Possible to program the dji phantom with waypoints?

Reaction score
Dear all,

I´m consider to buy dji phantom for my gopro hero 3 black camera to use in a field survey. For example, I would like to make a route over a field (e.g. 250x250m) with defined waypoints, the waypoints will make up a grid system ensuring the whole area to be covered. At each waypoint a photo could be taken, this to count animals. Is this possible?

Regards,
Kes

Yes, the NAZA (including the v1 in the earlier Phantoms) will allow up to 16 Waypoints. You'll need to do some upgrading though, to install the PMU as well as the 2.4GHz or 900MHz Data Link set from DJI. Those connect to the NAZA and establish a full 2-way communication between it and whatever PC or iPad you connect to the ground link unit (which is included in the Data Link sets). The provided software will then let you control the Phantom directly as well as input waypoints for navigating.

Many outlets sell the Data Links and the prices are variable right now...some places are bundling them with other components too. Just google for "DJI Data Link"

Yes you can add the iOS ground station to it. You will notice that your flights become shorter due to the extra weight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxSoQHZX70

As far as the photos being taken, you could set the gopro to take pics every so often but not have it just taken at a waypoint. If the area you are flying is larger, you may want to consider the F450 so you can get more flight time.

Kestrel said:
Thanks for reply. What approximately will the flight time be with Data link set?

It's impossible to say exactly, but the Data Link + PMU + cabling will add 62.4g, so you can expect about a minute less flight time than whatever you were getting before you installed them.

I agree with KSC's suggestion that those are probably better suited for a different platform. I have those items as well, but they're going on the FW550 I'm building...it can be a bit much to pack on to a Phantom, depending on what else you're carrying.

I have been searching a bit around, and maybe the F450 will be the best choice. When buying F450 that is ready to fly, which specifications should I look for? Could it be programmed for a certain height and then fly above the canopy in the forest?

When using the DJI iOS ground station, you start by setting up your waypoints. Once you have them all set up, you hit take up, it takes off to 6 feet off the ground then heads to your first waypoint. You set them on an aerial google maps view (which is how you control your long/lat) and you tell it how fast you want it to get to that waypoint and at what altitude you want that way point. Keep in mind that it flies you on a straight line from one waypoint to another. So if you have a 30 foot high wall you need to get over and you have it flying from the take off spot to the other side of the wall and you set that waypoint to 30 feet, you'll hit the wall. You'll want to set a waypoint before the wall for over 30 feet, then another after the wall for over 30 feet then you can do whatever you want from there. Also, keep in mind that google maps is not always 100% correct. Some of the images could be a few months old. It could have trees with no leaves. It could be before someone built a 30 foot high wall. Just make sure you know the area before blindly relying on the google aerial image.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl