Posting of possible false contests - user beware

Reaction score
I was checking out the contests and giveaway and entered a couple of the new ones.
To me anyway, the one being operated by "Scoob" may be a fishing trip.
That is, a trick to gather emails.
Why do I say that? Because the base domain has nothing to look at and can not be found.
In this contest post, nothing was said about being sent a confirmation link. When I did click on the link, I got an error page.
That was my experience.

In the future I would like the powers that be to install rules and guidelines for posting contests.
If the prize is a DJI product, then the person operating the contest should be established with DJI as a known retailer.
Scammers and spammers will use any trick they can to get emails.

I'd even go so far as to ask permission before that person can post a contest/giveaway.
Just something to consider to protect the legitimate users from the bad ones out there.

See the pinned post on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/droneu?fref=ts)

When I entered a few days ago it worked fine. Seems they had a loss of service overnight which caused some links to die.

Suwaneeguy said:
Scammers and spammers will use any trick they can to get emails.
Too much work. It's the same reason that spammers do not crawl websites to harvest a few email addresses - it's too much work and the results are meager. I have a honeypot email address on all of my websites in plain text and I have not received a single spam email on that account for the years I have used it.

But on your suggestion, wouldn't this lock out any new business wanting to use a Phantom giveaway as a marketing tool to get noticed?

Steve, as long as it is a legitimate business, I have no objections.
It's just that when I tried checking out this website, I got error pages.
The information returned in a whois lookup did not reveal the identity of the owner.
I just get a little nervous about dealing with a person who may be fishing.

The site worked fine for me today. I hope I win.

Scammers don't need to run contests to get your email, and getting your email is hardly a reward for scammers.

And every promotion out there is to get your emails so that they can send you spam emails and try to sell you stuff. That's the whole point.

I do wonder how many of these small contests are manipulated in some way. When I gave away a Hubsan on my youtube page, I used random.org. But I just did it for fun and get some conversation going and didn't have to give anything away. But if someone out of the blue is giving away Inspire 1s, who knows if there is a winner at all, or if the winner is their friend.

Many small businesses offer a drawing for a prize in exchange for an email and to receive e-mail promotions. If you want to know who won, just ask.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31