Power inverter for charging batteries revisited

MTH

Reaction score
Is anyone using an inverter to charge P4P batteries?

I have a Black and Decker 500 watt inverter that does not seem to work for the P4P charger. I connect the inverter directly to the battery. Only one light on the battery comes on when all is connected.

You connected an inverter "directly" to the battery? Not sure exactly what you are saying. Are you saying you connected an inverter to your car's 12VDC supply, inverting that to 120VAC, to hook your DJI charger to while out flying? That may or may not work. Check to make sure the inverter will output at least 6 or more amps. The more the better.
The Phantom 3&4 batteries require at least 17.5volts, and the power supply, that you plug your charger into, needs to be able to handle a current draw of at least 5-6amps. ( I have a P3P and the "charger" that came with it, supplies 15.7v @ 5.7amps. Even my 3rd party car charger, outputs 15.7v at 4amps. )
I bet your B&D inverter isn't able to handle the 5-6amp draw that the DJI charger is trying to pull. Thus, the "intelligent battery" is not cooperating. Also, if the voltage from the car battery drop too low, the current output to your inverter will drop also.
Just my thoughts.... Anyone else?

kerry, thanks for the quick response.

Sorry guess I was in a bit of a hurry, when writing the post, to get out and fly. The inverter I have has a plug to power from the cigarette lighter for 100 Watts and cable that connects directly to the car (truck) battery for 500 Watts. Didn't even think about amps. The inverter states that connected directly to the car battery output is 120V ~ 60Hz, 500 Watts. No mention of amps. I have used the inverter for small power tools. Drills, angle grinder, and Skill saw.

The other thing I forgot to mention was the light that is flashing is the closest to the button.

If anyone is using an inverter with the DJI charger please let me know which inverter you are using.

Thanks all
Mitch

What model# do you have? The flashing red light sounds like an overload or overtemp fault. Wish I could help more..

kerrylaw,

According to the formula you posted. Well I thought you posted. Got an email saying you posted. Anyway.
In the info you gave me, your inverter will supply 4.16amps.
A= Watts / Voltage so..
A= 500/120 so...
A= 4.166

A 720 Watt inverter should give me 6 amps. So off to Fry's I went because I remembered seeing a 1500 Watt inverter. Sure enough they had 1000 Watt and 1500 Watt inverters. At $150 for the 1500 Watt a whole lot more than a DJI car charger, but I would have other uses for it. Then I noticed the package said, "powers up to 3.5 amps". Just not going to work.

Thanks for your help
Mitch

I have found the chargers to be very sensitive to any voltage drop... typically I cannot get mine to charge off an inverter unless the car is running.

Charger input is 1.4A. I've ran it from a 150w inverter with no issues. You don't need a large inverter to run them. But, try to get a 'pure sine wave' as opposed to a 'modified sine wave' model. Some chargers can be finicky when used with modified sine wave inverters.

0e9c5b55e63504f52e4605578165acd3.jpg

You connected an inverter "directly" to the battery? Not sure exactly what you are saying. Are you saying you connected an inverter to your car's 12VDC supply, inverting that to 120VAC, to hook your DJI charger to while out flying? That may or may not work. Check to make sure the inverter will output at least 6 or more amps. The more the better.
The Phantom 3&4 batteries require at least 17.5volts, and the power supply, that you plug your charger into, needs to be able to handle a current draw of at least 5-6amps. ( I have a P3P and the "charger" that came with it, supplies 15.7v @ 5.7amps. Even my 3rd party car charger, outputs 15.7v at 4amps. )
I bet your B&D inverter isn't able to handle the 5-6amp draw that the DJI charger is trying to pull. Thus, the "intelligent battery" is not cooperating. Also, if the voltage from the car battery drop too low, the current output to your inverter will drop also.
Just my thoughts.... Anyone else?
There is now way the DJI power brick will try and pull 6 Amps from a 120v supply, that would be over 700w.
15.7v @5.7A is around 90w.... at 120v 90w is .75 Amps, that's all you need from the inverter on the output. If we assume 90% efficiency for the DJI power supply and inverter you may need just over 9 Amps from the vehicle supply (12v nom). You won't get this from the lighter socket without significant voltage drop, it's likely the low voltage input protection will trip on the inverter or it just won't work properly.

Was using 12v to 220ac car inverter and it worked fine. It was stated 500w, but I believe its was less in fact. Taking about 70 minutes to full charge batt.

A 500W inverter is enough for charging most USB devices and AC powered appliances as well...... but the battery capacity should also match with the inverter....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4