possible Shield K1 purchase

Reaction score
Owned a P3A for 2 weeks now and had 5 flights thus far. Working things up slowly and being patient. First order was battery life so opted for a second oem flavor battery. Now I'd like something with a bit more screen to view and after all the reading I've done I think a Shield K1 fits my needs and budget...however. I've now stumbled upon all these threads talking of compass problems and seems to be related with the Marshmallow 6.0 and some have reverted back to 5.1 to cure it. Is this issue just that the compass pointer will face wrong but the flight path is still correct right? I suppose that's not a real deal killer for me if it just points wrong. I then read the procedure that was linked to Nvidia to revert back to 5.1...wtf...that procedure lost me and I'd definitely need help doing that. All I found was a recovery OS image 1.1.1 that seems like it just returns the unit to it's factory state, assuming they all shipped with 5.1 Lolipop then that's it but I'd think if you bought a unit tomorrow it would ship with 6.0. **** this stuff all gets so confusing and time consuming to sort out. After this it made me wonder if i should just opt for an ipad Mini 2 wifi_cellular? Didn't really want to spend 300 for a dedicated tablet that I have no other use for outside the P3 and why the Shield K1 seemed perfect for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Owned a P3A for 2 weeks now and had 5 flights thus far. Working things up slowly and being patient. First order was battery life so opted for a second oem flavor battery. Now I'd like something with a bit more screen to view and after all the reading I've done I think a Shield K1 fits my needs and budget...however. I've now stumbled upon all these threads talking of compass problems and seems to be related with the Marshmallow 6.0 and some have reverted back to 5.1 to cure it. Is this issue just that the compass pointer will face wrong but the flight path is still correct right? I suppose that's not a real deal killer for me if it just points wrong. I then read the procedure that was linked to Nvidia to revert back to 5.1...wtf...that procedure lost me and I'd definitely need help doing that. All I found was a recovery OS image 1.1.1 that seems like it just returns the unit to it's factory state, assuming they all shipped with 5.1 Lolipop then that's it but I'd think if you bought a unit tomorrow it would ship with 6.0. **** this stuff all gets so confusing and time consuming to sort out. After this it made me wonder if i should just opt for an ipad Mini 2 wifi_cellular? Didn't really want to spend 300 for a dedicated tablet that I have no other use for outside the P3 and why the Shield K1 seemed perfect for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I bought that you mentioned with in a few weeks of each other. I have only used the ipad mini 2 one time since loading and tweaking everything. The Nvidia is all I fly with. Btw, I bought the mini2 just to be able to use apps that were only in ios.

If you can get an iOS (Apple) tablet. They are much more simple and arguably run the GO App better. Yes the K1 is cheaper but it's not on the same level as iPads in terms of quality. An iPad Mini 2 would work fine. If you can spring for an iPad Mini 4 with cellular or an iPad Air 2 with cellular if you wanted a bigger screen.

I bought that you mentioned with in a few weeks of each other. I have only used the ipad mini 2 one time since loading and tweaking everything. The Nvidia is all I fly with. Btw, I bought the mini2 just to be able to use apps that were only in ios.
I have a k1 but am having hard time in sun light seeing the screen. Turn back to the sun doesn't help. I ordered anti glare screen cover today. Do you have any issues or solutions like a sun shield? I've read mixed reviews on those.

I have the Nvidia shield v1 (got a replacement from recall), basically the same as k1. Honestly, I've tried to fly with it, but it's almost impossible to see the screen, mind-you I have a mat screen protector and hood.

I rarely use it as I prefer to fly with my iPadmini 3 or iPhone 6+

Save your money and get something better JMO

Well I appreciate the input and now guess I'm investigating a ipad mini. A 4 might be more than I want to go, although reading about the brighter display for outdoors is intriguing. Currently using my Samsumg Galaxy S5..weee bit small and have to shut off auto brightness to crank it up and see it clearly.

Question for you ipad users. I understand you want the wifi+cellular version for gps but I'm finding a few deals for carrier versions that are not my Sprint service. Anyone find any reason to get a service plan or is all you care about is just having the gps chip so provider supported irrelevant?

Why is cellular nessesary ?

I use an old HTC without simcard and I think that it's working fine for my needs ?

I'm no Apple guy by any means but from what I read you need the cellular version ipad for gps chip

I'm no Apple guy by any means but from what I read you need the cellular version ipad for gps chip

This is correct.

If you want just GPS the. You'll need the cellular model. It's very convienant to have cellular data activated as well so that you can get real-time maps without having to first cache the maps from wifi at your house etc.

Another thing to note. Some people use their phone as a hotspot and he tablet connected to it. I think that is fine as long as your hotspot on your phone is using the 5ghz radio frequency. I have been told with Andorid phones you can pick 2.4ghz or 5ghz as the hotspot. On iPhones your can't it's always 2.4ghz. Using 2.4ghz as the hotspot is not advisable as that's the same frequency your Phantom uses. Some people do it anyway and don't report issues. I don't but typically my flights are distance flights so I want the cleanest signals.

This is correct.

If you want just GPS the. You'll need the cellular model. It's very convienant to have cellular data activated as well so that you can get real-time maps without having to first cache the maps from wifi at your house etc.
My understanding is that you have to cache maps with the WIFI only (non-GPS) model. IF you have GPS, even without cellular turned on, you should still get maps. The same is true with any cell phone that is without service: GPS still works, as does maps.

Speck, iPad Air 2 user, WIFI only.

all shipped with 5.1 Lolipop then that's it but I'd think if you bought a unit tomorrow it would ship with 6.0. **** this stuff all gets so confusing and time consuming to sort out. After this it made me wonder if i should just opt for an ipad Mini 2 wifi_cellular? Didn't really want to spend 300 for a dedicated tablet that I have no other use for outside the P3 and why the Shield K1 seemed perfect for me.

I got my Shield not so long ago (Delivered 02/18/2016 from B&H). Mine came with Lolipop. I didn't upgrade to Marshmallow. Its been fine. Don't go to the dark side (apple). Stay open and free!

I do suggest you get some sort of sun shade. Either make one as I did or buy a commercial one.

As for the cellular conversation...
Need is a harsh word here. You don't NEED it. But it can be nice to have. Without it you will probably want to cache the maps in the app (Go/Litchi/etc). That way you will have a map while flying. But if you don't its not a biggie. The relative position is good enough and I have flown several times that way without issue. Its simple to cache the maps when connected to WiFi. Also, with no net connection in the field the flight logs won't auto sync to places like Healthy Drones. Not a biggie either. Can be done when you get home.

You can use your cell phone as a WiFi hotspot when flying with a non-cell device. Obviously data rates will apply. Don't cave to Verizon's ripoff WiFi hotspot fee. I bought FoxFi app ($5) years ago. Best **** $5 I ever spent on an app. FoxFi is now part of PDANet+ and the price is now $8. Still worth it. I use it when flying with the shield Just start the hotspot and drop my phone in my pocket. I have the Shield set to auto-connect to it and my home WiFi.

And for trips! What a Godsend. I turn it on and plug the phone into the charger. Granddaughters connect their tablets and my laptop and the old lady her tablet to the hotspot and we truck on down the interstate watching netflix, youtube, old lady reading her books, kids playin their games. I have definitely gotten my $5 worth! Of course I am grandfathered into the unlimited data plan ;)

My understanding is that you have to cache maps with the WIFI only (non-GPS) model. IF you have GPS, even without cellular turned on, you should still get maps. The same is true with any cell phone that is without service: GPS still works, as does maps.

Speck, iPad Air 2 user, WIFI only.

Not true, GPS does not provide you with cellular data. You need cellular data to cache maps without a wifi connection. All GPS does it lock onto satellites. It doesn't really mean anything unless you have a map to see where you are. That map comes from downloading it via a cellular or wifi connection.

Just my own 2-cents..
Fair newb to the P3, but I've been flying other quads (P1, Hubsan, Blade, etc) for years..

My Ipad air 2 works great, but no GPS (wifi model) and I found it to be a bit bulky. So I picked up a shield K1 and an anti-glare screen protector and could not be happier. I tether data to it when needed from my cell phone, it has GPS, and as for the compass issue, I upgraded to Marshmallow and haven't had any issues at all.

I've not regretted the purchase for even one minute .. I'm sure I'd have been happy with the Ipad Mini also, but this was a much cheaper option that works great.

Changed my mind on the Asus7 & ordered a Nexus shield. A bit expensive, but... oh well.
$199 US, plus charger, exchange rate to CanuckBucks, shipping, taxes, turned into nearly $400.
It's only my FPV thingie, I don't even have cell service out here in the boonies!
I understand I need to clean all the "stuff" off the card & format & then install the GO app, izzat right?
Is there any advantage to go to a 32 GIG card other than longer (more) vid's?

Changed my mind on the Asus7 & ordered a Nexus shield. A bit expensive, but... oh well.
$199 US, plus charger, exchange rate to CanuckBucks, shipping, taxes, turned into nearly $400.
It's only my FPV thingie, I don't even have cell service out here in the boonies!
I understand I need to clean all the "stuff" off the card & format & then install the GO app, izzat right?
Is there any advantage to go to a 32 GIG card other than longer (more) vid's?

Nexus shield? Think you mean nVidia Shield? Right?

Not sure where you are going with this "stuff" and formatting cards. If you mean the card you put in the Phantom, then, yes you should clean it off after each flight after downloading it to your PC. If you mean a card for the nVidia Shield, then yea, probably clean it before dropping it in the Shield.

I have, however, not seen the need for an additional card for my Shield. I don't do much screen recording on it and what I do, I copy off right away. The P3 holds the full rez video, not your tablet. Some screenshots, previews and low rez video are all your tablet will see other than the text logs.

As for the phantom, there may or may not be a need for a 32g card. I have them but I am flying a P3P and shooting in 4k. That takes space. If you are flying a P3A or P3S, no, 32g is way larger than you need. I prefer to go the route of multiple smaller cards instead of one big fat card. When I change batteries, I change cards. That way if the bird ever goes down, I don't loose a whole day of shooting. Just what it shot that flight. So I have 3 32g cards for the P3P and 4 16g cards for the P3A (and a free 8g card DJI left in the P3A after repairs). They all fit in a tiny box so its not a biggie to carry them.

Yep, the NV shield. (red face icon)
Yep, I was wondering about the video record card. Won't buy one yet then. The only thing on the shield card will be the GO app, right? My gear will be arriving sometime late next week & am trying to understand all this new stuff. (I have no cell service out here so don't need any internet stuff.)
Thanks for the reply!

GO can cache the low quality (720) video that is sent via the video link. That takes space of course. One of the first things I did was turn off video caching. Kinda pointless since you have the full res on the bird. Also, if you use litchi, it can cache 10 or so jpegs per flight as previews. Again not a big space user.

The biggest consumer will be the flight logs of either GO or Litchi. I have been flying since beginning of Feb without any extra card in my Shield. Its not whining about being full. I don't see the logs being an issue either. Again, you can throw a card at it later if you feel the urge.

You absolutely don't need a card for the Shield right away.

Do you have internet at home? If so connect the shield to your WiFi. Open GO or Litchi (whichever you want to fly with). Scroll the map around where you intend to fly. Zoom in and out to get all the scales of maps. This pre-caches the maps onto the shield. Then when you are out flying without internet, you will still have the google maps.

Reactions: NimpoCub

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31