Possible problem with DBS

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a Phantom 3 standard. In my usual spot I was getting out to about 2000' with a windsurfer. A couple days ago, I installed a DBS antenna. Now Im getting around 2300-2500 feet. The area I'm in, is a sub-urban residential area in Southern California where practically every house has wifi. Should I be expecting more gain from this mod or is this gain average for the area I'm in?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello Steve! DBS mod does increase the range, but it does not increase the penetration of the signal. So if you are flying in the field where are not much interference signals, the range will definitely will be increased to 2000m (6000feet) but in the residential area, where are a lot of wifi and other signals the range will stay the same. To extent the range here you need to increase the power of the transmitor so the penetration of the signal will be better. As i know in the US drones are set to FCC mode so you have stronger signal (27dB) than we have in Europe, but i saw some videos on youtube where guy was able to increase it to 33dB by changing a code.
I have DBS antenna on my P3S, and i easily fly 2km outside the city, but in residential area i loose video already at 50m! (150ft) and control goes away at 150m. It is ridiculous so i tried to do the ftp mod but bircked the rc...
So my advise is, if you want to fly really far away in the city - buy a P3 advanced or professional, unless you want to spend hours reading forums, soldering, changing code and etc....

Yep, i only get 500-800m (1600-2600ft) in a small town within a large park, but went over 1600m (5250ft )without trying yesterday when in open country. I still had full signal strength too.

Im using cheap directional antennas on my remote, so similar to DBS mod.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers