Potential loss of control in metal structures

Reaction score
All of us have seen those railroad bridges....lots of metal beams all over: above, below, right and left of you.

I was wondering whether flying through one of those bridges would make me lose control.....as in a Faraday cage....

Anybody has any ideas, tips or opinions ?

Thanks

Shouldn't be any Faraday effect unless the thing is covered in fencing. The abundance of mostly exposed metal may cause the compass to act strangely. What you don't want is for it to go into TBE in the middle of the bridge which it could if there are strong enough magnetic fields.

You need to get an idea for the magnetic potential of the bridge. If it's safely accessible on foot, you can use a compass app that gives you the equivalent of a mod value. Or you can even turn the Phantom on and walk through with it to see if it goes red/yellow indicating the compass is pissed off.

Yesterday I ran into this very same issue I think. I was videoing and taking pics our local fire station (working with the fire chief's blessing) and things were going great. I had them pull the trucks out and got some good pictures. Then, near the end, I wanted to do a fly though of one of the bays so I asked them to move all but one of the trucks back into the station. This is the type of station that has doors on each end of the garage so they can drive the trucks straight through them and is maybe 75' across. I knew that it was likely that I would lose GPS but I had hoped that it wouldn't be fast enough to be a problem. I got maybe 10' in and the PS2+ starts to slew to the right. I try to correct it, and then it suddenly shoots forward very quickly, getting a little too close to one of the trucks. I bring it back to the center and immediately bring it to the ground but I came in fast and it tipped over and did the crab walk for about another 10' before I could power down. I didn't have the nerve to try again, and while i was disappointed that I didn't get the video I wanted things worked out well over all.

I doubt that your location would be as much of a Faraday cage as a metal fire station but you should be careful. I like the idea of trying to do a walk through with the phantom and wished that I had tried that yesterday!

And, yes, I am scaredy 'fraid of manual mode and won't be trying the fly through again in that mode. :?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.