Power lines

Reaction score
one of the reasons I purchased my p2v was to survey sections of woods from above to find old homesites/spots to metal detect. There is a stretch of woods by my house I really want to hit. But it is fringed by power lines. If I take it up high enough do you guys think I would be OK? There is no other angle to approach these woods to avoid crossing the power lines. Any tips or opinions would appreciated.
Thanks
Luke

I have flown about four metres directly beneath power lines at the front of my house with no interference. These are not high tension lines however like the ones you are likely talking about.

Here is a photo of the proposed launch point

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 581
I am flying/launching from the circular culdasac on the right....the woods I want to explore are on the right.....you can see the power lines in my path to the woods......

Attachments

• unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 563
Ok. Looks like you are on the third driveway around(going clockwise) I think I can see you standing on the edge of your driveway. Anyway by my estimate you are about 60meters from those lines where your house is? If so and you are flying with out incident I would add 60 metres to the top height of those wires for your base altitude to clear them without interferance.

you are correct....if you look real close you can see my ham radio beam antenna in the back yard...up at 80ft in the air. If I could somehow place a wifi extender at the top...that would be cool! Once I clear the power lines its smooth sailing from there.
Luke

Doesn't hurt to be cautious. Most people are aware that if you walk under these lines with a hand held compass that you will see a deviation. An electronic one is no different. I would rather be safe with my $500 flying around. Just saying.

I miss judged distance today flying over a small pond with big power lines crossing diagonally. I saw them and let the sticks go and pushed power up to get clearance. When I downloaded my video, to much my surprise I flew between them then up and then backwards over the top of them. Thank goodness there was no frequency interference, I did loose visual on my FPV which locked up. Landed and restarted everything and flew two batteries down till the alarm went off. I will post the video later after Vimeo downloads it. Keep it flyin!

eculuke said:
you are correct....if you look real close you can see my ham radio beam antenna in the back yard...up at 80ft in the air.

AB7FH here. :mrgreen:

Timely conversation. This was posted recently on another forum discussing a similar subject (magnetic field interference of compass with battery placement):

http://vimeo.com/29519728

I'm sure there are hundreds of differences between high power lines and DC batteries that are well beyond me, but it certainly looks like a wide range of effects is possible depending on distance, orientation, alignment of lines, etc. It definitely seems possible for some people to have no problems repeatedly, and for others to have experienced very noticeable effects.

In such a case, I have no idea if a "safe distance" is a few inches or a few hundred feet, but there's nothing I need to do that requires me to fly anywhere near high power lines, so I just happily avoid them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20