Power plant no-fly zone?

Reaction score
I live a few miles from the FirstEnergy nuclear plant in Shippingport PA. Is there a no fly zone for such places? I obviously don't want to fly over a reactor or cooling tower, not even sure I want to fly anywhere near it, just curious.

I applaud you for asking and while I can't point to any specific document, flying over critical infrastructure is not something I'd ever consider.

We have a friend who has a farm that overlooks it from perhaps a mile away, maybe a bit more. I'd like to take some perspective pics, but just not sure if I'm pushing it.

When it comes to nuclear plants, local LEO's have been known to make up their own laws as they go. Back in 2012, a glider pilot was ordered to land by local law enforcement (they have no authority to do that) and then arrested because he flew his glider over a nearby power plant even though had not violated any FAA regulation in doing so.

Link: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/January/10/Secret-no-fly-zone

Its a roll of the dice if ever there was one. If you're far enough away, chances are no one will ever know you're there. But if the wrong person sees your bird, you might get to have a conversation with local LEO's at best or get to see the inside of their jail at worst. I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: SteveMann
http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Steve Mann posted this in another thread. Nuclear powerplants are mentioned in the section Some Exceptions to the Rule.

The U.S. Department of Energy can also prohibit photography of designated nuclear facilities although the publicly visible areas of nuclear facilities are usually not designated as such.​

FDC 4/0811 SPECIAL NOTICE
THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF A PREVIOUSLY ISSUED ADVISORY NOTICE.
IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN PROXIMITY TO SUCH SITES AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR FACILITIES. PILOTS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES.
WIE UNTIL UFN

A couple keywords to note in the above "notice/NOTAM" . .
"are strongly advised" . . "in proximity" . . . "circle as to loiter"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj