Possible reason Phantom 3s fall from the sky?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new battery for my P3A and put it in, it clicked in place, so I was good to go. When I got ready to fly and was calibrating the compass, I noticed that the battery didn't look seated all the way. I gave it a tug and it seemed secure. I got ready to take off and I just didn't feel right about the battery so I gave it a STRONG tug and it came out. I pushed it back in and it clicked as if it was seated but another strong tug pulled it out. I had to push pretty hard to get it to seat all the way. A slight smack with my palm actually seated it nicely. I have been flying for quite some time and almost took off with a battery that wasn't secure. My other batteries seat quite easy so I didn't catch this right away. I wonder how many other people have made the same mistake and once in the air, the vibration worked the battery loose? Here are a couple pictures of the battery when it seemed "locked in" and then after it was actually seated.
[file]Battery not seated|thumb|none[/file]
[file]Battery seated|thumb|none[/file]

I recently purchased a new battery for my P3A and put it in, it clicked in place, so I was good to go. When I got ready to fly and was calibrating the compass, I noticed that the battery didn't look seated all the way. I gave it a tug and it seemed secure. I got ready to take off and I just didn't feel right about the battery so I gave it a STRONG tug and it came out. I pushed it back in and it clicked as if it was seated but another strong tug pulled it out. I had to push pretty hard to get it to seat all the way. A slight smack with my palm actually seated it nicely. I have been flying for quite some time and almost took off with a battery that wasn't secure. My other batteries seat quite easy so I didn't catch this right away. I wonder how many other people have made the same mistake and once in the air, the vibration worked the battery loose? Here are a couple pictures of the battery when it seemed "locked in" and then after it was actually seated.
[file]Battery not seated|thumb|none[/file]
[file]Battery seated|thumb|none[/file]
Here's a short video regarding the batteries "clicking" from back when the issue first came to light.

Caution - Batteries don't fully insert without force

Reactions: JoBe
I have one battery that I have a hell of a time getting out. I have a P3A and P3S and it is hard on both of them. I have to push a flat screw driver to release it so I can pull it out. That is my forth battery so I don't use it all the time. Has anyone else had that problem?

My newest two batteries were a bit snug to extract. But over time, over a few dozen uses, they have become more manageable.

RedHotPoker

Initial lot of batteries were just fit and there were reports that one needs to ensure that they are sitting perfectly. New lots had new designs with tighter designs.

Thanks for posting the comparison pics. It seems really obvious when the battery isnt seated properly.

I always have a good look at the area where the battery meets the body before i fly, have done since this issue was first talked about. That sort of gap may even cause a comnection issue even without the battery falling out. Not good.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20