Possible to obtain top-down imagery?

Reaction score
Seems like all discussion of the Phantom is around video collection in more of a bird's eye view. Is it possible to collect video and possibly even still images from a top-down view (point camera directly down) rather than bird's eye view? If so, does anything special need to be done to position the camera this way? Also, with still images, maybe the camera could be put on a timer to snap images every so many seconds? Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

It's easy to do. Just point the camera down. And most of the current cameras such as GoPro, JVC, Astak, etc... have a selectable interval function for photos.

wilbev said:
Seems like all discussion of the Phantom is around video collection in more of a bird's eye view. Is it possible to collect video and possibly even still images from a top-down view (point camera directly down) rather than bird's eye view? If so, does anything special need to be done to position the camera this way? Also, with still images, maybe the camera could be put on a timer to snap images every so many seconds? Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
Do it all the time, been doing it for years with planes, you have to to get under the landing gear. not sure the Phantoms landing gear allows for this without seeing it in the picture, I'll try it tomorrow

My old GoPro would snap pictures every second, My new GoPro hero3 did it once and now for some reason I cant get it to auto shoot ever second. heres so I took for the local school, I had better ones but think I deleted them.

The Go Pro likes to birdseye just because of its lens, I have straightened out a lot of pics for people that didn't like the curvature on the horizon, its called puppet warp in CS Photoshop

perrydale2_zps48c6000f.jpg

GOPR0934_zps89e3276c.jpg

you'd probably want to use a couple GoPro accessories (extenders) to position the go pro so it will face completely downward- while also avoiding showing the landing legs

Yup. Without some extenders to push the GoPro down near the level of the landing gear you end up with photos of the landing gear.

You might want to practice catching the Phantom on landing instead of letting it hit the ground or you could be buying a lot of replacement lens covers for your camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers