Power booster mods. How does it effect my battery life?

Reaction score
I have an ARGTek antenna booster and it works amazingly. I've heard boosting my power with the magic power mod, Icarus, or any of those boosts it <the Downlink> again. By how much does it boost it and how much does it reduce battery life?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: dougsteph
These antenna don't boost the signal they just transmit a more focused signal and some can receive (hear) better than others. They have no effect on battery life. The RC only pushes out x amount of watts. If you wish to boost you need a system than has a external battery powered signal booster. They boost your range not the power going to your antenna.

You can actually calculate the change in power demand when you use Icarus / Magic Power ....

I haven't bothered to but I just sensed my controller led flashing earlier after power boosting ..... but in reality its not enough change to worry about - you will still get more than days flying !

The Argtec alone will make no difference to stock power demand.

Nigel

These antenna don't boost the signal they just transmit a more focused signal and some can receive (hear) better than others. They have no effect on battery life. The RC only pushes out x amount of watts. If you wish to boost you need a system than has a external battery powered signal booster. They boost your range not the power going to your antenna.
The OP was referring to software mods not antenna mods that do increase the wattage of the RC and therefore would increase battery consumption.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The OP was referring to software mods not antenna mods that do increase the wattage of the RC and therefore would increase battery consumption.

Yes I was wondering by how much will it boost my range. Because if I can use both my antenna mod AND a software mod I feel I could get some super serious range out of it. My controller lasts more than one flight of battery and at the moment I only own one battery. So if I got a software mod that ate controller battery it wouldn't be so bad.

I just want to know the rate of drain vs how much extra distance it warrants

Yes I was wondering by how much will it boost my range. Because if I can use both my antenna mod AND a software mod I feel I could get some super serious range out of it. My controller lasts more than one flight of battery and at the moment I only own one battery. So if I got a software mod that ate controller battery it wouldn't be so bad.

I just want to know the rate of drain vs how much extra distance it warrants

Any software mod only boosts the video range,I'm using the power magic mod and got an extra 3000 ft in open terrain compared to my argtek alone. As for battery drain of the radio you shouldn't notice much of a difference.

Any software mod only boosts the video range,I'm using the power magic mod and got an extra 3000 ft in open terrain compared to my argtek alone. As for battery drain of the radio you shouldn't notice much of a difference.

This is the answer I needed since I got the ARGTek for the soul purpose of having better video while at long range so if I combine the two (magic power on top of my ARGTek) I should have smoother video out the the very end of my range with that controller

This is the answer I needed since I got the ARGTek for the soul purpose of having better video while at long range so if I combine the two (magic power on top of my ARGTek) I should have smoother video out the the very end of my range with that controller

The video will be smoother out to the end of range,anyone that's done the power magic mod have only had good things to say about it.

Last edited:
Can you show us pics of your RC with the 3 sunhans booster and where those sunhans are connected to. Thanks
Not to pretty, but she works. Max to date, 4559 meters (and RTH at that point) battery getting low, not lost signal.
IMAG0268.jpg

Reactions: k9time
Wow! The distance on that must be outstanding! So all Ports has a booster connected through it. Port 1 must be a 5.8Ghz booster and Port 2&3 a 2.4Ghz booster? You had a batt pak with 3 way splitter? Is it pretty heavy, the RC with all that stuff attach to it?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Wow! The distance on that must be outstanding! So all Ports has a booster connected through it. Port 1 must be a 5.8Ghz booster and Port 2&3 a 2.4Ghz booster? You had a batt pak with 3 way splitter? Is it pretty heavy, the RC with all that stuff attach to it?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
It's has some weight, but since your only holding it for 15/20 minutes, no big deal @ 3lbs (1.4kg).
Battery has two leads, with one having a two way splitter.
IMAG0269.jpg

Reactions: Raeq
It's has some weight, but since your only holding it for 15/20 minutes, no big deal @ 3lbs (1.4kg).
Battery has two leads, with one having a two way splitter.
View attachment 74172

Thanks, I'll try to set up my P3/4k with those boosters on my ITelite antenna. I saw one on this forum that did the same. He only had two boosters, a 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz on Port 1 & 2 respectively. I am curious if the distance varies, or which performs better.

Thanks, I'll try to set up my P3/4k with those boosters on my ITelite antenna. I saw one on this forum that did the same. He only had two boosters, a 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz on Port 1 & 2 respectively. I am curious if the distance varies, or which performs better.
That is the way that's probably more common, because people don't want to spend the extra money on a 3rd amp plus the power supply issue. I had a different view of the issue. The way it normally works is both ports are identical in the data they transmit or receive. And the wifi module just chooses which side is getting the better signal and uses that for that moment in time. So by amping just one side in my mind would mean that only one side would be functioning for the most part and the other side would just sit there unutilized. So I went with the thought of why not have both sides equal, both being amplified. This way the wifi module can go back to its normal function of alternating between which side is getting the best signal at that moment in time.

If I had to put a number on it I would say my range increased maybe 25% tops over running just one amp. But even more importantly I feel my video quality was more solid within its operating range.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1