Posting to Social Media / youtube

Reaction score
Hello all, (first post)

In my research I have found that it is illegal to fly your drone in any National Park

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/travel/national-park-service-drone-ban/ Article posted 6/20/2014

"The National Park Service announced Friday it is prohibiting drones -- properly called unmanned aircraft -- from all NPS-controlled lands and waters. That includes 84 million acres in every state and territory, including monuments, battlefields, historic sites, seashores, rivers and trails."

Before I was aware of this I had videos posted to my Instagram from my drone footage (I've deleted it). So it got me the wondering....

If I were to be investigated for whatever reason, can the FAA or any other regulatory agency look at my social media accounts and or youtube account and charge me for whatever vidoes I have posted in a National Park?

1a: Does it matter if my account is on private? (I figure they're the gov and they can go into whatever they want anyway)

Obviously an answer could be "Just don't post any video footage flying over illegal areas anyway"

1b: Retroactively, will people that have videos posted on youtube be fined as well because I see TONS of videos on youtube of people flying over places they shouldn't be "according to the law".

Australia's regulator, CASA, fined someone $800+ based on their Youtube video.
It was a Phantom pilot who took the video down and then sold their Phantom.

bjiphantom said:
Hello all, (first post)

In my research I have found that it is illegal to fly your drone in any National Park

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/travel/national-park-service-drone-ban/ Article posted 6/20/2014

"The National Park Service announced Friday it is prohibiting drones -- properly called unmanned aircraft -- from all NPS-controlled lands and waters. That includes 84 million acres in every state and territory, including monuments, battlefields, historic sites, seashores, rivers and trails."

Before I was aware of this I had videos posted to my Instagram from my drone footage (I've deleted it). So it got me the wondering....

If I were to be investigated for whatever reason, can the FAA or any other regulatory agency look at my social media accounts and or youtube account and charge me for whatever vidoes I have posted in a National Park?

1a: Does it matter if my account is on private? (I figure they're the gov and they can go into whatever they want anyway)

Obviously an answer could be "Just don't post any video footage flying over illegal areas anyway"

1b: Retroactively, will people that have videos posted on youtube be fined as well because I see TONS of videos on youtube of people flying over places they shouldn't be "according to the law".

It's an interesting question - If the fines that could be collected are significant (say several thousand dollars) - then maybe they would/could come after you?

In general though - I think the posted fines/rules are meant to be prophylactic and/or used in instances where someone is caught in the act as a basis for making them stop flying or confiscating their equipment.

I think the red-tape of going after people after the fact (proving the dates they flew - that it was actually the person who posted the video who was flying at the time etc etc) - I would think it would be fairly unlikely to see any meaningful attempt to collect.

That said - I could imagine them going after a choice pilot or two to make a point (again - really as a means to discourage others from trying to get away with it).

Here in Canada, Transport Canada fined a small entrepreneurial company $1000 for filming a real estate listing for a local agent. They did not have proper certification for a commercial shoot. Their youtube video was actually done and posted on youtube back in June, but they did not receive a fine until Dec. Unfortunately for them, they branded the video with their company name, so TC did not have to look very hard to find them.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the NPS. They don't seem to want to bully people around like the FAA does. I highly doubt they are trolling the internet for transgressions.

Unless your videos show irresponsible behavior such as damaging the park, disturbing wildlife (or shooting fireworks at your friends) you're probably OK.

If you post to youtube and make it a public video then it is fair game for any government agency to use against you. If the video is in youtube but private/not listed they would need a warrent to get the video.

The likelyhood of having problems with faa or police are very small. It would take a youtube video with a few million views and for the news agencies to start talking about it. I'm pretty sure my vacation video with 53 views is of no concern to the FAA haha.

bjiphantom said:
Hello all, (first post)

They (NPS or FAA) would have to prove 1) the the videos were made by you, 2) that the videos were shot AFTER the ban was implemented.

I wouldn't worry.

RC crafts have been around for a very long time. There were no bans then. Now that drones are in the news, drones are outlawed. We're RC planes, helicopters, jets and RC cars also banned? A kid can't play with his RC vehicle at state parks?

Why the ban? I think from the massive anti-drone campaign in the news. But, the media is okay with government drones that can and do kill. Even innocents. Yet, our little drones are the concern.

PhantomFanatic said:
RC crafts have been around for a very long time. There were no bans then. Now that drones are in the news, drones are outlawed. We're RC planes, helicopters, jets and RC cars also banned? A kid can't play with his RC vehicle at state parks?

Why the ban? I think from the massive anti-drone campaign in the news. But, the media is okay with government drones that can and do kill. Even innocents. Yet, our little drones are the concern.

I fly in a State Park. National Parks have banned drones, not State Parks.
The ban was inacted after: 1) Drones chased Big Horn Sheep at Zion's NP, 2) A Dutch tourist crashed his drone into Grand Prismatic Spring, another crashed his into Yellowstone Lake, narrowly missing boaters, and a third tourist crashed his inside Yellowstone National Park, 3) A ceremony of seated participants at Mt Rushmore National Memorial ampitheatre was buzzed by a tourist, and 4) numerous noise complaints from other tourists.

As much as I'd love to fly at some parks, I'd hate to have my future ground photos of Delicate Arch (Arches National Park, Utah) contain a swarm of drones flying around and through the arch.

RC crafts/helicopters etc have all been around which I get but I think the main thing people have concerns about is the camera and recording aspect of drones.

I think with helicopters and RC planes the maneuverability wasn't as easy to go fly on the xyz plane.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair