post Expired

Re: Lost DJI Phantom in Erskine / Bishopton, Scotland

sorry to hear about your loss. can you please provide detail as to flight time, add ons, weather condition, flight situation, etc? some of us on this forum can probably give you a rough estimate of where to look.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it's relatively close to me. Hope you get it back.

Might be worth mentioning it to the local police force in case it's handed in by someone.

Like someone else said, any idea of direction of flight eg do you think it's in Big Wood ?

A bit late I know but do you have your phone number on it? This sort of thing scares me enough that I bought an android phone off ebay, and glued it to my phantom. I have the phone rigged up so that if I txt it, it sends me back it's location.

JimM said:
I lost sight of my DJI Phantom quadcopter with GoPro 3 from Mar Hall golf course, Erskine, Scotland on Monday 3rd June 2013.

Ouch. I hate it when that happens.

Was Fail Safe RTH enabled?

JimM said:
Yes, RTH enabled - from day 1 :)...... RTH is really not fit for purpose

I can only say anecdotally that mine has worked the times I've tried it.

JimM said:
No idea on direction. It could be in big wood, but I was there on business and flying in the evening, so only had a few evenings to search. I concentrated on the more open areas due to time constraints. It could even be in the river! It would be nice to get the kit back but I may have to accept that it's an expensive lesson to learn.

Sadly you've got no clues to give. I take it your final take off point was near the river towards it's mouth. Even so, it could be anywhere North or South of, or even in the Clyde.

Your best hope is probably local dog walkers/golfers etc

Others have been lucky with people finding them after a few days, so, fingers crossed.

Well that sucks :(
Did you see flashing red lights during the flight? If so, it might not have been the battery being low, but maybe the Phantom lost it's GPS link with the satellites. If it wasn't, you should probably contact DJI and try to get back at least some of the money you lost when it flew away. I've tested RTH on mine plenty of times, and it's always worked, so maybe you had a faulty one?
Or maybe it was a pre-production model that you had that didn't have a GPS feature enabled? Some stores still have the pre-production models

Hope you get it back :)

JimM said:
auck said:
sorry to hear about your loss. can you please provide detail as to flight time, add ons, weather condition, flight situation, etc? some of us on this forum can probably give you a rough estimate of where to look.

Around 9.30pm, approximately 3 mins into flight having completed a number of low level runs, so about 5 mins left on the battery.
GoPro 3 black attached. WiFi switched off- GoPro manual mode 1080p 60fps
Weather clear with no wind. It was a very calm evening, although the sky was turning grey due to the time of day.
It was hovering stationary on GPS lock at about 140 feet (based upon approximately 7 seconds total ascent time). sticks centred.
It was just visible to me so I decided to descend it when a particularly active cloud of the local midges decided I would make a good snack for them.. I took my eyes of it for about 2-3 seconds and when I looked back up I couldn't locate it.
I looked around in all directions and couldn't see it anywhere - which was very confusing.
I reduced throttle to 25% to descend - assuming it had just climbed a bit more, watching and listening for any sign of it. After about a minute I realised It wasn't coming back into view so switched the Tx off hoping it would go into RTH mode. It didn't. RTH and controller protection had been set up in Naza Software setup, GPS locked on and compass re-calibrated before flight, flashing green only.
The most frustrating aspects are that RTH function didn't function! and I don't know which direction it took off in.

A previous flight about 15 mins earlier was from a spot 10 mins along the bank so I went back to check there in case it had somehow home locked to there instead. It hadn't
Lessons learned - 1. DO NOT rely on RTH. 2. Do not be over ambitious on flight altitude. 3. Use a good GPS tracker. 4. Place contact information on the Quad.

WIth 5 mins left on the battery and approx 22 mph / 60mins x 5mins on battery (assuming worst case max speed) I estimate a maximum flyoff distance of 1.8 miles. Is this a reasonable estimate or am I calculating all wrong?
Thanks.

15 minutes of flight time with a gopro? I can never get more than 5 minutes without anything hanging from the phntom.

Hi JimM did you find your Phantom yet? I can come over and give you hand look for it.

Jason

Sorry Jim,
New to the forum and can't reply to PM's until I have used it a bit more. I am based in Barrhead which is about 10 miles from Erskine. I fly nothing at the moment. Was hoping to meet up with Scottish based flyers to pick there brains about what to buy, where to buy it and go flying with them. I have a GP Hero 2 and Hero 3 black which I use for all my fishing trips aboard my boat. Was looking to up the anti with some aerial footage of the boats fishing etc. I can't find any local dealers who sell or could even offer me advice on DJI's. I have read plenty of sights but the majority of it is gobbledigoog. Give me a bell when you are in the area again and I will pop over and assist. It will be a good walk for the dog. :)

I am a cop so will speak to the local boys and give them the heads up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers