Post Android Tablet issues with P4

Reaction score
My Nexus 7 is 2nd gen and worked flawlessly with my previous P3 Pro. I updated to latest DJI Go. It recognize the aircraft and says to update firmware of Aircraft. I did the update and after the aircraft was done and proceeded to do the RC it no longer recognize the aircraft so I switch on my iPhone and it proceeded the update firmware on the RC. After reboot, everything works with iPhone 6+. Android connects but does not see any image at camera view at all. I think the aircraft upgrade is not good for Android. DJI needs to fix it.

The conspiracy theorist in me says
Possible blatant sabotage by DJI for Android users to make them move to Apple products.

My Nexus 7 is 2nd gen and worked flawlessly with my previous P3 Pro. I updated to latest DJI Go. It recognize the aircraft and says to update firmware of Aircraft. I did the update and after the aircraft was done and proceeded to do the RC it no longer recognize the aircraft so I switch on my iPhone and it proceeded the update firmware on the RC. After reboot, everything works with iPhone 6+. Android connects but does not see any image at camera view at all. I think the aircraft upgrade is not good for Android. DJI needs to fix it.

Possible blatant sabotage by DJI for Android users to make them move to Apple products.
I presume you have sorted this? but downloading the assistant 2 app from the p4 downloads on dji website will then do a hard aircraft firmware update and fix the camera issue.. also go app 2.7.1 is due on android.

I ended up cleaning out my Android 7. No big deal as I only use it for Phantom. Re-installed DJI app go and works now. Somewhat. At times it still does not see camera. I will try the assistant 2 later. Thanks for the help.

I have the same flaky experience with a Samsung Tab 3. Ended up using Assistant 2 for the firmware, but have been unable to get any camera video working. This tablet worked with P3P, so I didn't think the P4 would be different. Anyway, I've tried 3 different versions of Android, none work. Very disappointed with the lackluster Android support.

I have the same flaky experience with a Samsung Tab 3. Ended up using Assistant 2 for the firmware, but have been unable to get any camera video working. This tablet worked with P3P, so I didn't think the P4 would be different. Anyway, I've tried 3 different versions of Android, none work. Very disappointed with the lackluster Android support.

You might have to wipe clean the tablet and reinstall DJI Go App. Have you tried that?

the go app can mess up lots due to some usb commands or something else is using the data path at same time. normally when no image is shown its because it see`s the wrong craft (camera) normally one click of the shoot ( try taking a picture) will then bring the video link to the app

I ended up cleaning out my Android 7. No big deal as I only use it for Phantom. Re-installed DJI app go and works now. Somewhat. At times it still does not see camera. I will try the assistant 2 later. Thanks for the help.
try taking a picture

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, nothing has helped. I performed a factory reset and installed only the Go app and nothing else. Even tried rooting my tablet and installing a custom Marshmallow ROM (Android v6.0.x). I suspect that the video GPU chip used on my device, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (T310), is not compatible with the Go app.

Also tried capturing a photo and video. The capture did work, but I was not able to view the images inside the Go app, so even the video playback screen in the Go app doesn't work. I was able to view the images by removing the sd card and accessing on a PC.

Wow, didn't account for the cost a new tablet in this P4 venture! How many hundred do I need to spend on a compatible display device that works well without lag? Any recommendations from people successfully using Android with the P4?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 sm-t337a 8" I picked up on CL used for under $100 . Its working for me without issues , but I havent really tested it out too much as of yet.
Looking to get a bigger tablet , possibly 9.7 or 10.5 Tab S or something like that. I dont want ipads because you would need a LTE version to get the GPS features you get on a wifi only Galaxy tablet.
Here is a list of Galaxay tablets . You can sort by release dates and or resolution, size , etc. Check to make sure it works with the DJI Go App .
Compare Samsung Tablets - Tablet PC Comparison

Last edited:
Good to know the Tab 4 works. I would definitely prefer something 8", or above, but the cost is prohibitive. So I think I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 (2nd gen, 2013), primarily because it's the cheapest model listed as supported by DJI for the P4. Other advantages are that it has higher-end hardware, has very good support in the developer community, has a dedicated hdmi out connector, and can be found for little over $100 refurbished.

Maybe I shouldn't get the Nexus 7 2nd gen, but it's listed by DJI as an approved device for the P4. What's up with that? Case for the conspiracy theory grows...

Haha... I got it working now. Had to erase the whole **** tablet. Reinstalled OS and DJI go app.

Maybe I shouldn't get the Nexus 7 2nd gen, but it's listed by DJI as an approved device for the P4. What's up with that? Case for the conspiracy theory grows...
A little info on the Nexus 7's . My son has had a couple of these and they are prone to having the charging port come loose and not be able to charge . This then would mean you could not hook up to your transmitter. I gave him my last Nexus 7 because I didnt use it much. Then I found out I needed one if I was going to buy a DJI quad. Instead of taking that back , I knew it wouldnt be a good choice , even though it is approved by DJI as a top tablet for their app.
My son has been wirelessly charging it for over a year now.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, nothing has helped. I performed a factory reset and installed only the Go app and nothing else. Even tried rooting my tablet and installing a custom Marshmallow ROM (Android v6.0.x). I suspect that the video GPU chip used on my device, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (T310), is not compatible with the Go app.

Also tried capturing a photo and video. The capture did work, but I was not able to view the images inside the Go app, so even the video playback screen in the Go app doesn't work. I was able to view the images by removing the sd card and accessing on a PC.

Wow, didn't account for the cost a new tablet in this P4 venture! How many hundred do I need to spend on a compatible display device that works well without lag? Any recommendations from people successfully using Android with the P4?

Got exaclly the same problem using Android (Galaxy S5 and Tablet Note 10). No image and more than that I've got No signal and Abnormal on Overall Status. I didn't tried with Apple yet. Any suggestions guys? I have absolutely zero flights with 2 weeks after purchase.

Got exaclly the same problem using Android (Galaxy S5 and Tablet Note 10). No image and more than that I've got No signal and Abnormal on Overall Status. I didn't tried with Apple yet. Any suggestions guys? I have absolutely zero flights with 2 weeks after purchase.

I found a Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 on Craigslist which works pretty well, I just wish it was easier to see in the sun. Also picked up a used Nexus 7 (2013) for $90, because so many swear by that tablet. Haven't had a chance to try it in the daylight, but the display is very nice. Other than that, the other very popular Android tablet is the $200 nVidia Shield K1, which people like because it has screen recording capability and has an hdmi out port (plus, high-end hardware). nVidia has been having some supply issues, but lead times are supposed to be improving.

I've been using Sony Xperia z3 compact tablet but holding off from updating to 6.0 since it seems some have an issue, especially Samsung, I've tried Xperia Z5 Premium with 6.0 and it works fine, maybe it's a Samsung thing

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj