*** Posting About Your 107 Results? POST IT HERE!

Did you find the test easy or hard?

• It was easy for me!

• It had some challenges but I got through it OK.

• I found it difficult.

• I haven't tested yet but plan to.

• I'm don't plan to take the test.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This thread is for everyone who wants to talk about their part 107 test experience.
Lets keep them organized by only posting about it here. Thanks! ;)

6ca0a1f0-7d63-0131-5193-12a578776e51.gif

I was able to complete the test in 30 minutes with a 80% passing.
A few of the questions were "trick"questions. Especially one about flying before sunrise.
I found it easier than I thought but I am also taking my Private Pilot's Exam soon. So for those that have never looked at a Sectional, METAR, NOTAM, etc. will have problems and probably not pass.
I'm pretty sure I am the first one in Seattle to pass the FAA test.

:D <-- How I feel after PASSING (well deserved) with around 25 hours of studying with an 80%
Part-107_Test-Results.jpg
Well I took the test this morning and was the 5th person in my town to be taking it (7th by end of 2nd day). Didn't hear of anyone here not passing yet. After getting on the boards here yesterday (first day test went live) and refreshing every hour I decided to hit the SECTIONAL CHARTS and METAR/TAF a little harder. The SECTIONAL CHART studying PAID OFF!

Knowing there is a 300? database being pulled from, my advice pertains to my test, but should help with choosing what to Study.

Tips:
-Read the entire question before even opening the supplement book to the "figure" it directs you to. I had a couple questions where the figure/chart wasn't even needed.
-STUDY Sectionals via FAA guides & watch some youtube videos. Don't spend too much time trying to memorize the legends of Sectionals because it is in your Supplement book.
-STUDY the part 107 rules/regulations
-Understand CRM & ADM
-Understand how to read METAR/TAF reports

I gained all my knowledge from YOUTUBE Videos, FAA-G-8082-22, FAA-CT-8080-2G (same supplement used during test)
FAA Part 107:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Charts: https://skyvector.com

Like others have already starting saying, this has definitely got me interested in one day pursuing a sports pilot license but I need to make some $$ with this drone first. For all the frustration and feelings of some of this knowledge not applying at all to UAS flying it will weed out the ones not serious. I did really enjoy learning to read Sectionals and I'll be purchasing a 2-way Radio to increase my knowledge.

Give me a vote if this was helpful!

Last edited:
Passed (90) after studying pretty intently for the past week at lunch and this past weekend. Thank you Lord.
Also took the Gold Seal online course this past year and revisited several times recently. Study the FAA provided sample materials.

Reactions: BigAl07
I PASSED!! 87% I found it harder than I thought it would be but taking UAV Coach Drone Pilot Ground School definitely prepared me for it! Now I have 2 years to really lock down my knowledge of sectionals as that was my biggest challenge in actually being able to apply information rather than just come up with an option. The testing center had a book that I purchased that I believe will boost my understanding. Good luck to those still waiting to test! Man I haven't been this nervous since taking the Graduate Record Exam!! lol

Barely passed mine today with a 75% but glad I made it. Guess my 59 year old brain cells ain't what they used to be. Proctor told me I was the 30th person he gave the test to. Said the highest score he had so far was 88% and three people didn't make the cut.

Reactions: Falcon900
I took a pre-course at an aviation school, which turned out to be worthless.

There are probably hundreds of questions that are randomly selected by the CATS system to serve up the official 60, thus every test is most likely different. IMO here is what you need to study for:
  • Be sure to understand "Airspace Classifications; especially D through G.
  • The majority of my test had a lot of chart work. You need to know how to find Latitude / Longitude and the minutes. There was no conversion to decimal as it was all old school, however, you should know if they ask how to convert the minutes into decimal. Simple, just divide by 60.
  • Understand where to find the various radio frequencies / identifiers on a chart and the differences between them, i.e. which acronym does what. ASOS / AWOS vs UNICOM vs ATIS etc.
  • Have an understanding about weather and specifically how it pertains to aeronautics and aircraft performance.
  • Understand the simple 400ft rule, unless you're within 400' of a structure, and then your altitude is can be has high as the structure as long as you're not violating the cloud-clearance requirements of 500' vertically (based on your AGL) and 2000' horizontally.
  • Understand the difference between AGL and MSL and when they apply.
  • Understand when you need ATC permission to fly in a certain airspace classification and what your restrictions are, and when, in MOA.
  • Know how to read a METAR.
  • Know ADM / CRM and the nuances between them.
I studied for about 14 hrs over two days, right before the test. I found the test more difficult than I had expected, no thanks to the class instruction that was extremely poor. For whatever reason, I went here (it's free), and studied everything, along with watching the videos. I got an 85%.
Sarah Nilsson - Aviation

Best of luck.

Peace & God bless....

Attachments

• FAATest.jpg
    FAATest.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 1,221
I passed! But by skin 'o teeth. I underestimated. Wish I'd seen all these comments beforehand. All are accurate. Sectionals, weather, airspace etc much more intense than I anticipated, but truly worthwhile knowledge. And it's all in your preparatory material. Results were immediate, but they said it takes 48 hours for the results to post. I talked w/Faa person she told me it was 72 WORKING HOURS. based on 8 hour day does that mean it takes 9 DAYS?

Reactions: Falcon900
I took the test on Friday, 9/2. As of 9/3, the results haven't been posted to FAA. I suspect that the "48 hour" thing will mean I won't see results until AFTER Labor Day weekend.

At any rate, I passed with 82%. It took me about 50 minutes, including 2-3 times running through each question to confirm answers. All of the questions are three-part multiple choice. Some of the questions are "tricky," (or would be if you haven't studied and don't understand the difference between MSL and AGL, runway designations, compass directions, radio frequency labels and purpose, etc.)

I would classify the test as somewhat difficult in that most of the questions required at least some rote memorization of rules, distances, weights, heights, and procedures. The only reasoning was in answering the questions by eliminating answers that seemed illogical. There was some simple math that did require a good understanding of weather, sectional charts and other topics.

There is no subject on the test that is NOT mentioned in FAA-S-ACS-10 Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Airman Certification Standards. Become familiar with the items referred to in this. Be prepared to answer questions in any area of this document, but don't be surprised if you don't get any questions on any particular topic. (For example, I studied for hours on METAR/TAF codes and got NO questions on METAR/TAF. Others had several MATAR/TAF questions. Be prepared!)

During the test, you are given a printed copy of the "Airman's Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot." This is available online. I'd highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with every page (except the airplane instruments). Many of the questions refer to the supplement. If you review the supplement and work through the given airspaces, weather and airport printouts, etc you will find parts of the test a bit less of a surprise. There is also a legend for the sectional maps at the front of the book that will provide a tiny bit of help.

I spent about 30-40 hours studying the recommended resources on the FAA site, plus found a couple of other free online sources of information. The only thing I purchased was this book "The Pilot's Manual: Ground School: All the aeronautical knowledge required to pass the FAA exams and operate as a Private and Commercial Pilot"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1560276770/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This book helped me by providing a less lawyer-like wording of the rules than that contained in FAA documents. (It had ZERO on drones, but was helpful on weather, airspace, radio, and airport procedures. I shoulda read the chapters on load balancing, etc).

Despite my studying, I had to guess on 11 questions.

I had questions on winged aircraft center of gravity, topics I had totally skipped because I really didn't realize there were winged drones.

There were MANY questions that required knowing specific numerical values, and a clear understanding of the concept of "greater than, less than, less than or equal to, greater than or equal to." (No number mentioned in the study materials or UAS regulations is off-limits).

I found it more difficult then expected although I have absolutely no pilot/flight experience so everything was new to me. UAS Ground School was my saving grace. Alan and the guys there are amazing and extremely helpful. If your completely green at this I highly recommend them.

Passed with an 83%.

Well, I got 95%, but think I should have gotten 98% as I'm sure two of the three questions marked wrong, were actually right. I was hoping for 100, but there was one question I had no clue about, and guessed wrong: "How long must you wait to apply for certification after being convicted of growing marijuana"? The answers were 6 months, 12 months, 18 months. I incorrectly guessed 18 months.

Most of the questions I hadn't seen before; but were also generally easier than I was expecting.

The other two other questions I missed were:

It's 40 minutes before sunrise, when can you start flying your sUAS?
10 minutes (I picked this one)
40 minutes
70 minutes

What are the symptoms of hyperventilation?
Light-headedness (I picked this one)
Slow Breathing
Relaxed state of mind {can't remember the exact phrase}

The other two other questions I missed were:

It's 40 minutes before sunrise, when can you start flying your sUAS?
10 minutes (I picked this one)
40 minutes
70 minutes

I wouldn't say that's a trick question, but it is a bit tricky.

If it said that your sUAS was equipped with lights, your answer would have been correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers