last night after a week of getting the hang of flying this super sized insect. I suppose the flight characteristics will be a bit different considering the added weight.

Bill

If you don't need the live video feed from the camera and the battery is adequately charged then you do not need to connect the gimbal cable to the camera.

However, you will still need to leave the battery in even if the cable is connected. Both because of balance reasons, and because the gopro won't power on without a battery inside, even when connected to a charging circuit.

Generally the Phantom is pretty good at compensating for the balance of the gimbal mounting once in flight, but you'll want to be prepared to give it a little more punch at take off to overcome the extra weight as well as to counter any inclination to tip forward before the NAZA in the Phantom gets itself adjusted. Once you're in the air and hovering in GPS mode it'll behave pretty much like you're used to, just don't be too delicate with the throttle when lifting off.

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply! Will goose her a little extra at lift-off tomorrow for the camera's maiden flight and will forgo plugging the gimbal to the camera. Once comfortable flying this configuration I'll likely migrate to an FPV system of some sort.

Took quite a while to find and digest all the information required for proper set-up, which was scattered all over the ether, but think I've got a solid build. Mounted the interference board internally (time consuming, but easy thanks to YouTube), used cable ties instead of plastic posts to secure the mounting bracket (not tight) and secured the camera to the back-plate with rubber bands for easy removal. I will recalibrate the compass before first flight because of the hardware changes.

Plan to shoot 2.7k medium view (not Protunes mode as of now) and see what I get. Talking with other video professionals, that seems to be the sweet spot. Hopefully I get butter and no jello. And no crashes, of course :) .

Right, Protunes for important work but tomorrow is just a down and dirty test flight. I do appreciate your input and may experiment with it in a few days.

Hey OI Photography, I'm only 125 miles from you (as the Phantom flies).

If I'm shooting outdoor subjects for clients I'll use 2.7k Med, 30 or 24p, with protune on, to give a better starting point for post-production work. But when it's just for fun or whatever then 1080p Med 60fps is what I usually use. If you haven't looked at an ND filter yet you might want to consider that as well. Ragecams and PolarPro both make small lightweight models for the gopro that many are using with their gimbals (some counterbalancing may be required).

beeline said:
Hey OI Photography, I'm only 125 miles from you (as the Phantom flies).

So about 25 batteries worth :D What direction are you in from where I sit?

Thanks, OI Photography. Yes, 2.7k is the ticket. So many pixels to choose from.

I like the fact that the RageCams ND filter is so light. The Polar Pro filter looks to be of better quality, but a bit heavier. Also, would the larger size of the Polar Pro have issues bumping into the Plantom frame (it appears to extend beyond the top of the GoPro)?

First video flight went well today. Shot 1080 60p. Got a bit of prop/prop shadow in some shots but overall, some gorgeous footage. 2.5 minutes of usable footage out of 30 minutes worth is not a very good shooting ratio but would be more than enough peppered into an average production. I can see how FPV (and a lot of practice) would be of great benefit. When the Phantom got a distance away it was very difficult to determine orientation, however, I got minimal jello and very stable video, so I'm happy.

What direction are you in from where I sit?

I am south-southeast of you, in Huntsville, AL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik