Post-Crash Actions

dec

Reaction score
All - I'm in the post-crash test flight planning phase and thought I'd use the knowledge of this forum to help me think through the next steps . . . who knows, maybe this can help others that will be in similar situation in the future.

Background - I "lost situational awareness" (operator error) a few weeks ago; my P2 w/GP (no FPV) hit a limb and fell about 20 feet damaging one arm. The battery and zenmuse 2D/GP separated, but remained close to the P2 (almost no horizontal movement when contacting tree). Assessment: gimbal, GP and battery are ok and will be tested after I get the P2 back into flight mode. Post-crash (known) equipment need: 1) new shell (or repair the bent arm) 2) new ESC (visibly bent) 3) new gimbal mount.

I have rec'd the new ESC and will replace soon. I elected to try and heat/bend/repair the arm vice buying new shell (I will order a new one if flight doesn't seem normal) and to my surprise the repair actually might get me back into the air to evaluate the rest of the equipment needs. I have a new mount on order, but I'm in no hurry to get the GP/Gimbal back on and return to my hobby flying around collecting GBs of video that I've really not done much with so far . . . still cutting my teeth on video editing.

My plan a) mount new ESC b) update firmware c) conduct test flight. Then I should know whether a knew shell is needed and maybe the new gimbal mount will arrive at which point I can verify no gimbal damage (connectors actually appear fine).

My questions are:
1) is there anything else I need to do prior to battery install and power up?
2) besides updated firmware is there any diagnostics that I need to do?
3) any lessons learned that I should expect from anyone that has heated/bent the arm back?

I have some pic's that I may post if that's of value and of course the famous crash video that I may actually convert/upload at some point. Thankx in advance~

dc

Be carful with that arm trying to get it back the shell will be weaker and if it's off the bird will be all over the place . I'm not saying it can't be done just watch when trying the test flight .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UsnUx5fJ1M&list=UUz8ROygm9-rR7CHdPGmXAsA
So - new ESC installed, firmware updated and I ran the IMU cal. Im happy with the solders, but I did manage to heat/damage the GPS as well as the zenmuse cables. I dont know how finicky they are to the start up/bit check, but I've got some gremlins to find.

When I start up, all four arms get the superquick led blink, but only the rear two start the green/amber/red light sequencing ... a few seconds go by at which point they stop and nothing else happens.

Not really sure what my next trouble shooting step is, but I can tell you I am disappointed at the DJI page. I assumed they would have a very thorough troubleshooting library or wiki . . Maybe no one really crashes these things ;) .

Any tips from the group?

Can anyone on the forum recommend a next step? Basically, I am at a stand still on what to try next. My mutimeter shows power getting to all four arms. Is there software that can show me further errors than just the standard calibration/firmware?

ok....I've admitted the crash . . . H E L P. Surely someone on the board has experience they can share. If its -- send it OFF to XXX, that would even be helpful :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj