Post Drone Crash Diagnostics

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I had my first crash yesterday and it was a pretty bad one. It wasn't through user error but was very bizarre what occurred.

I had been flying it all afternoon absolutely fine with no faults at all. Following that I was in Liverpool, UK and spotted a brightly coloured boat on the river. So I calibrated the Phantom (as I do for each new flight) got the green flashing lights and was good to go.

I took off and flew over without a hitch. However, all of a sudden I got a compass calibration required message! I am positive this is related to the boat but I don't know to what effect! Then the phantom took on a life of it's own. No matter what I did I couldnt seem to control the quad. So I took it higher hoping to gain control which didn't work and it eventually found it's way onto a roof, following a harsh crash of course.

I was happy that no injuries or anything occurred and that I didnt lose my quad in the water. After retrieving it this morning it has some battle scars (props snapped, crack on one arm around motor and a few scratches).

Now I turned it on today the first time after the crash to find issues. The phantom initialises fine, nothing out of the ordinary. However, once initialised the front red lights don't turn on. They turn on and flash with the back ones once starting however. What could this be? I have only noticed it now but that might be the way it is. Once the motors power up the lights then come on. Also, the quad is unable to find satellites. I did notice that the crash detached the GPS cable from the motherboard and since have plugged it in to not success. This seems to be the biggest issue. I calibrate it 'okay' and it just says ready to fly non-GPS.

Furthermore, the last three videos are black with no footage. I also struggle to connect the drone to the PC with a USB failure

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Ben

The front LEDs (Red) won't stay lit until the motors start.

The GPS issue is likely a broken patch antenna. The GPS PCB is mounted to the inside top of the top shell half.
On top of the GPS PCB is a square ceramic block, that is the antenna and most likely cracked in the crash (very common).

An inexpensive part (the antenna) and fairly easy to replace if you have soldering skills.

Plenty of YT vids to show how to replace it.

Otherwise the entire GPS PCB is about $160 US

Thanks for that info! I am pretty good with a soldering gun.

Is there a site with all available parts that every phantom owner uses where I can get the antenna?

Also, any idea what caused this issue? It uncalibrated itself mid-air. Also, why did the data get wiped?

Cheers, Ben

Can't help with the cause of crash or data issue.

Search this site and you'll find lots of threads about the GPS antenna.

Thanks Rob I may take you up on that offer. Firstly I'm now in the process of glueing everything back together securely.

Cheers, Ben

2mm lmfao :):):p:D
the 4mm get nice quick sat lock but i had to mod the shell top very slightly with a craft knife (easy and recommended)
is it the puck or the board thats damaged ?

Ha I knew that was a loaded question! At this stage I'm not sure. I watched a YouTube video on the replacement of the patch and noticed its a very cheap part.

I started to remove the gps protection and noticed its that horrible type of adhesive so to save constantly removing it I thought I'd buy the patch assuming it's cracked.

Is there a price difference between the two? And what is the mod?

You have this setup Rob? The GPS booster, how is this installed? Where can I purchase these parts

Hi Ben I am from the Wirral side of Merseyside was wondering were about on the Mersey you were flying, is it possible you went near the no fly area of john Lennon airport? Not sure if that would cause your crash but it is also reported in the
Liverpool echo yesterday that they were looking into someone flying a drone near the airport causing planes to divert,

Hi Robby.

Wow, that is very very irresponsible! No fortunately that was not me. I was on the Albert docks at the Liver Building

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442265158.269844.jpg

Does this antenna look cracked or is that tiny hairline insufficient. I'm just trying to establish of the puck is the cause of no GPS

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl