Potential Career, Drone Pilots in Australia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this has been discussed before. If it has, please pardon me and point me to a previous thread.

Especially for those in the Australia drone industry, is there any potential future for the careers of drone or UAV pilots, other than in the defense industry?

I do see a lot of drone hobbyists. However I don't find widespread commercial interests in hiring drones pilots, whether part time or on a project basis.

Reason because I am a beginner, but I am considering to further my interests on the commercial side of things.

I don't have a commercial license to fly a drone yet, but I just want to explore the demand in this area and seek your opinions, before making future moves or taking up training courses for RPAS.

Commercial drone uses are exploding in many fields around the world, from construction inspections to agricultural uses to surveillance. In the USA, currently you must have a #333 exemption and at least a sport pilot license. There is talk they may be relaxing the rules but it has not happened yet. I am not familiar with Australia's current requirements but a check with your air control agency should be able to get you the info. Give this link a try - Welcome to Australian Certified UAV Operators Inc.

I do see a lot of drone hobbyists. However I don't find widespread commercial interests in hiring drones pilots, whether part time or on a project basis.

I'm in the US, not Australia, but this is spot on imo.

You know who gets rich in a gold rush? A few miners and a bunch of merchants serving those miners.

I would agree, I just got an e-mail from one of my suppliers dropping the prices on Inspire 1, Inspire 1 Pro and Inspire 1 Pro Black edition significantly. I realize it means the next gen Inspire is likely to drop, but I also see waning interest in the entire Phantom series. Has the drone craze seen its "flash in the pan?"

The hobby drone world & the commercial drone world are two different animals. A lot of new drone work is not in new creations of work opportunities, but new uses in existing fields of work. And like other desirable jobs like this there are only so many to go around so you must be the best of the best or be well connected.

Thanks for the feedback.
Are there any Australian commercial drone pilots here who would like to provide their opinions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4