POTUS motorcade drone flyover

Reaction score
Well folks I'm just watching the morning news and another one of our genius drone pilots flew his quad over President Obamas motorcade. Our hobby keeps getting more publicity...ugh.

Also, I'm sure he had a nice long chat with the Secret Service...lol

According to this article; Drone Buzzes Obama's Motorcade in Hawaii the operator did no know the motorcade was in the area but as per another thread, the entire main island is under a TFR. Obviously he did no get the memo and he was let go when a guy with a flying camera proved to be no threat.

...and the motorcade was returning from the golf course.

I'm brand new to this hobby, but is there any app or newsletter that would provide alerts from the FAA or any other governing body about what areas you can and can't fly in?

Just when spontaneous combustion hover boards were starting to get more bad press than drones. Oh well..

Reactions: BigAl07 and Couchie
I'm brand new to this hobby, but is there any app or newsletter that would provide alerts from the FAA or any other governing body about what areas you can and can't fly in?

The 'Official' source of all TFR info can be found at http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/. You can also sign up to be emailed when there is a new TFR posted for your area. I have mine sent to both my email and my phone via SMS. I do this more for the flying airplanes then for the UASs, but works the same!

Reactions: BigAl07
"The 'Official' source of all TFR info can be found at http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/. You can also sign up to be emailed when there is a new TFR posted for your area. I have mine sent to both my email and my phone via SMS. I do this more for the flying airplanes then for the UASs, but works the same!"

Error 404 for your link.

Just when spontaneous combustion hover boards were starting to get more bad press than drones. Oh well..

I did hear it on NBC Today Show but couldn't find mention of it on CNN's US news- page.

Error 404 for your link.

Sorry, I copied it after I went to the page. The correct link is: http://tfr.faa.gov

If you are interested in getting email notifications a few days prior to the TFR going up, you can sign up at www.faasafety.gov.

Here is an example of the notice you will get via email:

VIP Movement Notification - Tulsa, OK
Notice Number: NOTC6288

November 17, 2015
Tulsa, OK
3 NMR - 3000 AGL

Specific instructions and restrictions are available at http://tfr.faa.gov once the NOTAM has been issued.

*Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes. For the latest information, call your local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF.

This notice is being sent to you because you selected "Selected ATC Notices" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov. If you wish to adjust your selections, log into Login - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov where you can update your preferences

According to this article; Drone Buzzes Obama's Motorcade in Hawaii the operator did no know the motorcade was in the area but as per another thread, the entire main island is under a TFR. Obviously he did no get the memo and he was let go when a guy with a flying camera proved to be no threat.

The TFR you mention was issued on the 28th of Dec. & to be effective for all of the 30th of Dec. so, technically, whose SNAFU was it?

To me, simply look at the website before you fly. No TFR's in my area? Go ahead & fly.[emoji2]

Very true. A little different on the fixed wing side, when you file a flight plan you better be very aware of any TFRs. They are pounded into your head in the flight brief you must do prior to every flight. I just like to make darn sure I'm not one of those pilots cruising on through a TFR. I tend to be a little overboard on the safety side. :)

He's a pilot now and is responsible for making himself aware. If you're going to be flying in US Air Space you have to follow the rules. Period.

FAA NOTAM FDC 5/4411

Issue Date : December 09, 2015 at 2013 UTC
Beginning Date and Time : December 19, 2015 at 0815 UTC
Ending Date and Time : January 04, 2016 at 0700 UTC
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for VIP Movement
Radius: 30 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to and including 17999 feet MSL

The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, seaplane operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and utility and pipeline survey operations.

Wonder if they asked if he was registered :rolleyes:

Gee everyone knows to read the thousands of TFRs and SFRAs the FAA writes on a whim. Add it to the pre-flight checklist folks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic