Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Power Lines

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by StephenS, Sep 3, 2014.

1. StephenS

Just got my Phantom 2 Vision Plus had successful flights in open fields. I was curious how far away I should be from power lines in order to fly it? Or even how far away I should be before I start to the calibration?
    Thank you,
    Stephen

2. skyhighdiver

I have posted my video before flying for CITY blocks 2 ft or less above high voltage lines and not like the ones that feed your house but high voltage distribution lines and they have no effect at all.
    I fly out of my yard and over these to a open field on many flights and never seen a glitch.
    The only danger they pose it running into them.

3. GerryG

I do a lot of real estate photography and thus has spun up next to all different types of power lines. "Knock on wood" – so far I have not experienced any difficulties with power lines or wireless phone towers. Good luck.

4. StephenS

Thank you I have a bit more courage now.
    Stephen

5. N017RW

I live 1000ft from a cell tower and have flown Spektrum and Futaba 2.4G systems for years near, around, by, and behind it with never any problem(s). Can't speak about 5.8G though.

6. DrJoe

No power lines by me, but very close to a light pole at 0:40 while my P2V+ chased a FC40...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghcXtq-W-c[/youtube]

7. NorthernObserver

You can get close to transmission lines, stay away from the lines with long insulators, insulators longer than the ones you see in this video I made flying around towers. The electric and magnetic field gradients are quite massive the closer you get to the wires, stay away 20 feet at least. Microwave and other communication towers are deadly, I'm thinking special shielding is necessary on a UAV to fly near them.

http://youtu.be/aumejyqCMDE